• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I suspect whoever plays 10 for the wallabies will be stationed in the back 3 defensively with Horne or another winger for example slotting into defend at 10. Should help with bomb defusal efforts at the back and returning fire when required.

Under this system having a playmaking winger e.g JOC (James O'Connor) can be an advantage. Which is not to say it's right but it's a consideration

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect whoever plays 10 for the wallabies will be stationed in the back 3 defensively with Horne or another winger for example slotting into defend at 10. Should help with bomb defusal efforts at the back and returning fire when required.

Why won't the 10 be defending in the line? Yes the 10 should drop back when it looks like the opposition is going drop back and kick, but it seems far to much shuffling for the line defensively.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aside from off first phase play, every side in the world has their 10 drop back regularly in general play when they don't have the ball.

The Wallabies may well do it on first phase play as well similar to the Tahs where the 10 might defend at hooker off a defensive lineout.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Aside from off first phase play, every side in the world has their 10 drop back regularly in general play when they don't have the ball.

The Wallabies may well do it on first phase play as well similar to the Tahs where the 10 might defend at hooker off a defensive lineout.

This is what I mean. Beale also defends on the wing

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Still backing a losing argument PK if you think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be picked at winger in front of Henry Speight. Same situation exists there as at 13 where both Kuridrani and Speight have overtaken him in those spots. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be competing with Rob Horne for the other wing spot atm, and I would have Horne in front there also.
well glad to move on but Id say my runs are on the board backing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in Wallaby gold and , It would be speight and the others who have to prove me wrong.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
well glad to move on but Id say my runs are on the board backing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in Wallaby gold and , It would be speight and the others who have to prove me wrong.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) starts given he is always a solid performer. I would just be surprised given the form of the others. He'd have to be first choice on the bench to cover positions 13-15 easily.

Probably be the most unlucky player to miss out if he isn't in the 23.

But that's rugby.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne will find themselves 2nd and 3rd to Mitchell.

Not that I'm going to argue that Mitchell isn't a better option than those two (he may be) but I would find it hard to believe that he's already leap-frogged Horne in Cheika's eyes. I could certainly see Cheika putting him in TRC squad and ultimately deciding that he's the best option at 11, but at this stage he's surely outside the 23.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Slightly random question....

If any of the European based Aussies get a call up to the TRC or say Fiji have a training camp in Fiji, who foots the bills for the players flights to and from?? Do the ARU drop how ever much it is for return flights to France or do they need to find their own way home?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I would imagine the ARU will. But surely its not a major outlay. They are after all called the Qantas Wallabies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
True, just another little thing we've never had to deal with before. Wonder if it's the same for the smaller nations who don't have the sponsorship/money/players are spread across the world

T

TOCC

The organisation covers the bill, a good organisation will have everything outlined and given to the player in an itinerary with booking and confirmation details...

ARU would probably use QBT, who actually provide all this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I'd be almost certain that part of Qantas sponsorship agreement is providing free flights. Considering all Super Rugby teams appear to travel Qantas also, I'd imagine Super Rugby travel would be part of the sponsorship also.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
True, just another little thing we've never had to deal with before. Wonder if it's the same for the smaller nations who don't have the sponsorship/money/players are spread across the world

The whole uproar from Samoa was because the players were footing their own plane bills to fly to training from Europe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be almost certain that part of Qantas sponsorship agreement is providing free flights. Considering all Super Rugby teams appear to travel Qantas also, I'd imagine Super Rugby travel would be part of the sponsorship also.

The ARU might get some sort of rebate from Qantas as their sponsor but my memory from reading the ARU financials is that the three SANZAR nations share the travel costs for Super Rugby.

I.e. it isn't a case of everyone fend for themselves and if you've got an airline sponsor good luck to you.

T

Train Without a Station

The ARU might get some sort of rebate from Qantas as their sponsor but my memory from reading the ARU financials is that the three SANZAR nations share the travel costs for Super Rugby.

I.e. it isn't a case of everyone fend for themselves and if you've got an airline sponsor good luck to you.

Travel costs would likely include accommodation, etc. though wouldn't it? Airline sponsors (partners) are quite common in sport. AFL has Virgin for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.