• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My thoughts on the possible permutations:

5th prop is between Smith and Faulkner. No idea what Cheika will do. It probably depends whether he thinks that if he was missing a THP, could he move Slipper to THP and play White or does he have to select Faulkner who is 3rd choice LHP and THP.

Only one of Tomane and Speight will be selected. You'd have to guess it will be Speight unless he plays poorly against the All Blacks.

One or two players will be selected out of Kane Douglas, Sean McMahon and Wycliff Palu. You'd have to think Palu is very likely unless he gets injured or has a shocker, McMahon unlikely as he hasn't featured and Douglas probably only an inclusion if he has an excellent cameo off the bench and Cheika decides he wants 18 forwards.

If we only take 13 backs I can't see there being three halfbacks included. I think Genia will miss out on the back of his one fairly average performance and then an injury.

I think it is highly unlikely but if Cooper has an absolute shocker and To'omua ends up playing a fair bit of 10 and looks like our best option there, Cooper could miss out and Leali'ifano be brought in as an extra 12. Again, I think this is a highly unlikely scenario and I think Foley and Cooper will remain our two choices at 10 for the RWC.

T

Train Without a Station

Yep. 3 played have to go. I think Tomane is one. I also doubt Douglas will go. If Simmons was fit I doubt he would be playing tomorrow which is why I don't think he'll go. Higginbotham won't go either.

That's the 32 used cut down to 29 to allow for a prop and hooker.

All of those 29 are on the plane and can only get themselves dropped from here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree.

There could also be some concern over Rob Horne. I'm guessing he'll be fine and will be named in the squad though.

I reckon Douglas, McMahon, 6th prop, Dennis, Higginbotham, Genia, Leali'ifano, Tomane, and Kerevi will go to the USA as it has been suggested they will take 40 players there..

The Honey Badger could also go instead of Dennis or Higginbotham as they had already sent him over there to do promotional stuff and I think there'll be some interest in picking him to play purely on the basis of him being interviewed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Tomane and Higgers are the obvious cuts.

I think the last one will come down to Genia or Douglas depending on whether you want the extra forward or halfback. Probably depends how the Giteau backup 9 situation goes tomorrow.

Yeah Cummins will definitely go the USA at least for promo stuff.

T

Train Without a Station

Don't see them taking Douglas unless he has a blinder. 4 locks in Simmo, Mumm, Horwill and Skelton plus Fardy as back up option.

I agree BH about Horne. Tomane could sneak ahead depending on injury status of Horne I guess.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't see them carrying an injured Horne in. He's not that good or that cemented that he justifies being taken unless he is fit and available for the first game. In a limited squad that would be a poor selection if they took him. Especially as you may need to use a player against the USA that you will want to rest first pool game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see them carrying an injured Horne in. He's not that good or that cemented that he justifies being taken unless he is fit and available for the first game. In a limited squad that would be a poor selection if they took him. Especially as you may need to use a player against the USA that you will want to rest first pool game.

I agree in general.

There is a difference between being healthy by the time the squad is named next Friday and being ready to play the USA on September 5 and then playing our first RWC game on 23 September.

Simmons wouldn't be fit if we had a game next Friday but he will certainly be named. I expect the same will happen with Horne. I think he will be part of Cheika's thinking to the extent that he still has a couple more weeks to fully recover.

I do think that if Horne or Simmons or any of the squad are still carrying injuries heading into the first RWC match they'll be considered to be more chronic issues and Cheika won't carry them in his squad.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah Tomane and Higgers are the obvious cuts.

I think the last one will come down to Genia or Douglas depending on whether you want the extra forward or halfback. Probably depends how the Giteau backup 9 situation goes tomorrow.

Yeah Cummins will definitely go the USA at least for promo stuff.

I think this would be the current thinking.

And the side selected for the Bledisloe suggests he's comfortable with Gits as a back up 9 if necessary, so Douglas looks to have the inside running.

Still a game to go to change their minds. And more importantly, win back our trophy that's gone missing for over a decade!

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I think it is highly unlikely but if Cooper has an absolute shocker and To'omua ends up playing a fair bit of 10 and looks like our best option there, Cooper could miss out and Leali'ifano be brought in as an extra 12. Again, I think this is a highly unlikely scenario and I think Foley and Cooper will remain our two choices at 10 for the RWC.

Saw this on Fox Sports

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/wallaby-31-players-for-2015-rwc.13663/page-308

Basically it reads as though Cooper and Foley have already been told they are in the squad, regardless of how Cooper plays this week and Foleys form in the past cpl of matches.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Saw this on Fox Sports

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/wallaby-31-players-for-2015-rwc.13663/page-308

Basically it reads as though Cooper and Foley have already been told they are in the squad, regardless of how Cooper plays this week and Foleys form in the past cpl of matches.

I just read that too.

I think that's great from Cheika. Taking a bit of pressure off Quade is definitely a good thing as is having some certainty (presumably) over much of his squad and being forthright with that.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It would seem from some press reports Douglas has been roped in as cover to Simmons. If that's the case I can understand his selection, 'spose we'll see tomorrow if his fitness is up to the task.

T

TOCC

So barring injuries, the following players will be the first picked: Pocock, Kepu, Sio, Folau, Simmons and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

The following have shown enough to be picked: Moore, Hooper, Foley, Kuridrani, To'omua, White, Mitchell, Giteau, Slipper and Fardy.

These guys will be there because there is no one else who is better: Horwill, Mumm, McCalman, Phipps, Beale, Holmes, Skelton, TPN, Hanson.

Anyone else who is picked should count themselves lucky.

Phipps/Foley are our best halves pairings, I don't think it will win a World Cup but neither will the other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone else who is picked should count themselves lucky.

Phipps/Foley are our best halves pairings, I don't think it will win a World Cup but neither will the other options.
Quade will be lucky. But not too lucky because the alternatives are mediocre.

His yellow card was downer, man, but I'd still say he was better than Bernard's last start.

Even To'omua, who has had good form, battled tonight.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So no more games before the RWC and a squad to select. I actually think it mostly picks itself, based on what we've seen in the last four tests (and in the couple of years previous), so here is mine:

Props: Slipper, Kepu, Sio, Holmes, Smith
Hookers: Moore, TPN, Hanson
Locks: Skelton, Simmons, Horwill, Mumm
Flankers: Hooper, Pocock, Fardy
Eights: McCalman, Palu
Halfbacks: Phipps, White
Five Eighths: Cooper, Foley
Centres: To'omua, Giteau, Kuridrani, Lilo
Wings: Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell, Horne, Tomane
Full Backs: Folau, Beale

The pack is fairly straight forward. I've only included Palu to play in the games against the lesser nations and maybe against Fiji, on the basis that we can't have the same 23 for every game. I wouldn't be playing him against England or any of the other top five nations though. He looks well past his best now.

Simmons, assuming he recovers OK, must be one of the first picked based on how badly our line out has gone without him. Horwill to partner him for 50-60 minutes and Skelton to come on late in the game to shift rocks and belt blokes.

We play dual opensides in nearly every game I think. We've looked at our best around the park when they've been out there together and clearly the experiment has worked. Fardy also plays all the big games. His work in tight and in the lineout is absolutely invaluable. McCalman off the bench as insurance.

The halves really worry me, but I think Phipps and Cooper is possibly the right way to go. I don't say that with any confidence though. Failing that maybe a Phipps/To'omua/Giteau combo works.

In the centres, To'omua and TK would be my favoured combination, with Gits to cover off the bench (and halfback). We should also take Lilo as insurance.

Back three should be Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau, with Horne and Beale on the bench to cover most of the positions in the back three and the mid field.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think Lealifano is very unlikely. I suspect the fact that Chieka has not chosen to play him at all means he will not make the squad. I would add that one of the reasons people are calling for him is because the other contenders have been patchy - but that does not mean he would be a better option.

I think, based on what we have seen (of Chieka's prefered players), that the last spot is between Genia and Douglas. Take three 9s? Genia. Two 9s? Douglas.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure it is Douglas and Genia. I think Mitchell will go and perhaps only one of Horne, Speight and Tomane. That will leave a winger outside the 23 potentially since none will be on the bench probably.

From there it's higgers or Palu out, prop and Hanson in and that's your 31.

I think it may actual come down to Douglas vs a 4th winger.

There may be 1 surprise though. Maybe somebody like Dennis just due to a few forward spots still not being taken by players.

Status
Not open for further replies.