• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I believe St Augustines are playing Epping Boys HS in a quarter final of the Waratah Shield at EBHS at about 2 pm today. Given Augies are pretty much the ISA rep side, I think they are backing themselves for a win.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ One fears that this will be a repeat of the Augies v SBHS fiasco of a year or two back where Augies won by about 130 points to zip.

Scorelines like that are not good for Rugby, Augies or EBHS.

It is not Augies fault, and they should not have to send their 3rd XV along to a 1/4 final of the Waratah Shield just to make it a competitive game.

The organisers perhaps need to seriously look at the draw and the Shield round that they inject the Cup Winner and Runner up.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Given the way Epping managed to get to the 1/4s ie over two hours of football to come a close 2nd in the cup they a clearly capable of playing an entire game I am sure it won't be the table tennis team heading out there. Here's hoping that in this world of scholarships and known performers that there a little eddies of hidden talent that can rattle some cages.
I would expect an Augies win but not by the margin feared by HJ

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Before the Holidays, Augies put 70 or so points on Oakhill in their ISA Div 1 Match.

I hope that EBHS can be competitive, but the 2013 Augies 1st XV seems to be a reasonable team that must be considered favourite for the Waratah Shield and the ISA Div 1 Title.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Before the Holidays, Augies put 70 or so points on Oakhill in their ISA Div 1 Match.

I hope that EBHS can be competitive, but the 2013 Augies 1st XV seems to be a reasonable team that must be considered favourite for the Waratah Shield and the ISA Div 1 Title.

I suspect Merewether HS will have a much easier tilt at Oakhill in their 1/4 final Shield match. A benefit of snagging first place in the Waratah Cup no doubt... Keen to hear the scores.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
^^^ One fears that this will be a repeat of the Augies v SBHS fiasco of a year or two back where Augies won by about 130 points to zip.
Scorelines like that are not good for Rugby, Augies or EBHS

Here's hoping that in this world of scholarships and known performers that there a little eddies of hidden talent that can rattle some cages.
I would expect an Augies win but not by the margin feared by HJ

Well, my snout tells me it was not as bad as HJ feared, and not as bad as Oakhill's result, but still not great: St Augustines 65 - 19 Epping Boys HS. Apparently the Augies boys were too big, fast and skillful, and lots of soft tries from overlaps and poor defence. EBHS seems to have done a good job given I'm told they are a team of leaguies and soccer players, with a few boys who play local club rugby on the weekends.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Can anyone tell us how many St Augustines boys play in the ISA rep side(s). Are there 1 or 2 ISA teams - just one I think?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well, my snout tells me it was not as bad as HJ feared, and not as bad as Oakhill's result, but still not great: St Augustines 65 - 19 Epping Boys HS. Apparently the Augies boys were too big, fast and skillful, and lots of soft tries from overlaps and poor defence. EBHS seems to have done a good job given I'm told they are a team of leaguies and soccer players, with a few boys who play local club rugby on the weekends.

For essentially "part timers" that is a good outcome and they are to be congratulated for giving it a red hot go, but... .....Pappa (Augies Coach) is a fairly canny fellow and probably would not have deployed the full artillery regiment at his disposal at full strength.

He will have his eye on securing the Waratah Cup, ISA Div 1 Title, and enroute to that will most likely have blooded a few Year 10 boys to gain experience for season 2014, whilst managing the injury risk to his key players along the way.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
2 ISA teams with 38 boys from across the association named.

Augies players in the 38 were:

Augies
A Tukipilli, M Cook, J Lough, J Taefotu, J Ibbotson, J Walker, S Halaifonua, M Arnold, C Taylor, J Parker, H Cochrane, B Fontaine, B Hollis, G McDonald, M Osborn, J Kaplan, A Hanigan.

Thanks Hugh. Given there was only one EBHS boy in the CHS squads IIRC, they did indeed do very well, all things considered. Good luck to St Augustiines in the semi and grand finals.

Interested to hear other 1/4 final results in the Shield . . . . .

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any chance on the back of this performance that EBHS could be tempted to play some more regular games against the likes of SBHS, North Sydney BHS, Randwick BHS and similar?

EBHS have a proud rugby history.

Sideline Eye, Lee Grant and the other mods have done a great job to keep the Schoolboy thread posts fairly organised. While there is a fair bit of self-promotional nonsense and some fan club stuff from parents, friends, school and club associates, once you filter those out, there is lots of good Rugby Info on these threads about who played for whom, when, and what the score was, and it is all more or less in the one place. Usually found with a google search or even with the search field at the top of the forum page near your user name.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
EBHS have a proud rugby history.

Indeed: Just checked out the Waratah Shield stats and Epping BHS won it in 1967, 1968 and 1969. Checking some other stats pages: Brett Papworth (Wallaby), Ian Williams (Wallaby), and Stuart Dickinson (most capped international referee) are alumni. In '69 Peter Robinson from EBHS was captain of the Australian Schoolboys 1st XV. Papworth was captain of the Australian Schoolboys 1st XV in 1981.

Looking at the Australian Schools Archive we find 10 Australian Schoolboys who came from Epping BHS: Robert Armstrong 1969, Alan Coutts 1969, Robert Fosbert 1969, Sean Mooney 1969, Peter Robinson 1969, Mark Ellice-Flint 1973, John Breckenridge 1981, Brett Papworth 1980 & 1981, Ian Williams 1981, Peter Waring 2000.

Any chance on the back of this performance that EBHS could be tempted to play some more regular games against the likes of SBHS, North Sydney BHS, Randwick BHS and similar?

Just had a chat with a snout at Epping BHS, and can tell you they already play North Sydney and Randwick BHS. They play all their sport - including rugby - in the Metropolitan Nth West Zone against 7 other public schools: Homebush, Asquith, Normanhurst, Ashfield, North Sydney, Muirfield and Randwick (Randwick joined their zone in 1995 for rugby because they were looking for better competition than their local zone).

The snout said one reason they don't perform well in games like the one v Augies yesterday is a lack of regular competition week to week, and lack of competition at that higher level. They have had more forfeits in their Zone comp than games, and most games they do play they win by 60-ish points. This is frustrating for them. Also had many forfeits in early rounds of the Waratah Cup.

The strongest teams in their Zone comp are Homebush and Epping BHS. Even Randwick 1st grade played in the 2nd grade comp this year. Epping BHS 2nd grade played in the first grade comp in the search for decent competition thorugh the season, but competed in the 2nd grade grand final v Randwick (losing 10-12 to Randwick 1st grade in the final).

They are looking at options for better rugby competition, and considering approaches to other schools like Marist Eastwood, Oakhill College, St Pats, Prairiewood, etc, for some better mid-week competition, but other zones play sport on different afternoons (Met Nth on Wednesdays, other zones on Thursdays, for eg). which causes major class timetable problems. I'm told they are keen for options if anyone would like to suggest some...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe EBHS could form their own Junior Village Club and play in the SJRU Opens competition on Sundays.

This could be a challenge as it sounds as if the team is a mix of boys who may already be committed to other sports on Sundays.

This would at least get them regular competition without forfeits and 60-0 scorelines.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I suspect Merewether HS will have a much easier tilt at Oakhill in their 1/4 final Shield match. A benefit of snagging first place in the Waratah Cup no doubt. Keen to hear the scores.

Quarter Finals Draw to be played by 1 August
St Augustines (65) def Epping BHS (19) (Cup Runner Up)
Marist ACT vs Farrar Ag
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 1

Knox (43) def St Edmunds (26)
Merewether HS (Cup Winner) vs Oakhill
Winner of these two matches face off in Semi Final 2

Anyone have an update on the Waratah Shield quarter final matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.