• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Let the speculation begin.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Mogg
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Horwill
20. McCalman
21. Burgess
22. To'omua
23. McCabe

A lot of the big names having good starts to the year. Took a while for some of them to get into last season. Wing and lock look to be the weaknesses and really up for grabs.

Really hope more Reds put there hands up and make my next side.

I thought To'omua showed Beale up pretty badly last night
having seen more of McCalman lately than I can ever remember he has to be in the frame - his work off the back of the Force scrum (which ranged from good to bad to indifferent) was very good - even on the bad ones.
I think Ben Robinson's goneski.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeah, I dont think tonights game did anything for the chances of Phipps, Foley or Beale (at 12)..q

Quade will start at 10, and To'omua offers a point of difference off the bench with the way he defends, and may end up at 12.

Patty McCabe is putting his name back in contention at 12 and it will be interesting to see what happens at the Brumbies when Leo is back.

Wingers are interesting and it might be the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins end up there with Speight injured and Kurindrani at 13..

Pat McCabe outplayed Beale last night and he is only the third best Brumby at 12!

Reactions: Tip

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Edited: Peer pressure and yes, To'omua is a better 12. In my defence I was really trying not to put players out of position and nearly named McCabe there initially.

Genia also showing some improvement and worthy of at least a bench spot.

Sio vs Robinson is an interesting one. Fat Cat has been written off several times and could well be his time is up. On the first two weeks games though he deserves a spot. Come the French tests I think one of Slipper/Sio/Robinson will be unlucky to miss out.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
On form so far this year, Robbo and Simmons wouldn't be there, and after last night's game Beale won't be at 12 either.

I would keep Douglas at lock even if he's not as good as some others at the lineout. That can be covered by having good jumpers otherwise, Fardy, Carter, Jones, McCalman (never thought I'd say that but he was immense against the Clan and has been very good this year in other games), Pyle also but his form this year has been way down - is that his problem or a problem with the way McGahan wants him to play?

Pat McCabe is a revelation this year (similar to Ben McCalman) but I'd also have To'omua start at 12 in a test.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting that on form Simmons wouldn't be there. He's been quite good, though his accuracy at the ruck needs to improve. He has been quite good in defence.

Reactions: Tip

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Who are the Australian breakdown warriors so far in 2014.
Total Pilfers/forced penalties.
Hooper 5
Hodgeson 3
Fardy 3
Mowen 2
Hoiles 2
Pocock 1
Schatz 1
Quirk 1
Alcock 1
Gill 1
McCalman 1

Very impressive from Hooper considering the Tahs have played 1 less game and he has also conceded the least penalties.
Also very good from Fardy, Hodgeson and Hoiles who has the least game time of the top rated players.

blake23

Frank Row (1)
This would be my Team. Looking for combinations in the forwards and backs. Strong defence in the back line with still plenty of flair. edited - to have a current form side

World cup team:
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Robinson
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Higentbothom
7. Pocock
8. Mcalman (I would love a better number 8, we just don't have 1 at the moment)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Tomua
13. kuridrani
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Palmer
17. Slipper
18. Polota-Nau
19. Fardy
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Beale
23. Ashley-cooper

current form team
1. Sio
2. More
3. Slipper
4. Fardy
5. Simmons
6. Mcmahn
7. Hooper
8. Mcalman
9. Burgess (but still very weak passing game)
10. Tomua
11. Speight
12. Goodwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Cummins
15. folau

16. Alexander
17. Robinson
18. Hanson
19. Horwill
20. Hodgson
21. White
22. Mcabe
23. Mogg

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
In my opinion Fardy, Hooper, Palu are the inform back rowers at present. If Palu stays uninjured you'd like to think he'd be picked just for nostalgic reasons. Moore has been playing brilliantly. Love To'omua at 12 for his defence alone. I like Burgess at No.9.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This would be my Team. Looking for combinations in the forwards and backs. Strong defence in the back line with still plenty of flair. Ashley-cooper would do a lot of tackling for Quade. O'connor finds a spot on the wing for the world cup and lealiifano would be a strong contender when he returns from injury .

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Higentbothom
7. Pocock
8. Mcalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Tomua
13. kuridrani
14. Ashley-copper
15. Folau

16. Robinson
17. Slipper
18. Polota-Nau
19. Fardy
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Beale
23. Mcabe
Isn't poey out for the season? Hoops is also on fire at the moment

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Struggling with Alexander starting. Whatever super form he has I don't think has ever really been carried up to the international level. I think he tends to become a penalty magnet. Anyhow could be wrong but he wouldn't make my 23.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think there are still a lot of scrums to be played before a clear decision on props should be made. I like Mowen in the line outs but I think there are better attacking and defensive 8's then he. Second row still needs watching on form.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Beale will take time. Bloke looks to have a load on his shoulders which is understandable. 12 for mine is a toss up between To'omua and Godwin. Godwin is ready to be introduced to the test arena. Best done from the bench.

Fardy looks massive at 6 again. He won't play lock though and unseat Simmons. Simmons is running a pretty good lineout at the Reds and it is a key skill the Wallabies need. Fardy's versatility may work against him if Link opts to squeeze both Higgers and Palu into the 15 forcing Fardy onto the bench. Higgers could be a potential smokey for captain. Kev is also in that race and I think him and Simmons will be the locks. Kepu isn't seeing enough game time and Benny A is doing the right things at 3. More game time to Kepu will change this. Lock Slipper in at 1 because it is no coincidence the Reds continue to play him on that side. Sio looking good as well ATM and Robbo will miss out. 13 is anybodies guess. Hope to see Inman hit his stride personally. Kuindrani the favourate ATM Moore is ahead for Hooker by a mile. Genia will be 9 and I would tip Burgess to pass white and Phipps for the bench. Lock Cooper in at 10 and Izzy in at 15. Turner could be a smokey for a wing spot at the moment. Wings spots very open at this stage and maybe Mogg could slip into one if he keeps the form up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think Hooper has a much better running game with ball in hand then Pocock. But Hooper has still some work to do on his counter rucking/pilfering then Pocock. It would have been a tough call.

Heading the table in the Australian conference, comparing the 2 is as tough as Poey's injuries over the last 2 and a bit years - feel for the guy.

Palu is playing great rugby at the moment - on Saturday night he even dominated in the loosing team. He also came second in last years John Eales medal with only about 1/2 a season played.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Beale will take time. Bloke looks to have a load on his shoulders which is understandable. 12 for mine is a toss up between To'omua and Godwin. Godwin is ready to be introduced to the test arena. Best done from the bench.

Fardy looks massive at 6 again. He won't play lock though and unseat Simmons. Simmons is running a pretty good lineout at the Reds and it is a key skill the Wallabies need. Fardy's versatility may work against him if Link opts to squeeze both Higgers and Palu into the 15 forcing Fardy onto the bench. Higgers could be a potential smokey for captain. Kev is also in that race and I think him and Simmons will be the locks. Kepu isn't seeing enough game time and Benny A is doing the right things at 3. More game time to Kepu will change this. Lock Slipper in at 1 because it is no coincidence the Reds continue to play him on that side. Sio looking good as well ATM and Robbo will miss out. 13 is anybodies guess. Hope to see Inman hit his stride personally. Kuindrani the favourate ATM Moore is ahead for Hooker by a mile. Genia will be 9 and I would tip Burgess to pass white and Phipps for the bench. Lock Cooper in at 10 and Izzy in at 15. Turner could be a smokey for a wing spot at the moment. Wings spots very open at this stage and maybe Mogg could slip into one if he keeps the form up.

Some good commentary, my take on form to date for the
back row - Fardy, Hooper, and Palu, Higgers can cover 6 or 8 from the bench.
centres - To'omua, Kurindrani,
outside backs - Izzy, and the wingers
Benchs split, having Beale & ACC because they can be dangerous in the last 20. plus these 2 because of their added versatility, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been one of the form players over recent years - maybe he should start?

T

Train Without a Station

Charlie Brown that's a pretty ill informed and lazy comment (I mean based on perceived opinion rather than fact). Hooper has more pilfers/forced penalties than any player in Aus. He has also played one less game than most.

He is also quite good at leading counter rucks, which is why he doesn't always get the stats for pilfers to his name, further perpetuating the rumour that he doesn't have an impact on the breakdown.

Needs to be more of a pest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.