• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree there have been, but you don't see any potential conflict between the role of pushing/breaking rules at the breakdown and being the captain of the side?

I don't mean to say its impossible, but I think it puts the loosies (mostly the 7) on the back foot compared to other positions.

In practice, I think it works in the opposite way. A good captain who builds rapport with referees over time seems to get away with much more.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
In practice, I think it works in the opposite way. A good captain who builds rapport with referees over time seems to get away with much more.

True, like the example of Sir Richard...

I hadn't considered that - I'd only seen it go the other way. e.g. The ref stops listening because the dickhead off his feet is also the capt.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I don't think a loose forward makes a good Captain - their job is to push the limits of the rules.
yeah Richie was crap...at both ...Pienaar, Warburton,Phil Waugh, Dave Gallaher,Wakefield,Prat,Fergus Slattery,Ian Kirkpatrick...I better stop.........thats just flankers :D

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Hooper deserves to start for the Wallabies, but Hodgson is currently the form openside in Australia. Hodgson would be a good option for the bench as he has oodles of experience to bring to the squad. Gill isnt challenging for a start spot or even bench spot right now.

At captain, Mowen should not be it, he will be luicky to make the squad. Moore or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are options, although neither have captained at super level. As to the other nailed on starters, Genia doesnt thrive as captain, Robinson is an option, Cooper would be great if only to piss off the kiwis, Folau is way too raw, Hooper might be an option.

I have no idea tbh.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think hooper is doing his job superbly and doing all he can for his team, the fact is the waratahs are winning and more players are doing their jobs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It will be Horwill, if you want a roughy maybe Fardy.. Seems like a cool head when out on the field..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, Horwill it will be given Mowen's off overseas. That's a bit of a concern because he shouldn't be the default choice. That's not because I don't think he can do the job, more the fact that none of the other captains in the OZ conference are automatic selections for the test team. I'm firmly of the belief that the captain of an international side should have experience at provincial level. So who in our prospective starting Wallaby XV would have this experience?

Horwill
Genia
Robinson
ummmmmmm

Not many candidates really.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hooper deserves to start for the Wallabies, but Hodgson is currently the form openside in Australia. Hodgson would be a good option for the bench as he has oodles of experience to bring to the squad. Gill isnt challenging for a start spot or even bench spot right now.

At captain, Mowen should not be it, he will be luicky to make the squad. Moore or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are options, although neither have captained at super level. As to the other nailed on starters, Genia doesnt thrive as captain, Robinson is an option, Cooper would be great if only to piss off the kiwis, Folau is way too raw, Hooper might be an option.

I have no idea tbh.

Maybe a 1000 to 1 shot, but I'd have Matt To'omua, despite not being captain of the Brumbies. Cool head, great tactician and has an all round vision of the game from his position.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe a 1000 to 1 shot, but I'd have Matt To'omua, despite not being captain of the Brumbies. Cool head, great tactician and has an all round vision of the game from his position.

Yeah To'omua, would be good...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, Horwill it will be given Mowen's off overseas. That's a bit of a concern because he shouldn't be the default choice. That's not because I don't think he can do the job, more the fact that none of the other captains in the OZ conference are automatic selections for the test team. I'm firmly of the belief that the captain of an international side should have experience at provincial level. So who in our prospective starting Wallaby XV would have this experience?

Horwill
Genia
Robinson
ummmmmmm

Not many candidates really.

Moore and Hooper have both captained their respective Super Rugby teams on at least one occasion.........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Moore and Hooper have both captained their respective Super Rugby teams on at least one occasion...

True that and Moore wouldn't be a bad choice, though I'd like for him to be skipper of the Brumbies and step up ideally. Captain's actually a bit of problem, but one of the few we have at the minute. One of the good things about where we're at right now is the depth (and competition) that's building in nearly every position. A good problem to have.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Give the captaincy to Big Benny Alexander. Maybe the NH refs will go easier on him, and be hesistant to yellow card him for scrummaging infringements, a la the Richie McCaw effect.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Give the captaincy to Big Benny Alexander. Maybe the NH refs will go easier on him, and be hesistant to yellow card him for scrummaging infringements, a la the Richie McCaw effect.

Yeah but if your standing around waving your hands around like a your trying to fly with a dumb look on your face, probably wont keep the McCaw effect long.

I dont think Moore is a good choice for it mostly because he just seems to get a bit cranky.. Great Player and first choice hooker, and probably a champion bloke.

It's a tough call. So I think Horwill will get the Gig.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I would also rate Hodgson's form as better than Gill's right now.

I highly doubt that McKenzie would drop Gill from his squad to bring in a 33 year old Hodgson.

The Wallabies are a team in their own right and aren't solely a reflection of the most in form players at Super Rugby level. I find it hard to imagine that McKenzie would ditch a young player who has been around the squad for the last two years to select a veteran with marginally better form who played a handful of tests in 2010 and 2011.

Form is certainly important but it isn't the be all and end all. Current form would be far more critical if we played a couple of tests a year. As we play up to 15 a year, I think continuity plays a very big part.

Agreed, and thats an excellent point about the Team. Its also about building to next year (as much as I hate 'Tests' to be any type of building). However including Hodgo in the squad for his sheer grit and professionalism would be valuable.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It's a long season between Super Rugby and Tests and injuries happen. I think Hodgo will get another crack at some point in the next year if he keeps it up.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well Gill has been ruled out for 6 weeks with his hamstring injury so that would put Hodgo as clear second for the 7 come the June tests.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
was going to suggest the same but Lack of experience will block him....worth a go though v Frogs as a trial

Status
Not open for further replies.