• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi guys, what do you think of my starting XV?

1. Slipper
2. Moore (C)
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock (VC)
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Please note Jones would have been a straight swap for Simmons if in the squad, and O'Connor would have come in for speight.
I think you're spot on with most of those. All forwards i would agree with, could perhaps see McCalman instead of higgers (as much as i rate him), but knowing Chek we'll end up with Wycliff Pillow. I think they will go with Phipps at 9 to keep the combination . I would go with To'omua at 12 currently depending on Gits form in TRC. Would like to see Mitchell on 1 wing and possibly Rob Horne going off form, would love to see sleight if he regains his 2013-2014 form. I think form in TRC will decide the 2 wingers out of the 4 possibles.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
That's a good point on Rob Horne, always been a big fan but I feel he lacks a bit of magic. However, his defence could be very useful come the world cup, and if we were to play to play Giteau at 12, then Horne should probably start as he defends well there. If To'omua were to start at 12, then you could choose any wingers due to his excellent defence. I like Phipps and his speed of service, however, he has no kicking game and Genia's experience could be useful.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Hi guys, what do you think of my starting XV?

1. Slipper
2. Moore (C)
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock (VC)
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Please note Jones would have been a straight swap for Simmons if in the squad, and O'Connor would have come in for speight.

Forwards + Folau look about right (7 and 8 the main contentious spots). Kuridrani good chance and Speight when he's eligible again. 9-12 I suspect will go different ways.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
I think that you're right Benaud, and that they will go with Phibbs and To'omua. However I think that Giteau should be given an early crack, as he is used to European rugby, and his goalkicking is a major asset. Whilst To'omua has always performed well for the Wallabies, he has not played a lot of rugby this year.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's a good point on Rob Horne, always been a big fan but I feel he lacks a bit of magic. However, his defence could be very useful come the world cup, and if we were to play to play Giteau at 12, then Horne should probably start as he defends well there. If To'omua were to start at 12, then you could choose any wingers due to his excellent defence. I like Phipps and his speed of service, however, he has no kicking game and Genia's experience could be useful.

Completely agree. Its nice to have some tough decisions. The bench will be very interesting. Going off my starting 15 you have Cooper, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kerevi, Naiyaravoro, Gits and Speight/Mitchell/Horne all vying for 2 spots. Lealiifano and Tomane will be unfortunate omissions.
I'm envious of NZ's spoils. Choosing 2 centres from Nonu, Smith, Fekitoa and Sonny bill would be a nice headache.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
They are 4 of the best centres in the world, however it is still an easy choice in my opinion. Nonu has been outstanding this season for the Hurricanes (which is a surprise), and Conrad Smith is as safe as they come. Fekitoa and SBW's time will come (if SBW stays around).

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
BlueBagger - Tomane is one of the form wingers....

Yeah i partly agree. He's a great player and has really worked on his still under the high ball, however realistically he had one really good game in the semis and hasn't really shone at an international level given his chances. I think Horne is the form winger but you need someone with raw pace on the other sting which in a perfect world would be an inform Speight.

T

TOCC

And just out of interest, here is the 32 man Wallaby squad from 2014

2014 Rugby Championship Squad
PROP
Ben Alexander
Pek Cowan
Sekope Kepu
Scott Sio
James Slipper
HOOKER
Nathan Charles
James Hanson
Tatafu Polota-Nau
LOCK
Sam Carter
James Horwill
Rob Simmons
Will Skelton
BACKROW
Scott Fardy
Scott Higginbotham
Matt Hodgson
Michael Hooper (c)
Ben McCalman
Wycliff Palu
SCRUMHALF
Luke Burgess
Nick Phipps
Nic White
FLYHALF
Kurtley Beale
Bernard Foley
CENTRE
Tevita Kuridrani
Christian Leali’ifano
Matt To'omua
BACK-THREE
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Henry Speight
Israel Folau
Rob Horne
Pat McCabe
Joe Tomane

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They are 4 of the best centres in the world, however it is still an easy choice in my opinion. Nonu has been outstanding this season for the Hurricanes (which is a surprise), and Conrad Smith is as safe as they come. Fekitoa and SBW's time will come (if SBW stays around).

Wait you honestly rate SBW and Fekitoa in the top 4 centres in the world? What did SBW even do this year..

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
Wait you honestly rate SBW and Fekitoa in the top 4 centres in the world? What did SBW even do this year..

Not the 4 best, but 4 of the best. Fekitoa and SBW would rank in the top 10 centres in the world, and would walk into any international team bar NZ. I agree that SBW wasn't at his best this year, as he missed a lot of footy, but there were still glimpses to suggest how good he can be when he is consistently on the paddock.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
SBW did absolutely nothing without Cruden. There's plenty of teams who he wouldn't walk into. Fekitoa is the real deal though. He's going to be a terror for the next decade.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
SBW did absolutely nothing without Cruden. There's plenty of teams who he wouldn't walk into. Fekitoa is the real deal though. He's going to be a terror for the next decade.

Everyone loves to hate on SBW, but he's a class player. He led the competition for offloads despite missing plenty of games. Which teams would you not have him in expect the All Blacks?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Everyone loves to hate on SBW, but he's a class player. He led the competition for offloads despite missing plenty of games. Which teams would you not have him in expect the All Blacks?
Australia, France, Wales, Ireland? He just wasn't very good this year.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
He would walk straight in to all those teams. For his own standards, I can agree with your statement that he wasn't very good, but class is permanent and he is a world class rugby player. But that is just my opinion, and you are entitled to your own.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Can someone do that compare stats thingy from the sanzar site on Dennis v jones for the super rugby season? It's academic now but irrespective of the inclusion of mumm and Arnold I reckon they were competing for the same spot. The 4th lock / loosie spot.

I've looked extensively on the site but can't find out how do it anywhere!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm coming into this late, so sorry if I'm repeating earlier comments but there are a few selections I disagree with.

I hate to play the favouritism card but its probably no coincidence that the most contentious selections in my mind are all waratahs - Mr T, Dennis and Mumm. Not that I don't think all are decent players which are each in their own way worthy of selection, they are. It's more that I can't work out why they were chosen ahead of other players.

Jones has undoubtedly had a better season than Dennis, and Mumm really didn't feature at all. I will say that I'm a big believer in avoiding rookie players in a world cup year, and experience definitely works in both players' favour. but here's the thing - neither player has ever stepped up and made an impact at test level. They have a history of being average test players. Perhaps things have changed since their last stints, perhaps not.

If Cheika is selecting those guys for their experience, over an inexperienced player that has had a better season then I'm fine with that...But then why the fuck did Cheika choose Mr T over JOC (James O'Connor)?!?! If you apply the same logic you'd choose JOC (James O'Connor) over Mr T. Only there's one big difference - JOC (James O'Connor) ACTUALLY HAS PROVEN HIMSELF TO STAND OUT AT TEST LEVEL! If that wasn't enough you could further point out that compared to Mr T, Jones is much more experienced.

So that's my only real beef. Opting for a raw inexperienced talent (Mr T) over a proven test player (JOC (James O'Connor)), yet passing on a standout second year test player (Jones) for a bunch of proven test flops (Dennis/Mumm).

But whatever. Go the Wobs!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I will add that I'm happy to see Beale listed as a Fullback, and not a 10/12. That's his best position.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm coming into this late, so sorry if I'm repeating earlier comments but there are a few selections I disagree with.

I hate to play the favouritism card but its probably no coincidence that the most contentious selections in my mind are all waratahs - Mr T, Dennis and Mumm. Not that I don't think all are decent players which are each in their own way worthy of selection, they are. It's more that I can't work out why they were chosen ahead of other players.

Jones has undoubtedly had a better season than Dennis, and Mumm really didn't feature at all. I will say that I'm a big believer in avoiding rookie players in a world cup year, and experience definitely works in both players' favour. but here's the thing - neither player has ever stepped up and made an impact at test level. They have a history of being average test players. Perhaps things have changed since their last stints, perhaps not.

If Cheika is selecting those guys for their experience, over an inexperienced player that has had a better season then I'm fine with that.But then why the fuck did Cheika choose Mr T over JOC (James O'Connor)?!?! If you apply the same logic you'd choose JOC (James O'Connor) over Mr T. Only there's one big difference - JOC (James O'Connor) ACTUALLY HAS PROVEN HIMSELF TO STAND OUT AT TEST LEVEL! If that wasn't enough you could further and point out that compared to Mr T, Jones is much more experienced.

So that's my only real beef. Opting for a raw inexperienced talent (Mr T) over a proven test player (JOC (James O'Connor)), yet passing on a standout second year test player (Jones) for a bunch of proven test flops (Dennis/Mumm).

But whatever. Go the Wobs!

I think that Jones can feel extremely hard done by to not be picked over Mumm, Dennis, Simmons, Arnold and especially Horwill! He would be my starting lock with Skelton. JOC (James O'Connor) has not played well this year, but form is only temporary, and he is a world class 12, 14 and 15. I feel like footballing abilities mightn't be what's keeping JOC (James O'Connor) out of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.