• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Am I taking crazy pills? Are people seriously arguing that we should drop Michael Hooper?

I love Matt Hodgson as much as the next guy, but fuck me Hooper is our reigning JE Medallist, and the only forward (other than Moore) to be reliably good on the biggest stages of international footy.

Not to mention he is in red hot form this year, for a team travelling well that arguably doesn't require his services as much as the Force need Hodgo.

I love the WA guys, but arguing Hodgo over Hooper is lunacy.

But Baa Baa, Hodgson is in great form right now!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The fact that Hodgson lead the comp in tackles, pilfers and try's (by a forward) surely shows it is anything but case closed.

Well, it shows that the Force are defending a lot, getting the opportunity to turn over ball a lot as a result, and scoring a lot of tries from short range.

Hodgson is a good player, but he's a leader in a decent side that is pulling together tight and playing some good rugby. Hooper is a standout for the Tahs - in a team featuring guys like Folau, Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Skelton, Douglas, TPN - and was a standout for the Wallabies last year.

I'm happy for Hodgo to get a go, but never EVER use stats to make your point. Or I shall start calling you Scott Allen.

And you don't want that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whatever, goal kicking decides Tests - e.g., see BIL 1 and 2 last year.

It can, but not always. I think you'll find that defence is more important over the course of events. How many Tests are decided on the last kick of the game? Sure there are memorable ones, but preventing the opposition from scoring tries - particularly in the Southern Hemisphere nations - is slightly higher on the chain IMHO.

Foley is very erratic and Lilo's had an awful kicking season. Could be the key reason that White runs on at 9.

Well, the key reason White runs at 9 is, unlike Genia, he isn't playing like a bucket of shit. If he can kick goals as well, then he'll probably be the long range/backup kicker if Foley doesn't get the job done.

I don't get where this "Foley is a shit/erratic" kicker comes from. He did not have a good night with the boot in Melbourne, and suddenly everyone is "his action is all wrong" etc.

FFS he nailed 7/7 against the Lions. I didn't hear any of the fairy princesses on here criticising his action then!

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
No his action wasn't questioned only the fact the majority of kicks were pretty much in front so the result should be taken with a grain of salt.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hodgson has been fantastic for the force and deserves his wallaby call up. But let's get serious, of course he has made more tackles than hooper, the force have made over 300 more than the tahs. That also gives hodgson over 300 more breakdown opportunities.
According to fox stats hodgson has 13 combined pilfer/ forced penalties to hooper 10. So based on that, hooper would seem far more effective to me.
Hooper has made the most tackles at the tahs 127 (including multiple try savers), nearly double the next best tahs backrower, so I think it's safe to say he's doing his job in defence.
Other key stats.
Penalties conceded Hodgson 20, Hooper 9
Line outs won Hodgson 5, Hooper 12
This stat amazed me, hooper has run more metres than hodgson and McCalman combined.
Hooper runs 101/459m
Hodgson runs 102/168m
McCalman runs 134/276m
Hooper also has 6 line breaks and beaten 19 defenders, to hodgson 1 break and 10 defenders beaten.
The point is both have been fantastic for their teams but hooper should, and will be the wallaby openside, and maybe even captain.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, the key reason White runs at 9 is, unlike Genia, he isn't playing like a bucket of shit.

Genia hasn't been playing as well as we know he can, but it's unfair to say he's been playing like a bucket of shit. His form has been average. He's done some good stuff and some bad stuff, in a team that has been playing poorly. White has been in good form in a side generally in good form.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Genia was shit early on but he's playing decent now. He's probably on par with White in terms of halfback ability but White must get the 9 for his long range kicking.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with that BDA but I sure do miss the Genia that was electric. Some of it is no doubt confidence, some of it teams being better at shutting him down.

It always seemed to me his gift was being in action so quick the opposition couldn't read him. I can't help thinking he needs to spend less time thinking about others in the team and just letting rip.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
If genia plays behind a pack of marshmellows he struggles. If the right pack is chosen genia will either be serviceable or outstanding.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did he flooding have a permanent effect on the playing surface?
Yes.

OT: I like the squad that's been chosen. Perhaps Genia, Horwill and Simmons can count themselves a little lucky based on this season's form, but it is somewhat understandable why they are in there.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hodgson has been fantastic for the force and deserves his wallaby call up. But let's get serious, of course he has made more tackles than hooper, the force have made over 300 more than the tahs. That also gives hodgson over 300 more breakdown opportunities.
According to fox stats hodgson has 13 combined pilfer/ forced penalties to hooper 10. So based on that, hooper would seem far more effective to me.
Hooper has made the most tackles at the tahs 127 (including multiple try savers), nearly double the next best tahs backrower, so I think it's safe to say he's doing his job in defence.
Other key stats.
Penalties conceded Hodgson 20, Hooper 9
Line outs won Hodgson 5, Hooper 12
This stat amazed me, hooper has run more metres than hodgson and McCalman combined.
Hooper runs 101/459m
Hodgson runs 102/168m
McCalman runs 134/276m
Hooper also has 6 line breaks and beaten 19 defenders, to hodgson 1 break and 10 defenders beaten.
The point is both have been fantastic for their teams but hooper should, and will be the wallaby openside, and maybe even captain.

and although he doesn't have a (c) sitting to his name has also led, i think he should get the (c) for the wobs and with likes of Jones, Skelton, Sio, and others stepping up I like thinking we are at the start of another awesome era.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah Genia was shit early on but he's playing decent now. He's probably on par with White in terms of halfback ability but White must get the 9 for his long range kicking.

White is probably shading Genia at the moment, but my gut feel is that an average Genia game is on par with a good White game. Genia's best game is much better than White's best - he just needs to deliver it for the wallabies and he will justify selection.

Reactions: BDA

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Foley was kicking at 80% before the weekend and his misses on Friday brought him back to 76%. Still respectable. This may give Foley the front running for the 10 shirt in the first test. KBs figures are not great but he has only been taking long range shots.
White shouldn't be our first choice kicker and it would be a huge surprise if Genia did not start the first test.
Lilo has not shown any form to suggest he should be in the 23 and his kicking has been off.
QC (Quade Cooper) will be missed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley has limited range, the only ones with decent range are Beale and White. So if Genia starts you'd think Beale would firm at 10 conversely if Foley starts Link might have to go with White..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
White is probably shading Genia at the moment, but my gut feel is that an average Genia game is on par with a good White game. Genia's best game is much better than White's best - he just needs to deliver it for the wallabies and he will justify selection.

Genia's best is just about the best there is in world rugby and I sincerely hope he finds it again, he's such a barometer for the Wallabies. White is a pretty able backup though and might start depending on a few things, like the need for his big boot or the conditions (he's great in the wet, for instance).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Link selecting players in slightly different positions (eg Beale / AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) to what most posters thought or contemplated is just mind fucking everyone and keeping the guessing game open.

He is a measured bloke. He probably has already decided what team will be run-on (barring injuries this weekend).

Anyway, cannot wait for Monday's announcement of Captain (whether permanent or just for the Froggies Series) and Tuesday's team annoncment.

I'm looking forward to a Wallaby improvement across the park, a good series win agaiinst the Frogs, and the RC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom