• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
d61275687cea7c3ced9597f566f49ae9.jpg

Nick seems to be the name of the halves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
JOC (James O'Connor) might make the squad, but he wouldn't be in my match day 23. If I were selecting the backline it would be:

9. Phipps
10. Cooper/Foley

12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani

11. Horne
14. Speight
15. Folau

21. Genia
22. Cooper/Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Lets say JOC (James O'Connor) is put in ahead of Horne or Speight, he would still be a 4th choice 10 option. I think you pick your two best 10s or at the very least 2 guys that play 10.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Last week Phipps was poor. There were passes where the player had to stop to take the pass one which was Kepu not only had to stop but reach backwards for the ball. This isn't international quality. Genia should be there as long as he plays like the last few weeks.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate. He's the only Australian fly half since Elton Flatley to have won a test against the B&I Lions.

And the only one to lose two tests to the B&I Lions since Flats. But he still should have been our 10 instead of a halfback who had never played professionally. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Phipps is well ahead for the style Cheika wants to play. Genia doesn't have the speed to the breakdown to do that at the moment.

Genia spent a lot of time running across field against the Force which only worked because their defence was so passive. They stood off and that created holes rather than rushing up and smashing him.

There's no doubt Phipps' consistency needs to improve though. He's not playing at the level he was last year.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree BH. Genia is a player that doesn't suit Cheika's game plan from last year and this years Tahs game plan. Hopefully he changes it for the WC because it won't work IMO against better quality defences that now know how he plays. You need another option at least and just speed to the breakdown won't be enough to beat the best. You need a thinker there which Genia is and a great passer.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
JOC (James O'Connor) might make the squad, but he wouldn't be in my match day 23. If I were selecting the backline it would be:

9. Phipps
10. Cooper/Foley

12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani

11. Horne
14. Speight
15. Folau

21. Genia
22. Cooper/Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Lets say JOC (James O'Connor) is put in ahead of Horne or Speight, he would still be a 4th choice 10 option. I think you pick your two best 10s or at the very least 2 guys that play 10.

Interesting - like all those players and structure. I am now thinking about the structure of the bench for the NH RWC. will we have 2 or 3 backs on the bench?

Given QC (Quade Cooper) / Foley / To'omua all play 10 are we looking at a 9 & an the likes of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the bench, or do we have 3 backs on the bench.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Genia vs Phipps debate highlights one thing- Nic White is really in danger of missing the plane for the RWC.

I think his form has dropped off a fair bit from where it was earlier this year. He was poor against the Bulls, particularly in the last 10 minutes where he made a number of errors. I wonder if he is worth the risk at International level, the gap between his good things and bad things is so much wider than Phipps and Genia.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that because you think Stirzaker will make the #3 spot or because Cheika will only pick 2 exclusive halfbacks? I'd go the latter.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
6:2 benches are overstated in their value I reckon. A 9 and goalkicking 10 on the bench are non-negotiable in my view. But I think you also need another outside/midfield back option that provides fresh legs and run for late in the game.

I think about so many tests where the AB reserve backs have made a huge difference late in the test. Leon MacDonald, Barrett, Luke McAllister, Crotty, Ben Smith (before he was a starter), Toeava.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Last week Phipps was poor. There were passes where the player had to stop to take the pass one which was Kepu not only had to stop but reach backwards for the ball. This isn't international quality. Genia should be there as long as he plays like the last few weeks.

Trouble is that is the first time he has played like that in nearly two years, and those other games he has played like that have been isolated and not part of a trend in form.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
My 31-Man Wallaby Squad (thoughts, concerns or players missing welcome)

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Will Skelton
5. James Horwill
6. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley Cooper
15. Israel Folau
RESERVES
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Alexander
18. Scott Sio
19. Sam Carter (Depending on Injury)
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nick Phipps
22. Bernard Foley
23. Matt Giteau
REST OF SQUAD
24. Pek Cowan
25. Tatafu Polota-Nau
26. Rob Simmons/Adam Coleman/ Scott Fardy
27. Liam Gill
28. Nic White
29-31 out of: Christian Lealiifano, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Samu Kerevi

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
M
My 31-Man Wallaby Squad (thoughts, concerns or players missing welcome)

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Will Skelton
5. James Horwill
6. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley Cooper
15. Israel Folau
RESERVES
16. James Hanson
17. Ben Alexander
18. Scott Sio
19. Sam Carter (Depending on Injury)
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nick Phipps
22. Bernard Foley
23. Matt Giteau
REST OF SQUAD
24. Pek Cowan
25. Tatafu Polota-Nau
26. Rob Simmons/Adam Coleman/ Scott Fardy
27. Liam Gill
28. Nic White
29-31 out of: Christian Lealiifano, Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Samu Kerevi
No speight?
Thought Jones given lock and 6

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, the latter. Should have made that clear.

Stirzaker still a year away IMO.

Really? Cheika would be crazy not to take 3 halfbacks. To consider Gits a halfback when he has only played around 2 games his entire career is also a bit nuts.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you pick Giteau in the squad as the 3rd halfback you're not expecting him to play halfback unless there's an injury 48 hours before a Test. Even then he will be on the bench and might only get a couple mins or none. You'd expect the 2 halfbacks to make every 23. Nic White will be in France during the RWC and if there's an injury you can just bring him in. A RWC spot would be wasted on a 3rd halfback who shouldn't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.