• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
d I'm sorry I haven't seen Poey play for 3 years.

3 years?! didn't poey get MOTM against Wales on the 2012 EOYT. That was less than 2 years ago. He also put in a few high quality performances for the Brumbies at the start of 2013 and 2014

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
(particularly if you got a bit of a lead in the game and wanted to amp up defense). It would probably come down to whether you had the right backs to cover all positions with 2 bench backs
There is my point;
Link plays to win.
Deans played not to lose.
They are both awesome players, and we can all have our preferences.
IMO Smith was better than both of them, but Deans still opted for Poeys defensive strength over the ball and that one dimensional game

But this is the 2015 RWC thread, let's play to win it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
3 years?! didn't poey get MOTM against Wales on the 2012 EOYT. That was less than 2 years ago. He also put in a few high quality performances for the Brumbies at the start of 2013 and 2014
He's a good player, just not my pick. Hooper brings more IMO.

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
There is my point;
Link plays to win.
Deans played not to lose.
They are both awesome players, and we can all have our preferences.
IMO Smith was better than both of them, but Deans still opted for Poeys defensive strength over the ball and that one dimensional game

But this is the 2015 RWC thread, let's play to win it.

He was just about the world's best player in 2010-2011. The idea that he's too one dimensional is as ridiculous as people saying he is going to walk straight back into the starting 7 jersey next year. I agree that Hooper fits our game plan well but Poey (in form) is world class.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It would be nice to think we could have 2 of the world's best 7s at the WC, with no chance of reliving the debacle of the 2011 WC where we had no backup for pocock

Yes and I see Sio, Skelton, Jones, making huge strides over the next 12 months.

T

Train Without a Station

haha I would think if you were going to play two 7s at once, you wouldn't be stupid enough to play Palu and Skelton at the same time.

You're really starting to limit your flexibility if that's the case then.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
You're really starting to limit your flexibility if that's the case then.

him.jpg

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd suggest three changes only to your squad. Jones in for McCalman as he has greater impact and more potential, Burgess in for Phipps as he is a better player, and almost anyone in for JO'C but I'll go with Crawford. Don't need self interested knobs anywhere near the Wallabies.
Edit : on second thoughts, McCabe for Crawford. Didn't see that he was missing from the list before.

i like jones and i dont like mccalman, but i didnt think carter was up to test standard and he didnt do so badly, and mccalman gets through heaps of work but just doesn't cut it as a starting 8 physically. I like your change there though and YES I do like burgess - was just trying to be realistic - even actually starting to prefer phipps over white now. Phipps may be just annoying to look at but white has been pretty ordinary with passing and kicking lately.

I'd go Morohan or CFS over Mccabe or crawford - but depends on whether or not you need extra centre cover or if CFS has a injury free and solid super rugby season.

Can't see JOC (James O'Connor) missing out unless the Reds do get Hunt and he does a great job. JOC (James O'Connor) is a douche but he is an awesome player and just like beale, he would tear sh*t up off the bench

Healz

Frank Row (1)
Seems to be a fair bit of a talk over who is the best seven. I think Pocock will find his form at the right end of the season and we will be having the same conversation this time next year. Its probably more a question of what the pack needs rather than who is the better athlete.

I think the possibility of Skelton becoming a regular starter has the potential to change roles and selections in other positions. All of the sudden we have a lock who brings an enormous physical presence to the field and has a strong running and linking game but can't jump. You then have to wonder if guys like Palu are really adding something to the pack or just doubling up on roles and further limiting our options come lineout time.

The same goes a bloke like Hooper. If you have Skelton running on, decide to keep Palu in the starting XV and have an in form Pocock in the wings is his running and linking really needed when you already have several blokes in the starting XV filling those roles and you need lineout options?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It'll be all about team balance and the preferred game plan I think. Link will have in mind the kind of footy he'll want to play against specific opponents and select accordingly. You're right in that you can't go too far one way or another. Too many athletes and not enough rock shifters is bad, but so is a pack full of gnarly enforcers and nobody to win a lineout.

Reactions: BDA

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think the possibility of Skelton becoming a regular starter has the potential to change roles and selections in other positions.
Example Skelton against the AB's No, Boks and others yes.

All of the sudden we have a lock who brings an enormous physical presence to the field and has a strong running and linking game but can't jump. You then have to wonder if guys like Palu are really adding something to the pack or just doubling up on roles and further limiting our options come lineout time.
Palu had the mobility though.
Skelton need more and more and more game time, this will do him good.

The same goes a bloke like Hooper. If you have Skelton running on, decide to keep Palu in the starting XV and have an in form Pocock in the wings is his running and linking really needed when you already have several blokes in the starting XV filling those roles and you need lineout options?
Shit yeah look at the running he did on the weekend, that is a perfect example of why. But Palu also had one of his best ever games.

As for JOC (James O'Connor), there have been heaps of clowns who have come into the game as stars at 18 - 24, and their maturity has grown from 25 on wards.

I can't pick a team 12 months out so won't even try

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It'll be all about team balance and the preferred game plan I think. Link will have in mind the kind of footy he'll want to play against specific opponents and select accordingly. You're right in that you can't go too far one way or another. Too many athletes and not enough rock shifters is bad, but so is a pack full of gnarly enforcers and nobody to win a lineout.

Also the Wallabies could be playing 7 games in the RWC, so options for player selection will be important

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No idea why people still mention Pocock, he hasn't shown form for 3 years now. IMO he shouldn't even get a mention until he can show he can play 80, and then maybe show he can make the starting side of the a Brumbies.

Next people might mention Eales because he was awesome.

Nah. Poey is just injured, Eales is in a retirement home (Rugby HQ). Now, Dan Palmer - there's a different proposition.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Palu
Genia
Cooper
Speight (wrong wing but I don't care, he plays more like a left than right wing)
To'omua
Kuridrani
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

TPN
Sio
Alexander
Horwill
McCalman
Pocock
Giteau
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Charles, Weeks, Carter, Higgenbotham, Gill, White, Godwin, Cummins

There. No need to thank me. World Cup winning squad right there.
Would win the Bledisloe, RC, Mandela Plate, etc.
Women would get pregnant just by looking at it, it's that potent.

And grown men will jump off the Gap at the mere mention of JOC (James O'Connor) and Giteau.

Status
Not open for further replies.