• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think you play either Mumm and Palu or Skelton and McCalman rather than Skelton and Mumm, just so you have an experienced 8thman at the back of the scrum.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the biggest unknown is which team To'omua and Giteau are in. Up to this point I would have thought Giteau is the starter in the A team and To'omua is the bench option.

I'd like to see Horne and Speight swap for the Uruguay game. I tend to think that will achieve a better result.

I also think Toby Smith must start the Uruguay game to give one of the A reserve props a bit more of a rest.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Tomane is possibly the best attacking winger out of the lot of them, but defensively the weakest.....

Joe made some good line breaks against the Yanks and looks more like a potential 13 that Henry imo. As you say, probably the best attacking back atm.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If we're running with two separate teams I'd like to hope for:

A

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

B

1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Holmes
4. Skelton
5. Mumm
6. McCalman
7. McMahon
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Horne
12. Gits
13. Speight
14. Tomane
15. Beale

I think you could be on the money there. Possible switching of Horne / Mitchell and Douglas / Skelton.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Horne will go back to 13 and Speight 11 with the USA performance. Also To'omua and Giteau. I don't agree with it but that's what Cheika will go with. Skelton is definitely ahead of Douglas too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So the next question is who from team B fills the bench for the A team?

Front row speaks for itself. 5/3 for Fiji I think. 6/2 for England.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Mumm
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. Genia
22. To'omua
23. Beale

Slipper more of a workhorse than Sio, I'd keep him fresh until Pooper is split to help make up for the workload lost. Skelton better as a finisher, too big to gain momentum against a fresh side. Don't like Simmons, but with Pooper starting we need all the lineout wins we can get. Maybe Douglas. Phipps/Foley/Giteau a proven success. Mitchell has a great left foot, attack is great too. McCalman can sub on for 6 or 8. If Hooper has to come off, Pocock moves to 7 and McCalman covers 8.

Genia takes a large step back before distributing the ball, makes it hard to gain metres with a fresh opposition. Phipps to start, Genia to finish. To'omua and Beale to cover the backline.

All up, lineout options in both locks and Fardy. Scrum nice and strong. Turnovers expected with Pooper. Strong attacking backline. Reserves that finish. Atleast my 2 cents anyway.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
People keep saying what have we got against Cooper...Nothing...simply has not performed to date.

On same argument could asked what people have against Giteau as in games to date he has performed and showed he deserves to start.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
They are our starting inside backs, no doubt, but I hope we don't have too many 50min stints in the world cup from our 9, 10, 12 like that one in Sydney

We should remember that Phipps problems in that game were the result of All Blacks hands on his ball at the breakdown. It won't happen again.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Think that is a very interesting comment out of a good post.

Curiuous as to why do you think that combination is a proven success?

It's the only solid combination we have. Cheika has been reinforcing it constantly since the Wallabies season began because he probably realises that. I will admit, Foley and Phipps played terrible during the Rugby Championships and were easily the worst players in a good side during the first Bledisloe, but they have both improved immensely since then. It is a proven success to me anyway. If you doubt that combination then what would you opt for?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Groucho, I hesitate to like your post because it'd mean I include you in my group of rugby aficionadoes. And Groucho wouldn't have that, would he? .....club that'd have me as a member/wouldn't belong....., etc. ;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Phipps had a bit of a shocker against the ABs and it was because the dirty darkness had their hands all over the ball. He then had a shocker against USA and it was because he didn't get any protection from his underperforming forward pack. When is he going to be held responsible for his own poor form?

Against USA, Genia definitely had a better game and more influence than Phipps, but that was because he came off the bench when all the Yanks had run out of petrol.

And the Yank No 12 really had the better of Matt Giteau.

I would personally go with Genia, Foley and To'omua but I fully expect the starting team to have Phipps, Foley and Giteau against the better sides. I sincerely hope they can all get their games together a bit better than they've been playing lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.