• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
I'm convinced I'm being wound up here. People are worried about Carter's defence and not Kurtley Beale's ? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

We're not talking about Beale you silly twat. We're talking about Carter.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, I'm with Bruce and naza. I have never seen the evidence that Carter is too slow to adjust laterally in defence. The stats indicate the opposite, which puts the burden of proof onto the haters.

Mind you, NTA's stat would not be bizarre, but very useful. George Smith always missed a couple of tackles a game because he was doing 3 people's work. But that should be shown up in "tackles attempted" as Bruce indicates.

Peter Hewat was a pissweak tackler but excellent positionally. He deterred runners, rather than tackled them.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:
Yeah, I'm with Bruce and naza. I have never seen the evidence that Carter is too slow to adjust laterally in defence. The stats indicate the opposite, which puts the burden of proof onto the haters.

Mind you, NTA's stat would not be bizarre, but very useful. George Smith always missed a couple of tackles a game because he was doing 3 people's work. But that should be shown up in "tackles attempted" as Bruce indicates.

Peter Hewat was a pissweak tackler but excellent positionally. He deterred runners, rather than tackled them.

I lean to the Bruce, Naza and Scarfie view. I have few worries about Carter at 13 defensively. I have many worries about him in attack - turning half breaks into full breaks and full breaks into tries doesn't strike me as his forte.

I confess outright that I have seen Carter only as 12 in S14 and have not seen him at all in club rugby. Notwithstanding that he may have been under certain instructions, the evidence of my eyes is not encouraging.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
NTA does have a point. We really have to see him play at the Super level at 13 first to see how he deals with the new defensive paradigm - and the offensive one too.

You may or may not be surprised to know, Lee, that I agree that he does have a valid point. What I took issue with was not the sentiment but the dogmatic way it was expressed.

"Too slow defensively for 13."
"Carter does not have the LATERAL speed to play the defensive role in the 13 channel."

I happen to be convinced that he will handle defence at 13 as well as or better than any other Australian back, but that's my personal view based on observing a very large number of his games since he left school. But let's suspend judgement until he plays the position at Super level.

I also disagree with NTA's other dogmatic assertion that "he also does not have the straight line speed to capitalise on breaks," an opinion which seems to be endorsed by many posters. From my knowledge of his strength and sprint training in the off-season, I believe that he currently has more than adequate speed for the outside centre position. And in any case, if he is such a draft horse, how come he is consistently way out in front of anyone else on kick chases?

But again, let's see how he shapes up this season.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce Ross said:
And in any case, if he is such a draft horse, how come he is consistently way out in front of anyone else on kick chases?

No offence intended, Bruce, so please don't take any ... but ... could it be because no other Tah chases?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Nah, Bruce, he's too slow. Half breaks die in his hands. And I'm a fan!

What happened to Ben Jacobs? Should I look in the Troubador thread?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:

What happened to Ben Jacobs? Should I look in the Troubador thread?

I have seen him playing in England quite a lot on the TV. Still gifted. Slower. Still breaks easily.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Biffo said:
No offence intended, Bruce, so please don't take any ... but ... could it be because no other Tah chases?

There's an element of truth in that, Biffo. I remember last year thinking how much more potent his chases would have been with a couple of other backs trailling in pursuit. I really don't know what wingers think they are there for.

Scarfman said:

I think you might be pleasantly surprised this year, Scarfman. Not that I accept that he was slow last year, particularly if you make allowance for the amount of ground he covered during games and the energy he expended in breakdown situations.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce Ross said:
Biffo said:

There's an element of truth in that, Biffo. I remember last year thinking how much more potent his chases would have been with a couple of other backs trailling in pursuit. I really don't know what wingers think they are there for.

Scarfman said:

I think you might be pleasantly surprised this year, Scarfman. Not that I accept that he was slow last year, particularly if you make allowance for the amount of ground he covered during games and the energy he expended in breakdown situations.

Far more than an element was intended. When a coach singles out one player for very high praise for chasing, it's a fair bet that the rest aren't chasing. The coach's comments, as I recall, were that Carter WAS the Tahs' chase.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
You're not going to get me arguing against you on the issue of him being the sole chaser, Biffo. But I don't accept that his chases were in any way pedestrian.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The NSW Waratahs have continued their preparations for the upcoming Super 14 season with an 83-15 thrashing of Fiji in a trial match in Orange.

Despite fielding an understrength team, NSW ran in 13 tries to two in an entertaining spectacle in front of more than 6,500 fans in a match played over four 20-minute quarters.

Waratahs winger Nemani Nadolo made sure he caught the attention of NSW coach Chris Hickey with an outstanding game as internationals Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner looked on from the sidelines.

Fiji scored the final points of the night much to the delight of a vocal crowd.

The match was the second in the pre-season for the Waratahs, following their 26-24 loss to Queensland in Lismore last Saturday.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Carter at 13? Come on guys, I know Horne is injured but seriously?

At least now the wings will see some ball. Kurtley better get that cutout pass greased up.

If Carter put the same amount of energy into playing rugby as he does into chirping, pushing people after the whistle and generally acting the dickhead we may yet see a rugby player emerge. Until then he remains a pretender and lucky as anything to hold a S14 contract.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Gee, I hope it wasn't a full strength Fiji side..Nadolo has obvious potential purely due to his size and speed, but he didn't do too much against Qld the previous week. A better indication will be how he goes against the Brumbies this Thursday..hope he gets a run.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Personally, I doubted that Carter had lateral defence good enough for the S14 and was a flat track bully two years ago. He proved me embarassingly wrong on the defence part - given some time to adjust defensively at the S14, one assumes he should make a good defensive 13. I also think that Carter's faster than he looks in a straight line, but he has below average acceleration (in stark contrast to a Mat Rogers, who had huge acceleration but low top end speed).

Perhaps with a bit more space Carter may find more of a gap or half gap. But so far, that's what he has lacked in the S14 - the ability to run a good line to find a gap / beat a man, and to put his outside man away (or really pass much at all). Carter at 13 wouldn't surprise me either way of the following: doing well enough with more space at 13 and pass more and find some gaps, or he could be a firewall again like Lee said.

With Horne still the serial crock, looks like Carter deserves a shot at 13. Wouldn't mind seeing Sidey get a chance as well, though.

Oh, and I agree with Blue - Carter should leave his ridiculous Monkey Magic try celebration and niggly behaviour behind. Looks silly on a 12.

I thought that the Fiji Warriors were a "barbarians" type side, with whatever Fijians they can find to play at the time...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Blue said:
Was that a full strength Fiji side? Surely not?

The best Fijian players are playing in Europe. The second best are playing in Japan. These guys are local Fijian players, or maybe they have the odd non-pro Fijian from NZ or elsewhere thrown in.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spot on Ash. Carter is quick enough once going, but won't burn through a gap. And he is a twat. But for all that he makes the most of his abilities, and at least doesn't fall to bits 3 times a season. From what I've seen of him at S14 and club level, he defends fine. Remember, defense is a team thing, and it's as much about how he fits in the defensive plan and structure as anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.