• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Looking over that squad, in all honesty it is close. Yeah I'd like to see Jones, Sio, and Skelton in there, but who gets rubbed out.
Horwill.
The others close.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I must say I see Foley as a Very conservative choice for wallabies fly half. But i hope he does well.

I don't. For mine he has a well rounded game, can take on the line (which he does well), passes effectively from both sides, has a good boot (from the tee and out of hand) and brings his outside players in well. His option taking is good too. Sure he's not a flashy player like Quade, but there aren't many who are. Given the choices, I'd take him over KB (Kurtley Beale) nearly any day of the week, because in KB (Kurtley Beale)'s case I don't think he does enough at 10 to bring the other players into the game (which is the five-eighth's key task IMHO). He's a brilliant player, but he thrives in a situation where he can be more individualistic. A 10 can't be that guy.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't. For mine he has a well rounded game, can take on the line (which he does well), passes effectively from both sides, has a good boot (from the tee and out of hand) and brings his outside players in well. His option taking is good too. Sure he's not a flashy player like Quade, but there aren't many who are. Given the choices, I'd take him over KB (Kurtley Beale) nearly any day of the week, because in KB (Kurtley Beale)'s case I don't think he does enough at 10 to bring the other players into the game (which is the five-eighth's key task IMHO). He's a brilliant player, but he thrives in a situation where he can be more individualistic. A 10 can't be that guy.

I think it will be interesting to see how him and To'omua click, I think it could go along way to seeing how the backline play.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, totally. Could be a decent combination too, though I loved what QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua did in the latter half of last year.

Cooper and To'omua were an amazing combination, and I think in the end To'omua helps Cooper's game alot, just a level head to slot in and calmly take control. Although Cooper has calmed himself alot of last year and this year but To'omua just a fantastic player.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I really, badly hope Foley has a great series at 10. If he shows himself to be a quality test level 10 then I'm really liking our backline options for the world cup. Having the option of Cooper or Foley will be invaluable. Cooper has played at a world cup so his experience will be key but the ability to play with a different style 5/8 will make it harder for teams to prepare for us.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, totally. Could be a decent combination too, though I loved what QC (Quade Cooper) and To'omua did in the latter half of last year.
Yep, good combo indeed. Foley will bring something different, but the option of To'omua taking some 1st receiver is always a good thing.
Link intimated that Foley would have been in the squad regardless of Cooper's fitness, so he obviously sees something in his play that he likes.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If Longbottom was staying he could be fast tracked through in time for the world cup.

As that isn't happening, I would've liked Weeks (who's had a fabulous season) to replace Ryan for the rest of the test series.

While he's probably not going to be ready for RWC, PAE looks likely. Slow Burn, but on course to rip it up in '19 and '23 IMO.

Really long term, it's Allan Ala'alatoa, looks immense so far.

Oh fuck me, NO!

When will Australian rugby learn that you can not fast track a tighthead prop, of all bloody positions!

There is no fucken fast tracking of anyone to test level. You do not learn your bloody trade, in test rugby. Grind it out for a few years at minimum, showing consistency and mental application/drive, and THEN if you've actually been a standout, you get a run.

EG Skelton. Yes he's massive, but so fucking what? Rodney Blake was as well. He needs 2-3 years of being in a professional rugby environment, gaining the fitness, core skills, and HUNGER to wear gold.

It's one of the biggest failings of the Wallabies for the last decade, and the lack of results is more than enough proof that our players are not ready for battle at test level when most of them debut.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Those stats on Hooper show just how lucky we are to have the depth we do at openside. He's a super player and I'm glad he's playing for us and not the other blokes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
EG Skelton. Yes he's massive, but so fucking what? Rodney Blake was as well. He needs 2-3 years of being in a professional rugby environment, gaining the fitness, core skills, and HUNGER to wear gold.

It's one of the biggest failings of the Wallabies for the last decade, and the lack of results is more than enough proof that our players are not ready for battle at test level when most of them debut.

Rodney Blake was a useless fat fuck.

Skelton probably needs another year to be a starting test player but don't question his hunger or commitment. Link isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.