• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Some first round action tomorrow with the might of Homebush Boys taking on the boys of St Patrick's, on St Pats main oval.

I'm going to make a bold prediction that Homebush boys will give St Pats a real go tomorrow and push for an upset win. Can't wait for the local derby!!
Hope so - Homebush being competitive is a throw back to the glory days of the Shield

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Pats 48 Homebush Boys 12

Two very different styles of rugby played, with St Pats more structured and smarter play outdid the aggression and ticker of the Homebush team. St Pats will take on Marist Pearce in their second round clash.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Pats definetly won. 48-12.

I believe there is a typo/grammatical error in the first sentence of hbhrugby analysis of the game. HBH has hit the nail on the head with a very sound wrap up of the round 1 performance.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Rules state that Round 1 has to be completed by 24 May (end of this week) [Teams already known to be progressing to round 2 in boldface]

Round 1 draw
St Augustines v Bye
St Andrews vs Daramalan

Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High
Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi

St Patricks vs Homebush Boys High
Bye vs Marist ACT

St Stannies vs Bye
Illawarra Sports v Knox Grammar

Trinity Goulburn v St Edmunds
Hills Sports vs Bye

Endeavour Sports vs Randwick Boys
The Bye vs Oakhill

Looks like a few games to be played this week, with all the CHS boys in Coffs Harbour for Selection Trials later in the week. Hmmmm great timing if some of these games haven't already been played.

Any results anyone?

Round 2 Games by 19 July are then:
St Augustines vs Winner (St Andrews v Daramalan)
Winner( Farrer Ag vs Prariewood High) vs (Westfield Sports vs Kinross Wolaroi)

St Patricks vs Marist ACT
St Stannies v Winner (Illawarra Sports v Knox Gramamr)

Winner (Trinity Goulburn v St Edmunds) vs Hills Sports
Winner ( Endeavour Sports vs Randwick Boys) vs Oakhill

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Considering all first round matches need to be played by tomorrow, does anyone know any results besides the Homebush V St Pats. I'd be particularly interested to know the result of the Westfields Sport Kinross match.

Hopefully not but is there any chance of patenting forfeits in the midst, considering Prariewood High had to travel toTamworth. To play Farrer??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Considering all first round matches need to be played by tomorrow, does anyone know any results besides the Homebush V St Pats. I'd be particularly interested to know the result of the Westfields Sport Kinross match.

Hopefully not but is there any chance of patenting forfeits in the midst, considering Prariewood High had to travel toTamworth. To play Farrer??
Pats won it - it was last week: someone posted the result earlier in the thread.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/waratah-shield-2013.12599/page-2#post-483543

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Can confirm that St Andrews forfeited against Daramalan. I am finding quite disappointing that there are forfeits in the first round, but I guess that's the problem with the city and country make up. randwick also forfeited against Endeavour.

Does anyone know whether any traveling schools played, ie Prariewood and Farrer, westfields and Kinross and Illawarra and Knox.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Round 2 fixtures...

St Augustine's vs Daramalan

St Patrick's vs Marist ACT

Endeavour vs Oakhill

Struggling to find out th other results... If anyone could give me a hand it would be appreciated.'

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WARATAH CUP GALA DAY COMPETITION RULES
Waratah Cup Gala Days will be held in the first three weeks of term two (i.e. no later than 13th May). Your local Australian Rugby Union Development staff member will advise of your region’s Gala Day and provide the various rules, regulations and draws. ARU staff contact details are located in appendix two. At all Gala Days there will be an emphasis on participation, enjoyment, safety and skill development. Any rules or regulations not covered by the ARU will revert to those noted in the Waratah Shield Rules. However, the following will apply:
1. Teams will play no more than 90 minutes of rugby per day.
2. Up to 16 regional Gala Day winners including where applicable runners-up will progress through to the next round.
3. The winner and runner-up of the Waratah Cup will progress through to the quarter finals of the Waratah Shield

Technically all the Waratah Cup Gala days should have been held.
The only result I know of is what was in the SMH on Saturday.

The Central Coast Pool Final was held between Brisbane Water SC (19) and Gosford High School (7).

As winners, Brisbane Water SC progress to the next stage. Gosford may also progress depending on "where applicable".

The Waratah Cup Finalist and Runner Up enter the Waratah Shield Draw in the Quarter Finals stage.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
so - seriously? - there is no web-site to record the result of these games? nothing in the paper to announce the 2nd round? It would be interesting to know on Who's actual desk, the responsibility for logistics and organisation of this competition actually lands... why is he not doing his job?... its not that hard.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hell West & Crooked, it was even more farcical last year when in round 2 or 3 Auggies (eventual winners) took on High.

The result was a 148 - 0 scoreline.

See here for a summary of some of the comment at the time:
Runner said:
Looking at Rugby Tribute page on Warath shield and see Augguies have draw Sydney Boys High. Is that for real?
148-0
with quite a few 1st players rested!
Sorry but that score line should really read as:
Auggies 148 - Rugby 0
No favours are done with a scoreline like that! F#%k me, but to even allow such a game was sheer lunacy!
The administrators need to review their draw methodology for next year.
A thrashing of this order does no one any favors, but it is not St Augs fault. They should not have to run out their 16C's to make a Waratah Cup game a fair contest.

I am doing my best to try and maintain some sort of publicly available record of what is going on in this competition, ably assisted by hbhrugby.

Without gaggerland and the limited Schools Rugby tribune reports, the Waratah Shield competition would be publicly promoted less than an impromptu pickup game of sookball between 20 1/2 drunk pommie backpackers on the back of coogee oval having just met 2 hours before in the beer garden at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

Only the Australian Junior Rugby Union appears to be more secretive.

I wonder if the alleged Chinese hackers who have stolen the plans to ASIO's new building would care to do a similar job on the AJRU or the Waratah Shield people.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Hell West & Crooked, it was even more farcical last year when in round 2 or 3 Auggies (eventual winners) took on High.

The result was a 148 - 0 scoreline.

See here for a summary of some of the comment at the time:

I am doing my best to try and maintain some sort of publicly available record of what is going on in this competition, ably assisted by hbhrugby.

Without gaggerland and the limited Schools Rugby tribune reports, the Waratah Shield competition would be publicly promoted less than an impromptu pickup game of sookball between 20 1/2 drunk pommie backpackers on the back of coogee oval having just met 2 hours before in the beer garden at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

I take your point, and appreciate your efforts on this board - but someone must be charged with running this competition - some individual within a larger organisation who is given the responsibility of issuing results... If he is in a voluntary position it is wholly undertsandable, but I am working from an assumption it is not? Who's competition is it - NSWRU? NSW Schools, or?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Read the Handbook to find out who is responsible (it is not a big download).

The best way to avoid individual accountability is to run things jointly.

http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/Waratah_Shield__Cup_Handbook_2013.pdf
The cover of the handbook fingers these organisations

NSW Rugby Union
in conjunction with
NSW School’s Rugby Union
and
NSW Combined High Schools
present the
2013 Waratah Shield & Cup

According to the handbook, the actual organisers appear to be these people below, all of whom seem to have proper "day jobs" so should be considered to be "overworked volunteers". Blame the unpaid interns at NSWRU marketing.

Geoff Garland
Convenor Waratah Cup
9874 7026 0406 150 338
geoffmgarland@hotmail.com

John Papahatzis
Convenor Teams 1-6 Waratah Shield Draw
0402 149 365
jpapahatzis@saintaug.nsw.edu.au

Paul Kipp
Convenor Teams 7-12 Waratah Shield Draw
4261 4539
PAUL.KIPP@det.nsw.edu.au

Geoff Melville
Convenor Teams 13-18 Waratah Shield Draw
0438 314 199
gmelville@stannies.com

Paul Ridgeway
Convenor Teams 19-24 Waratah Shield Draw
0401 077 796
PAUL.RIDGWAY@det.nsw.edu.au

Mark Green
NSW Rugby Union
9323 3402
mgreen@nswrugby.com.au

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Noted - I am not in the habit of getting stuck into Rugby Volounteers, particularly at schoolboy level - its understandable if they are trying to do it in their spare time...

Its a bloody shame tho, that someone drawing a salary out of the NSWRU could not also take the time to get behind these competitions... - it would save them a fortune in the long run. Even just ensuring all the results are published at the end of each round (as a start).

The cynical side of me imagines there is someone in the NSWRU paid to look after development, who does not see the Waratah Shield as "his responsibility"... It would be terrific to see the final each year played as a curtainraiser to a test, or a Waratahs fixture...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. Maybe Gagger could approach NSWRU with a proposition to promote and market the 2014 Waratah Shield/cup.

Could make a buck or two to keep the G&GR going.

There is enough volunteer talent in the kingdom of Gaggerland to do an outstanding job.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Geoff Garland is responsible for Waratah Cup not Waratah Shield. He may not have Round 1 Waratah Shield results.

The Waratah Cup Winners and Runners up get a free pass to the 1/4 finals of the Waratah Shield.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Another round 1 fixture was played today, even though scheduled to be completed 5 days ago?? St Edmunds 94 defeated Trinity Goulburn 3. A shocking result for the future of the Waratah Shield. This knockout competition has the potential to be a uniting and mutual bond between all associations in ACT and NSW, but results like this need to be avoided. What will be the motivation for Goulburn to participate next year?? Defiepnetly not the fault of Eddies as they can only play what is in front of them.

Likely to be a more engaging game, to highlight the potential of the shield is the Marist ACT v St Pats fixture on Wednesday the 5th of June, next week. The game will be played on Breen Oval at St Pats, time tbc.

This means eddies will play hills sports in round 2 which will be a pearled if Hills participate in full. Don't know why they wouldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.