• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Que?

In what way?

How exactly is it a positive?

I think all our previous captains have been just that.
A measured approach to life, some conformity, an attitude that most rugby supporters (and dare I say it that most rugby supporters are largely conservative by nature AND i'm not talking about fucking politics) can relate to.

I may have not answered it properly but just MY thoughts

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't worry about who the fucking captain is,let's worry about the coach.

He admits that he does not have the support of the whole squad

"He said he did not care if all members of his squad were united behind him."

Then he basically acknowledges squad members are leaking to the press ..
"People can ask questions [to me], they don't need to ask questions through the media. They can just ask me questions if they need clarity," he said.

Here's a tip Link,either quit or sack whoever you think is not on the same page.
You might not be able to win without them,but you are no chance of winning with them.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-questions-on-team-unity-20141014-1161i0.html

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuel, meet fire...................

News have their own "senior sources" to counter those from Fairfax:

NO change is likely to be made but Michael Hooper’s hold on the Wallabies captaincy is set to come under review as the fallout of the Kurtley Beale affair tips Australian rugby into a nuclear winter.

A senior ARU source told The Australian yesterday he thought there “definitely would be some discussion” over whether Hooper, 22, should be retained as captain for the spring tour starting in a week as doubts grow over whether he has the maturity to do the job.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver has denied criticising Hooper at an ARU staff meeting in Sydney on Tuesday over his public support of Beale, but it is understood there is considerable angst within the organisation over what message Hooper and vice-captain Adam Ashley-Cooper sent to the Australian rugby community by vehemently supporting a teammate facing serious workplace bullying charges.

It may be pure coincidence, but since Hooper and Ashley-Cooper separately made their pro-Beale statements at the start of the week, no Waratahs players have been assigned any media duties with Brumbies Christian Leali’ifano, Scott Fardy and Joe Tomane and Reds Quade Cooper and James Slipper all subsequently being made available for interview.

Paywall........ http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...o-nuclear-winter/story-e6frg7o6-1227093135268

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, I'm starting to smell a bit of smoke, whether it turns into a fire and burns Hooper or merely singes the bloke will soon be revealed.

Jeez, a lot is riding on this game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez there needs to be a reality check.

Fuck off anyone who has given "support" for a teammate. Great - Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau - no-one condoned it

Lets play rugby

T

Train Without a Station

Can I say I don't think any player who has been a Wallaby for the bulk of their career and looks to play overseas is long term captaincy material.

Rules out players like Elsom, potentially Genia, etc. who have more selfish motives.

Have no problem with Mowen, I doubt he ever had a decent contract until he was about 28. it's a very different story for him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I got the impression that his role was made redundant,with the newly appointed business mgr to include those duties in her new position?

T

Train Without a Station

I think it's drawing along bow to say a Team Manager would have resolved this.

The argument on the plane happened due to Doyle, somewhat of a partial team manager asking the players to change.

The fall out occurred due to Kurtley's actions in camp, which the victim chose not to escalate in order to save Kurtley at the time.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
@Thinker, just a few comments.

I agree you can't have a great team without a great captain. At the same time, do you honestly think John Eales would have been an effective captain against Argentina with the individuals he had around him? Eales also had good leaders like Horan, Gregan, Kearns around him for much of his time. Hooper for instance lacked anything resembling this.

With regards to Pocock, I strongly disagree people have forgotten how good he is. The longer he is out, the larger his legend grows. I just think some people have realized that a player whose biggest strength is the breakdown, who only pilfers as much ball, or a little more ball as Hooper does has limitations in what he offers all-round. People say he controls and turns the tide on games. I fail to see any indications of these moments with the exception of rare instances (RWC QF is a great example of one, but a rarity, not the norm).

I agree we may have been better served with Horwill as captain and likely wouldn't have lost anything starting him.
Poey has hammered the Welsh, but respectful his behind Hooper by a fair margin atm. He was great but no G Smith and his lucky to get the gig from smith.

He will though be another great player fit and firing a Hooper Poey double act.. Like Smith, Poey put together would be a thing of beauty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I got the impression that his role was made redundant,with the newly appointed business mgr to include those duties in her new position?

I think it's drawing along bow to say a Team Manager would have resolved this.

Who knows, but it seems a pretty integral position in any team sport situation.

Thinking that the role could be filled by others who had different roles or jobs as well seems like a massive mistake.

Did they think Egerton had just been tagging along for the ride for the last three or so years? Were the people before him just there for a good time?

T

Train Without a Station

Poey has hammered the Welsh, but respectful his behind Hooper by a fair margin atm. He was great but no G Smith and his lucky to get the gig from smith.

He will though be another great player fit and firing a Hooper Poey double act.. Like Smith, Poey put together would be a thing of beauty.

Pocock has had great games. But the longer he is out, people remember him as if he played that 2011 RWC QF every game.

T

Train Without a Station

Thinking that the role could be filled by others who had different roles or jobs as well seems like a massive mistake.

Did they think Egerton had just been tagging along for the ride for the last three or so years? Were the people before him just there for a good time?

No, but as noted by Patson allegedly helping them save $700k a year, it sounds like he wasn't being as financially prudent as he could be. That may not have been his brief.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Does the Australian Cricket Team as an example have a Team manager that travels with the players on tour? They certainly don't have a high profile one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does the Australian Cricket Team as an example have a Team manager that travels with the players on tour? They certainly don't have a high profile one.

It's Pat Howard. His title is General Manager - High Performance I believe, but he travels with the team.

I don't think he's particularly good either.

T

Train Without a Station

Let's be real fucking clear. The Team Manager role came about as a "jobs for the boys" type scenario.

No disrespect to Egerton, I'm sure he did good work. But for people to assume that somebody else who hasn't played the game cannot be competent in the role is a load of shit.

T

Train Without a Station

It's Pat Howard. His title is General Manager - High Performance I believe, but he travels with the team.

I don't think he's particularly good either.

He's not appointed as a Team Manager. It's a similar role to Nucifora's.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

The wallabies had their fair share of incidents while he was in the role, weather or not the position is necessary he might not have been the right man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.