• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That second link you've provided is the first that I've seen to suggest that the ARU said no.

I'd certainly seen the articles that the Reds were keen to investigate it but nothing following saying they were frustrated by the ARU's refusal or anything of the sort.

In April 2010 it was announced that he'd signed with the Blues and NZRU again for two years.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are other sources if you still want them. Either way even though they have denied a request before it doesn't mean they'll do it again now, and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since in terms of extensions being granted to others.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see him as a perfect marque unit, under appreciated at home, but helped the Tahs develop part of their game that was lacking while becoming a cult hero for the fans.

The ARU would be crazy to not provide the dispensation

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Hmmm, I pretty much agree with both sides of this argument. I think it's a bit stupid to just give an extension because a player is "popular", but I also think it's a bit silly to just send a popular player that seems to have brought a lot to a side on his way because of a somewhat arbitrary rule. For mine, the answer is to get rid of the rule, or follow the rule. Rules that pretty much no one follows only serve to punish those who operate in good faith.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
So in the light of Palu leaving and the prospect of re-signing McCalman, who else could be a chance to fill Cliffy's shoes? Tala Grey is built in the frame of Palu and he is injured just as often. Holloway has the talent and the engine but is built in the frame of Higginbotham rather than Palu. Are there any Young(big) options rising from gen blue and the under 20's? I mentioned Keliti Vaingalo or Edwin Maka last year and nearly had my ears chewed off... What else do we have?

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
So in the light of Palu leaving and the prospect of re-signing McCalman, who else could be a chance to fill Cliffy's shoes? Tala Grey is built in the frame of Palu and he is injured just as often. Holloway has the talent and the engine but is built in the frame of Higginbotham rather than Palu. Are there any Young(big) options rising from gen blue and the under 20's? I mentioned Keliti Vaingalo or Edwin Maka last year and nearly had my ears chewed off. What else do we have?

Last year there were a whole choir of people saying that 8 should be Will Skelton's long term position. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting thought. In my mind, if the Tahs can keep Potgeitier, they'll probably rotate Grey and Holloway in the 8 position, otherwise they'll probably go hard out on McCalman, and probably snatch him up. Then they can play him at 8 and Grey/Holloway at 6. I would think they would want to avoid playing two relatively inexperienced back rowers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they will have a crack at signing McCalman otherwise Gray and Holloway will do the job admirably.

In some ways I'd prefer that they showed faith in those two and left McCalman at the Force.

Maybe McCalman will look to return to Sydney though. With his little brother in the under 20s, there's a chance he could have an EPS contract soon and maybe Ben would like to play at the same club as him?

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Further to the above, I'm ready for the Tahs to splash some serious cash next year. They'll be losing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kepu, Palu, Foley potentially Potgetier, and I'm sure a few more that aren't on the top of my head. That will free up a fair bit of money I would think. I'm thinking there could be some interesting signings this year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

Maybe McCalman will look to return to Sydney though. With his little brother in the under 20s, there's a chance he could have an EPS contract soon and maybe Ben would like to play at the same club as him?

Not Bros. They are cousins from the Central West (Cumnock & Kings School = Jack, Warren & Kinross Wollaroi = Ben)

Some city folk would believe that cousins and bro are one and the same once you leave the Sydney Metro Area.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Holloway should be given a go along with Gray, bring a young player through at the right pace and maybe give Ward a chance in extended squad?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rebels and the force had legitimate reasons to keep their players. Yours are bullshit. Qld couldn't keep Braid.
Just remembered that Qld got dispensation to keep O'Donaghue don't they? He's captured for Ireland and this is his 3rd season at least with the Reds. Considering they now have Thompson he's been given complete dispensation. He doesn't even count as marquee international even though he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just remembered that Qld got dispensation to keep O'Donaghue don't they? He's captured for Ireland and this is his 3rd season at least with the Reds. Considering they now have Thompson he's been given complete dispensation. He doesn't even count as marquee international even though he is.

Ed O'Donoghue wasn't a member of the Reds' full time squad in 2013..........

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
One thing I've noticed this year, and particularly last night, is the Tahs tackle completion rate is not anything like it was last year. They seem to be getting hands on guys, but then letting them go far too often.

T

TOCC

I don't think Potgeiter should remain either, it's not in Australian Rugby's best interest..

On the weekend just gone only 2 of the starting blindside flankers from the 5 Australian teams are eligible to represent the Wallabies.. Thomson and Potgeiter are marquee players and Stander is a foreign development player who won't be eligible until the end of 2016.

Foreign marquee players should only be temporary, the two year time frame is sufficient otherwise we risk compromising the depth for the Wallabies.. Which is already occurring at blindside flanker this year..

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Ed O'Donoghue wasn't a member of the Reds' full time squad in 2013....
Did he play 5 games or more because if he did they had to make him a squad member.

In any case they still have 2 marquee internationals currently. Doesn't bother me. Just an example of not only NSW getting what they ask for.

T

TOCC

In any case they still have 2 marquee internationals currently. Doesn't bother me. Just an example of not only NSW getting what they ask for.

I don't think Ed should have been retained either, had he not been signed the Reds might have retained Rory Arnold or Blake Enever.

My issue is that currently Australian rugby has 3 foreign players starting at blindside flanker..

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the fact that he was both at the very end of his career, not likely to play much longer and a Brisbane native helped in Ed's case. Probably didn't hurt that there were two wallaby locks in front of him, so he wasn't really blocking anyone. Either way it was probably an unnecessary exemption, I think Kotze and, McDuling look better at this point and having an extra young guy to look at before horwill goes might have been a better option.

Reactions: Ash

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think Ed should have been retained either, had he not been signed the Reds might have retained Rory Arnold or Blake Enever.

My issue is that currently Australian rugby has 3 foreign players starting at blindside flanker..
I agree regarding Pottgieter. In my opinion we'll lose the next player coming through if he stays.

I brought up O'Donaghue to show another "Rugby state" asking for a dispensation amid the shock that the Waratahs might do so only on the precedent of the Rebels and Force players.

I think the Brumbies had dispensation for R Murphy too after it was discovered he wasnt eligible for Aus yet, I think they still were allowed to get in another international no?

Status
Not open for further replies.