• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No word on the assistants yet. Hopefully the Scotland connection might yield us Matt Taylor, and Scott Wisemantl is the other name I'd like to see.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Announcement has been made.

Dave Rennie coach through until the 2023 World Cup

There’s a shock. Decision made 6 months ago. Another dodgy decision by a desperate CEO and an exiting Chairman. No process, came down to who would take the job on the basis of reporting to Scott Johnson, who was also plucked out of obscurity. Everyone appointed for 4 years. FFS

It’s a script from a comedy show.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Larkham, with some senior assistants like Fischer.

Have a close look at Johnson’s coaching history and experience. Nothing there that says he is “compelling”. Lot of wins against Italy, not a lot against anyone else.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Have a close look at Johnson’s coaching history and experience. Nothing there that says he is “compelling”. Lot of wins against Italy, not a lot against anyone else.

How does Larkham's resume stack up against Rennie's?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There’s a shock. Decision made 6 months ago. Another dodgy decision by a desperate CEO and an exiting Chairman. No process, came down to who would take the job on the basis of reporting to Scott Johnson, who was also plucked out of obscurity. Everyone appointed for 4 years. FFS

It’s a script from a comedy show.
Yeah except nah though.

It was, obviously, a decision made quite a while ago. The writing has been on the wall for Cheika for quite literally years and RA have had plenty of time to consider and choose a candidate they actually rate. Rennie was also considered a strong candidate for the All Blacks job and is widely considered to be a very talented coach.

I think this decision stinks of forethought - not something RA are renowned for. A desperate appointment would have been Jake White six months ago.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
How does Larkham's resume stack up against Rennie's?

Unless Wikipedia has been hacked his only highlights are winning the Super Rugby in 2012 and 3 wins with NZ under 20’s. Finals only in Europe without winning. That would make Cheika at time of appointment far more compelling.

You tell me what I am missing?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Larkham has absolutely no credentials to suggest he would be successful.

Great player & may get become a great coach, but I am genuinely astonished you could on one hand question Rennie’s appointment and on the other put Larkham’s name up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can't find a huge fault in the process, given they clearly tried Eddie Jones and Jamie Joseph.

You can make a case for and against all the other candidates, but Rennie seems like he's good enough if we give him the right infrastructure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless Wikipedia has been hacked his only highlights are winning the Super Rugby in 2012 and 3 wins with NZ under 20’s. Finals only in Europe without winning. That would make Cheika at time of appointment far more compelling.

He won two Super Rugby titles with the Chiefs.

Cheika's provincial record was outstanding. Up there with anyone.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah except nah though.

It was, obviously, a decision made quite a while ago. The writing has been on the wall for Cheika for quite literally years and RA have had plenty of time to consider and choose a candidate they actually rate. Rennie was also considered a strong candidate for the All Blacks job and is widely considered to be a very talented coach.

I think this decision stinks of forethought - not something RA are renowned for. A desperate appointment would have been Jake White six months ago.

Sounds a little like the Robbie Deans appointment, then?

Not saying Dave Rennie will do a bad job, but I worry about a process that consists of saying, "Well, this guy's good, let's pencil him in now and we can announce him as soon as the incumbent quits."

Do we know how many candidates were given the opportunity to interview?

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't find a huge fault in the process, given they clearly tried Eddie Jones and Jamie Joseph.

You can make a case for and against all the other candidates, but Rennie seems like he's good enough if we give him the right infrastructure.

I cannot see how they found Johnson and on what basis they handed him the role he has? The rest is purely a result of that.

He has somehow talked his way into a role that his resume suggests is light years from his achievements.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Success in the ITM Cup, Super rugby in 2013 and some context around the improvement in results in both the Chiefs and in Europe.

Does he have the best credentials - maybe not against some guys like Joseph & Cotter. Was the process done correctly - I have no idea. But you are under selling Rennie’s credentials.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Success in the ITM Cup, Super rugby in 2013 and some context around the improvement in results in both the Chiefs and in Europe.

Does he have the best credentials - maybe not against some guys like Joseph & Cotter. Was the process done correctly - I have no idea. But you are under selling Rennie’s credentials.

57E88FFD-ABA3-4959-8164-1F06565A824B.jpeg

Not sure this helps? Again assuming Wikipedia is accurate

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sounds a little like the Robbie Deans appointment, then?

Not saying Dave Rennie will do a bad job, but I worry about a process that consists of saying, "Well, this guy's good, let's pencil him in now and we can announce him as soon as the incumbent quits."

To be fair to Deans, the last 10 or so years have really thrown a different light on his tenure.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Does the interview really matter though? Surely with coaching it's the resume that counts.

They can't exactly appoint a guy like Daryl Gibson but say 'he really wowed us in the interview'.

Though I do seem to recall Raelene saying they had around 30 applicants.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)

Ok so Rennie has coached for a long while and last won anything of note in 2013. Johnson on what I can see has not won anything anywhere ever. He has 16 games as fill in coach for 5 wins, 3 of which were against Italy.

Again, where is the compelling rationale for either?