• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't help but think that Ta'avao will finish up alongside Dud Root and Anesi in terms of foreign imports

I think we will see Taavao included in wider squads (cheika has already thrown a figure of like 50 to be involved in some way shape or form over time) Hopefully some specific attention from a scrum specific coach (ledesma) will get him up to scratch at least.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think we will see Taavao included in wider squads (cheika has already thrown a figure of like 50 to be involved in some way shape or form over time) Hopefully some specific attention from a scrum specific coach (ledesma) will get him up to scratch at least.

I certainly hope we don't. underperformance shouldn't be rewarded. If they think there is potential send Ladesma to see him and give him some training. If he can show improvement then he get get an extended squad call up. Lets not forget this bloke has close to 50 Super Caps to his name and is folding like a gift card, and the same can be said for Tilse and Ryan as well. Just nowhere near good enough to earn such a spot on actual results.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Roach starts he will bring a couple of strengths. He is a good thrower, and a very good scavenger (albeit at club level), plus he is very mobile.

Against thst he is a lot lighter than either TPN or Latu.

The forward tactics will have to be rejigged, maybe Palu to start to add some grunt, Holloway to lock and Mumm to be bench.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Are there any other hookers in the wider training squad? I don't think there are.

Who do you think the Tahs could bring in for the bench spot if Latu gets a few weeks off?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

He definitely won't be after those first two performances. Australian rugby can't reward mediocre performances.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Could Latu use a Sydney Uni trial (assuming there is one next weekend) for his suspension?

I assume Tom Robertson is injured? He started in SS last year ahead of Ryan at Syd Uni. Ryan went down to second grade I think, might have been because of injury. Robertson looked much better though.

Robertson and Robinson might strengthen the scrum a little.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
He definitely won't be after those first two performances. Australian rugby can't reward mediocre performances.

And yet it does reward mediocrity. Phipps, Palu, Robinson, Baxter, Foley, Dunning, Mumm, Beale, Skelton, Alexander. By that list I think Taavao is a good chance of making it.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Are there any other hookers in the wider training squad? I don't think there are.

Who do you think the Tahs could bring in for the bench spot if Latu gets a few weeks off?

Ryan Dalziel trained with the Tahs a couple of years ago (2014 preseason?) but then got badly injured in the NRC. Haven't seen much of him since.

Dave Porecki from Manly has also been in a preseason squad at some point I think.

David Vea from Randwick is 2014 Aus U20s hooker. The team that dominated in the scrum thanks to Ala'alatoa.

Then they could recall Luke Holmes from Warringah.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
And yet it does reward mediocrity. Phipps, Palu, Robinson, Baxter, Foley, Dunning, Mumm, Beale, Skelton, Alexander. By that list I think Taavao is a good chance of making it.

The Wallabies turned the corner since Chieka became head coach. Robinson found out the hard way. Mumm had quality performances at the RWC & the Rugby Championship as a lock/6 cover.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

I wouldn't call Phipps, Foley, or Beale's recent performances in gold 'mediocre'. And in fairness, Fat Cat was arguably our best prop at one point, but was never quite the same after his injury in 2011.

T

TOCC

Bloody well hope not, I would take the bench props at both the Reds and Brumbies before I take the starting Tahs props based on the first two rounds.

It will be a waste of Ledesma's time and energy if he is trying to bring Tilse and Ryan up to speed rather then trying to polish the performance of Holmes, Slipper, Smith and Sio.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bloody well hope not, I would take the bench props at both the Reds and Brumbies before I take the starting Tahs props based on the first two rounds.

It will be a waste of Ledesma's time and energy if he is trying to bring Tilse and Ryan up to speed rather then trying to polish the performance of Holmes, Slipper, Smith and Sio.

I think Ledesma is doing the rounds at all franchises, so he'll look at technique over each squad I guess. The Tahs would need triple sessions, I would think. ;)
I can't see how any of the Tahs props would be anywhere near a wider Wallaby squad currently, or even later on, unless a prop injury epidemic occurs. I shudder at that thought.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ryan Dalziel trained with the Tahs a couple of years ago (2014 preseason?) but then got badly injured in the NRC. Haven't seen much of him since.

Dave Porecki from Manly has also been in a preseason squad at some point I think.

David Vea from Randwick is 2014 Aus U20s hooker. The team that dominated in the scrum thanks to Ala'alatoa.

Then they could recall Luke Holmes from Warringah.

Porecki is overseas.
Dalziel is average at best.
Holmes looked good in the NRC. I'd have him on the bench in a proof of Bradbury's Law.
Coolican is rather average and wasn't even wanted by the US Eagles for RWC 15.
Did Vea play NRC? Next could possibly be Fainga'a from 2015 U20's but he struggles with his throwing (which seems to be a pre-requisite for NSW hookers).
Fairly slim pickings in NSW Club and NRC ranks, after those mentioned above.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Could Latu use a Sydney Uni trial (assuming there is one next weekend) for his suspension?

You'd assume so. Almost always byes count as one week in a suspension because you can generally find a club match that counts.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Depends if the ban (which it will surely be) is couched in terms of weeks or games. IIRC most recent judgements have been couched in terms of weeks rather than games, but the Judiciary have taken the number of games/byes into consideration when determining the number of weeks the suspension will be for.

Is Bradbury's law the one about being promoted to point of incompetency?
Bradbury's Law is how you get the Gold Medal when all other opponents crash out.

Promotion to the level point of incompetence is the Richard Graham Peter Principle.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
What has become of Jim Stewart?? I thought he was in the wings for a centre spot (certainly ahead of Horwitz). I can only assume he's injured?

I think skelton needs to be relegated to the bench to get some of his hunger back. he's playing a pretty lazy, uninspired game at the moment. Still have no idea why they persist with Paddy 'the human hinge' Ryan yet let Michael Ala'alatoa stroll off to the crusaders... Anybody want to enlighten me on that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.