• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are some games it might work, but Fardy shifting to lock when our reserve tighthead is on the field against England sounds like a nightmare situation for us.

Doesn't that depend, who comes on as reserve lock?

The presumption of say Simmons and Carter starting, Skelton coming on for Carter and later Simmons going off, and then Fardy going to lock as Higgers or McCalman start a session is not the worst approach

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Realistically the only two forwards I would expect to play 80 minutes are Hooper and Fardy, the rest will be managed

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Doesn't that depend, who comes on as reserve lock?

The presumption of say Simmons and Carter starting, Skelton coming on for Carter and later Simmons going off, and then Fardy going to lock as Higgers or McCalman start a session is not the worst approach

I've actually been really impressed with Skelton's scrum development and game time this season and would be starting him atm, hopefully with an in form Simmons (though that depends on what sort of form he returns with). For that England game I'd want a traditional lock (though I could be convinced of Dennis or Timani) coming off the bench for Skelton at about the same time as the tight head. The big issue with shifting Fardy in after 60 is not just the drop in scrummaging but also playing a tired player in the tight 5 at the same time. The state of our scrum reputation atm is such that one collapse with the reserves on and the ref might be all over us.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've actually been really impressed with Skelton's scrum development and game time this season and would be starting him atm, hopefully with an in form Simmons (though that depends on what sort of form he returns with). For that England game I'd want a traditional lock (though I could be convinced of Dennis or Timani) coming off the bench for Skelton at about the same time as the tight head. The big issue with shifting Fardy in after 60 is not just the drop in scrummaging but also playing a tired player in the tight 5 at the same time. The state of our scrum reputation atm is such that one collapse with the reserves on and the ref might be all over us.

Maybe, but the he has never had an issue doing a shift with the Ponies, and we aren't going to carry two locks on the bench usually. So it will be a 6/5 option stepping up or Simmons playing 80.

So the question for me is whether a tired Simmons would be any better than say Fardy finishing at lock

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, even though the ARU doesn't have a policy to rest test players before the RWC, it looks like some will get that rest nevertheless. To'omua, Kuridrani, Sio for example.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe, but the he has never had an issue doing a shift with the Ponies, and we aren't going to carry two locks on the bench usually. So it will be a 6/5 option stepping up or Simmons playing 80.

So the question for me is whether a tired Simmons would be any better than say Fardy finishing at lock

Simmons is an 80 minute player.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cooper is on the bench at best, Foley isn't firing, and with Larkham in charge of the backline I'm very much leaning towards To'omua getting the 10 jersey.

A long way to go of course.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cooper is on the bench at best, Foley isn't firing, and with Larkham in charge of the backline I'm very much leaning towards To'omua getting the 10 jersey.

A long way to go of course.
Yeah, it's a worry if our options keep thinning. I'm concerned Cooper will not get enough meaningful footy before the Rugby Championship - he'll be in the reckoning if he's fit, but short on match practice. If To'omua was to start at 10, and it's a very real possibility, the next question is 12. Easy to say Leali'ifano, but he's been a bit hot and cold too. Considering that To'omua would be a lock at 12 if Foley or Cooper start, you would think. Could be some pretty big changes. Plus we have to think about goal-kickers. Aaaargggh!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yes, goal kicker is a big consideration. It's too early to write off Foley and Cooper, both are excellent on their day, they just need to be fit and in form. But in any case I guess there's the possibility of one or more of Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and even Hunt being out there as well.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yes possibly, and also probably a bit knee jerk. But he is an injury magnet and Foley is playing crap, even if it's just a temporary form slump, neither are ideal for your RWC #10!

But time will tell.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Look, as far as I'm concerned it comes down to this.
- To'omua has played the best footy at 12 of any wallaby in that position over that last 3-4 years
- Cooper has more potential upside at 10 than any other candidate for that jersey. His purported downsides have diminished every year for the last several.

We should be going to the World Cup with the attitude to win games rather than avoid losing. Let's have our selections reflect that

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
12. To'omua

21. Genia
22. Foley

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
Do we have a scrum coach/forwards coach yet? Even with optimum backs, we need someone to guide the pigs if we're to rub out Wales and England in the pool games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Do we have a scrum coach/forwards coach yet? Even with optimum backs, we need someone to guide the pigs if we're to rub out Wales and England in the pool games.

Do we really need a scrum/forwards coach until (just before) the test squad assembles? Who would he be working with? Perhaps getting around to as many games as possible and analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the competing options would be a good start, but pretty well inconsistent with the inputs of the other coaching staff atm while they are concentrating on their respective Super teams.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do we really need a scrum/forwards coach until (just before) the test squad assembles? Who would he be working with? Perhaps getting around to as many games as possible and analysing the strengths and weaknesses of the competing options would be a good start, but pretty well inconsistent with the inputs of the other coaching staff atm while they are concentrating on their respective Super teams.
Yeah, probably not I agree. In Utopian Australian Rugby World, it'd be great to have a central set-piece / forward coach who could take an over-arching role assisting / co-ordinating all franchises in the Kiwi fashion during this part of the season, then hands-on during the Test windows.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After the performances of Australian super rugby teams this weekend, we had all better cross our fingers and hope it's not a pre-curser to the world cup.

edit: (wanted to rant more) Our coaches looked inept and had no back up options against what were pretty basic opposition game plans (maybe Larkham can be forgiven as To'omua's injury caused a re-shuffle early. Particularly concerned with Cheika, who despite having TPN and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) come off the bench in a tight game, couldn't figure out how to penetrate the Stormers defence (which has been woeful in recent weeks)).

Pocock, Horne, and (from what I've heard) Gill were the only players who impressed from what I saw.

On a serious note, is White still considered our back up #9?

Thought he and Foley were extremely poor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
After the performances of Australian super rugby teams this weekend, we had all better cross our fingers and hope it's not a pre-curser to the world cup.

Pocock, Horne, and (from what I've heard) Gill were the only players who impressed.

On a serious note, is White still considered our back up #9?

Thought he and Foley were extremely poor.
Well, it has been a bad round, but I wouldn't condemn all the players just yet. Plenty have had good matches this season thus far. Let's wait until week 15 or so before we all perform seppuku.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, it has been a bad round, but I wouldn't condemn all the players just yet. Plenty have had good matches this season thus far. Let's wait until week 15 or so before we all perform seppuku.

Very true. However, I think considering the blokes we have out injured, the lack of form of potential other incumbents is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.