• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Sio
Moore
Slipper
Horwill (I don't think link will bench him)
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
Higgers
Genia
Cooper
Tomane
To'omua
Kurindrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Kepu
Tpn
Don't know enough about props to call this!
Jones
Palu
White
Beale
Badger

Don't think we will see much controversy and I think mccalman will get into test 3 if it's all wrapped up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hooper is the obvious choice if you want a new captain because he's an automatic selection at least in 2014 (and realistically, it's hard to see that changing unless he gets injured). Pocock is going to find it harder and harder to dislodge him in the future.

More importantly, Hooper plays 80 minutes in just about every match. One problem with making someone like Stephen Moore captain is that in almost every test match you'd expect him to be replaced for most or all of the last 20 minutes when the captaincy could be most crucial.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure how Horwill is an unlikely starter now. Carter and Jones are performing well yes, but they aren't going to usurp him based on 12 weeks of form either. Consistent form from Carter will build pressure and it's highly unlikely Fardy will start at lock. Who is going to play 6 over him?

Horwill and Simmons would still be likely starters. If Simmons form isn't "poor enough" to get him dropped then how has Horwill's superior form seen him likely dropped?

I'd imagine that Douglas, Horwill, Jones and Carter will all be around the squad. Jones potential bench option due to his versatility and Carter will surely play at some point.

Out of curiosity, how has Douglas' form been? He's been an erratic performer at international level and unless he's been playing like Carter or Jones, can't see him starting.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm working on Fardy and Simmons being the likely starters, with Mowen and Higgers in the back row. If Mowen is deemed ineligible to play then I agree Fardy at 6 is a serious consideration and Horwill may well start.

The reason Simmons is preferred over Horwill is because my sense at the end of last year was Simmons was becoming the premier lock in the country and Horwill was falling. This year, neither of them have stood up so my view is Horwill has all but fallen and Simmons is just clinging on. The issue is lack of serious alternatives. Fardy is one. But playing him at lock is predicated on Mowen being in the side, because he doesn't add much to the lineout. And a few potential up and comers to be groomed.

something

Jim Clark (26)
how has hooper been dealing with captaincy at the tahs? he is so young but he has a really good head on him i would not be at all adverse to hooper as the captain. also, he could hold the captaincy for a very long time and this could build consistency & hopefully we will have another golden era yip yew!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
how has hooper been dealing with captaincy at the tahs? he is so young but he has a really good head on him i would not be at all adverse to hooper as the captain. also, he could hold the captaincy for a very long time and this could build consistency & hopefully we will have another golden era yip yew!

He only captained the Tahs in one full game and was fine. The Tahs also won convincingly.

He's definitely a leader on the field even when he's not the captain. Personally I think he would do a good job if he was made Wallabies captain.

Personally, I think Horwill will be captain at least for the June series.

T

Train Without a Station

Fardy owned the 6 jersey last year. Can't see him being moved to simply accommodate Mowen. Can't say Mowen's form has been spectacular, so playing him when he will depart mid season seems unlikely.

If he play's it will only be at 8. That will depend what Link wants out of the 8 too. Higgers, Palu, McCalman and Mowen all offer different things at 8.

Horwill and Douglas are probably our strongest scrummaging locks. Horwill's form improved over the EOYT (Funny that, when he was fit for a period and strung games together). His form hasn't been bad this year, though Carter and Jones have clearly been better.

Whilst size isn't the most important factor, look at the potential options. One of these players has to push behind a likely under pressure tighthead side:

Sam Carter - 110kg
Luke Jones - 110kg
Scott Fardy - 109kg
James Horwill - 117kg
Rob Simmons - 115kg
Kane Douglas - 118kg

Simmons plays loosehead lock and plays like a loosehead lock, which really leaves 2 options the right size to adequately play the role of tighthead lock. Horwill and Douglas.

T

Train Without a Station

Slim/Tomokin/BR/Brumbies fans,

What are your thoughts on the lock situation. You would be far more qualified to comment on Fardy and Carter. Do you consider either capable of playing TH Lock adequately at test level?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am not in the best of moods about quite a few of the incumbents, I have decided to pick forwards who will work, and backs who can tackle, kick, and catch and pass

Sio
Moore
Slipper
Luke Jones
Scott Fardy
Higgers
Hooper
Palu
White
To'omua
Tomane
Lilo
Kurindrani
Badger
Folau

Toby Smith
Nathan Charles
Kepu
Rob Simmons
Mowen

Genia
Pat McCabe
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

T

Train Without a Station

Not to discount a player who could potentially fill a role with a limited pool, but let's talk about him when he's consistently a first choice starter at the Force though Gaffa. Currently he's 3rd behind Wykes and Steenkamp when fit isn't he?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
While I agree Hooper has the 7 jersey ATM. I can't see him holding onto it when Poey is back. Granted it all depends on if he regains his form, before injury he was touted as being equal to if not better than RM.

That doesn't happen by accident.

If we're looking at the French tests and this years RC, then yes by all means Hooper. But if we're looking long term I wouldn't be placing any bets on Hooper retaining that jersey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Slim/Tomokin/BR/Brumbies fans,

What are your thoughts on the lock situation. You would be far more qualified to comment on Fardy and Carter. Do you consider either capable of playing TH Lock adequately at test level?
Carter seems to be much more than adequate at TH lock. Really, the only times the brumbies' pack has been in trouble has been when Sam was off the field. Scott, otoh, seems to play a similar style of game whether at 6 or lock. He is better at being a pest at the breakdown and bending the line when carrying the ball. Wouldn't want him to play at TH lock.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Locks look to be the most uncertain spots in the Wallabies ATM. I think a lot of the Reds' poor form is attributable to their comparatively weaker scrum, and that reflects a problem in the second row IMO. I would not like to see both Simmons and Horwill retained as I think that would just import some of those problems to the Wallabies. For continuity sake, I can see one staying in while the other is replaced. Horwill would be my preference to be retained as he seems to be in better all round form than Simmons and there is better choice available at LHASA lock than TH. Fardy, Jones and Skelton would all offer more than Simmons IMO.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Mate - big comment about Hooper having"a really good head on him" but I agree he is a very good footballer who has the necessary intellectual and physical capacities to be a Wallaby captain

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
On form:
Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmo
Fardy
Higgers
Hooper
Palu
White
To'omua
??????
Lilo
Kurindrani
The Badger
Folau

TPN
Kepu
Sio
Genia
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
??????

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I also think locks are in contention. Horwill play game one against France but given the uncertainty around if he is the best option in the second row it's hard to see him being captain.
I think it will be and should be hooper.
Also think there is going to be a fight for the bench props. Good point that Toby smith has looked very good at times.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
1/ Slipper
2/ Moore
3/ Alexander
4/ Simmons
5/ Horwill
6/ Fardy
7/ Hooper
8/ Higgers/Palu
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Cummins
12/ To'omua
13/ Kuindrani
14/ Tomane
15/ Falou

That will be what the side for the first French test will look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.