• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Dennis can pull it off, it can only be good for the Tahs.

With Gray and Holloway's form in the NRC pushing their claims for more gametime in 2015, we've got serious depth at 6 and 8 but are sorely lacking at lock with Douglas leaving.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Train Without A Station said:
Let's see how chuffed with yourself you are in 3 years time. Because that's how quickly you can end up down the wrong end of the ladder.

All too true, I wonder how Rod Kafer will describe that turn of events.

I hope your pessimism is unfounded TWAS, both in respect of any demise of the Tahs and also hoping that the current spate of team announcements is not the highpoint of the Reds 2015 season!

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If I was Michael Chieka, I would be bringing in a replacement and training them up this year to take over the reins after Chiek moves to St Leonards full time. I'm not too sure who we would take, but I guess as long as it's not Richard Graham I'll be okay with it.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
If I was Michael Chieka, I would be bringing in a replacement and training them up this year to take over the reins after Chiek moves to St Leonards full time. I'm not too sure who we would take, but I guess as long as it's not Richard Graham I'll be okay with it.

Why would Cheika make such an effort unless he was incentivised to do so?
He's not a shareholder of Waratah Rugby and he already has enough on his plate without adding succession planning with a newbie.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would Cheika make such an effort unless he was incentivised to do so?

He would do it because that's the kind of guy he is. Chiek, like us, wants to see the success of the Waratahs and Rugby in NSW and Australia as a whole.

To that end, he has said multiple times that Rugby isn't a job for him, it's a passion - he is already very wealthy from his fashion business, so it's never about the money for him.

An example to back up my claim: After the Tahs V Crusaders game in 2013 (you will recall it was an intensely physical game, going down to the wire and a missed kick at goal denied us the game - how ironic), the team got an afternoon flight back to Sydney, and after landing, Chiek hosted the entire team + families for a massive barbecue at his home. He paid for the food himself and cooked it all with the help of some of the players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the succession plan will be Daryl Gibson. It's always a risk giving someone their first head coaching gig but I think Gibson is ready for it.

The other alternative is to set it up for Nathan Grey (which I think would have been the plan pre-Wallabies). I guess there's the potential that Grey will just be the Wallabies defensive coach for 2015 and then head coach fo the Tahs in 2016.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
An example to back up my claim: After the Tahs V Crusaders game in 2013 (you will recall it was an intensely physical game, going down to the wire and a missed kick at goal denied us the game - how ironic), the team got an afternoon flight back to Sydney, and after landing, Chiek hosted the entire team + families for a massive barbecue at his home. He paid for the food himself and cooked it all with the help of some of the players.

Why wasn't I invited? Fuck me, after all the years of support, and I don't even get an invite to the team BBQ!

Typically incompetent Tahs management.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
He would do it because that's the kind of guy he is. Chiek, like us, wants to see the success of the Waratahs and Rugby in NSW and Australia as a whole.

To that end, he has said multiple times that Rugby isn't a job for him, it's a passion - he is already very wealthy from his fashion business, so it's never about the money for him.

All very nice and honourable but irrelevant to your suggestion on Cheika bringing in and developing a new person to follow him as coach.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And Peterson is off to the US of A. Well good luck to him - because what I saw at NRC level didn't impress me. Looks like a bloke who was bigger than all the other kids at school level and never had to work hard as a result.

According to his Tahs profile, his dream is to own a 69 Camaro. He'll have more luck with that over there. Goodbye.

Holloway now considered a lock replacement.

His dad is American and the kid may have been born there - USA test team?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Made his debut against Romania off the bench. No idea how he went, but the USA side missing their premiership players won reasonably comfortable, despite getting smashed at set piece time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All very nice and honourable but irrelevant to your suggestion on Cheika bringing in and developing a new person to follow him as coach.

Uh, he's been grooming either Gibson or Grey to follow him all year. So I don't think there is an issue with succession planning. You're right in that it isn't his job, but he's a NSW boy and will want to see things continue - that is evident enough in the culture changes he's been bringing in.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I've heard that Chieka still calls Leinster to make sure standards are in being upheld as he doesn't like places that his name is attached to going backwards. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same with the Tahs at the end of his tenure.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've heard that Chieka still calls Leinster to make sure standards are in being upheld as he doesn't like places that his name is attached to going backwards. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same with the Tahs at the end of his tenure.

I've met the man 2 or 3 times and have been very impressed. On one occasion my son's team played the u/9 curtain raiser in 2013, he sauntered over to where the kids were sitting behind the dead ball line and had a 5 or 10 minute chat with the kids about rugby. Something he didn't have to do - he could have stood in the middle of the ground with his arms folded. He strikes me as one of those rare individuals who have the ability to operate at all levels and make people feel that he actually cares and who can have fun with the players, but is still unquestionably the boss and never crosses the line in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.