• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fulltime Black Ferns 44 Wallaroos 17

Improved performance from the Wallaroos in the second half in what appeared to be freezing conditions. Less missed tackles and greater involvements by our bigger ball carriers.

Tala Latu the standout performer on the field (she's a Two Blue but I don't think I'm being biased in expressing that opinion). Tala has been player of the tournament for the last two national championships but had to wait until last Friday to make her debut due to injury. Her running was direct and hard all game and she was justly rewarded with a try.

More work required on our set piece and I'd like to see even more involvement from our bigger girls.

I remain of the view that the England team is probably the best of the teams at this tournament. They have set a standard for the others to aspire to if they want to win the upcoming World Cup. Having said that I note that they had to withstand a Canadian comeback today but ended up winning 27-20.

And for the obligatory Two Blues reference - Chloe Butler's desire to be involved should be bottled. Tala and Chloe were inspirational.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Our Seahorse (& former Ratette I believe) Barker lined up at 9 today & I thought she did herself & our club proud (as she did coming off the bench in the first game). I cant fault the effort of the players. The women who play 15's from club level & beyond are very passionate & competitive. In the end the system is largely the problem. England's system especially shits all over ours.

2bluesfan you're not wrong about Latu I first saw her play at the Rugby 10's - she's a weapon.

The streaming on world cup website is better than nothing but its poor. I watched the game but I cannot find any videos of the previous games to be able to watch through them a second time.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wallaroos ring the changes for the final match, v Canada tomorrow:

The Wallaroos take on Canada in Rotorua tomorrow, kicking off at 10:30am AEST, broadcast LIVE on worldrugby.org.

1. Violeta Tupuola, ACT, 1 Test
2. Cheyenne Campbell (C), Queensland, 11 Tests
3. Evelyn Horomia, Sydney, 1 Test
4. Rebecca Clough (VC), Western Australia, 12 Tests
5. Millie Boyle, ACT, 2 Tests
6. Kiri Lingman, Queensland, 2 Tests
7. Chloe Butler, Souths Australian Barbarians, 8 Tests
8. Victoria Latu, Sydney, 2 Tests
9. Cobie-Jane Morgan (VC), Sydney, 15 Tests
10. Fenella Hake, Queensland, 2 Tests
11. Natasha Haines, Western Australian, 8 Tests
12. Kayla Sauvao, Sydney, 2 Tests
13. Sarah Riordan, NSW, ADF, 3 Tests
14. Nareta Marsters, Queensland, 3 Tests
15. Samantha Treherne, Queensland, 2 Tests
Reserves
16. Liz Patu, Queensland, 11 Tests
17. Hilisha Samoa, Queensland, 2 Tests
18. Hana Ngaha, Queensland, 3 Tests
19. Alisha Hewett, Queensland, ADF, 12 Tests
20. Grace Hamilton, Sydney, 3 Tests
21. Katrina Barker, NSW Country, 4 Tests
22. Huia Swannell, Western Australia, 1 Test
23. Ashleigh Hewson, Sydney, 14 Tests

Canada's team is:
1. Carolyn McEwen, Burnaby Lake Rugby Club (Vancouver, BC)
2. Jane Kirby, Highland Fergus Rugby Club (Brampton, ON)
3. DaLeaka Menin, Hornets (Vulcan, AB)
4. Kayla Mack, Saskatoon Wild Oats (Saskatoon, SK)
5. Laura Russell, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
6. Jacey Grusnick, Barrhaven Scottish (Alliston, ON)
7. Karen Paquin, Club de Rugby de Quebec/Castaway Wanderers (Quebec City, QC (Quade Cooper))
8. Kelly Russell, captain Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
9. Lori Josephson, Aurora Barbarians (Beaverton, ON)
10. Emily Belchos, Westshore RFC (Innisfil, ON)
11. Frederique Rajotte, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC (Montreal, QC (Quade Cooper))
12. Amanda Thornborough, Westshore RFC (Brandon, MB)
13. Brittany Waters, Meraloma Athletic Club/Castaway Wanderers (Vancouver, BC)
14. Magali Harvey, Town of Mont-Royal RFC (Quebec City, QC (Quade Cooper))
15. Julianne Zussman, Castaway Wanderers (Montreal, QC (Quade Cooper))
Reserves
16. Brittany Kassil, Guelph Redcoats (Guelph, ON)
17. Olivia DeMerchant, Woodstock Wildmen/Castaway Wanderers (Mapledale, NB)
18. Tyson Beukeboom, Aurora Barbarians/Cowichan RFC (Uxbridge, ON)
19. Cindy Nelles, Belleville Bulldogs (Belleville, ON)
20. Barbara Mervin, Westshore RFC (Peterborough, ON)
21. Chelsea Guthrie, Stratchona Druids (Edmonton, AB)
22. Alex Tessier, Montreal Barbarians (Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, QC (Quade Cooper))
23. Brianna Miller, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Pointe-Claire, QC (Quade Cooper))

For the Wallaroos, long time skipper and fullback Ash Hewson rotated to the bench. Cheyenne Campbell elevated to captain. Cobie-Jane Morgan returns to halfback and the back three are re-arranged. ARU story here.

Obligatory Two Blues reference - Three Parramatta Two Blues players (7 Butler, 8 Latu and 12 Sauvao) will continue to bring total commitment.

Ranked third in the world, Canada would be strong favourites here over the sixth ranked Wallaroos but I'd be interested in putting a few dollars on the Wallaroos.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Canada 45 Wallaroos 5
HT 26-0

I only saw the second half but it's fair to say the Wallaroos were outmuscled up front. Apparently number 8 Tala Latu went off injured very early in the first half but 2 YCs didn't help the cause.

Canada have a very good side, well drilled and mobile. Their number 8 Russell is a very good player and they have a few speedsters out wide. They'll be genuine threats at the World Cup.

Time for the Wallaroos to regroup and somehow find a way to strengthen their set piece and overall discipline (keeping to their structures as much as anything else) before they travel to Ireland.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the other match today, England 29 Black Ferns 21. I didn't get to see this match but the result doesn't surprise me.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the end the system is largely the problem. England's system especially shits all over ours.
The England team that started against the Black Ferns today had a total of 850 caps. Their bench players had a total of over 300 caps.

They've certainly got their act together over there.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Three Seven's players included in World Cup squad.

Ten from Queensland but only one from my club now (Alisha Hewett) - looks like Caroline Fairs from GPS has dropped out.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/06/28/00/37/wallaroos-world-cup-squad

A total of 156 Test caps in the squad. Compared to the 850 fielded by the starting 15 for England recently. Going to be tough.

Dynamic number eight Victoria (Tala) Latu unavailable due to injury. Devastating news for Tala who was, IMO, the best player for the Wallaroos in the recent series held in NZ.

Obligatory Two Blues Reference: Three Two Blues - Chloe Butler, Alexandra Sulusi and Kayla Sauvao - well done girls!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wallaroos hit the lead in second half against Ireland at the World Cup.

Nice work. But the home side get it back. 14-10 at 65 mins.

Final score Ireland 19-17 Australia, a conversion the difference.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great efforts by the Wallaroos today but they will be disappointed in how they executed some of the basics, particularly on their own throw at lineout time. I'll be surprised if Hewson doesn't start next match - it could be argued that goal kicking cost the Wallaroos at least a draw and possibly a win.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Great efforts by the Wallaroos today but they will be disappointed in how they executed some of the basics, particularly on their own throw at lineout time. I'll be surprised if Hewson doesn't start next match
Agree with this.
- it could be argued that goal kicking cost the Wallaroos at least a draw and possibly a win.
But while kicking in general, not only for goal, wasn't great, Ireland were good for the win IMO and just that little better in their overall game.

As the Wallaroos only appear when there is a World Cup is on the horizon, it's lucky they have this tournament to keep the name alive.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
But while kicking in general, not only for goal, wasn't great, Ireland were good for the win IMO and just that little better in their overall game.

As the Wallaroos only appear when there is a World Cup is on the horizon, it's lucky they have this tournament to keep the name alive.

Agreed.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is Women's test football usually so 'pick and drive' and 'one off runner' focused?

TBH, I didn't really enjoy the style of play on show in this particular game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree with this.

Goal kicking lost us that game and I think any realistic chance of a finals place. I don't agree Ireland were better, if we'd kicked the two gettable conversions we were home in a tight one. One out of two meant a draw. Overall I thought it was an excellent performance between two evenly-matched teams.

Surely that wasn't our best kicker in the squad. Her technique was all over the place. Once again Australian coaches have been taught you must have a reliable kicker as a starter and a finisher. When will we learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.