• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am in the anyone but Tilse camp

If he hadn't produced an outstanding scrum in the last two minutes against the Stormers our season would be over.

Not saying he should be retained for next year but he's been pretty good for us this season.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Robinson will now move to LHP along Ryan. Kepu and Taavao will be the THP options. Important to note the Waratahs will have 4 hooking options next year pending the decision of TPN to stay or leave. (TPN, Latu, Roach, Fitzpatrick).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Wasn't there some talk of re-badging Tolu Latu as a LHP or was that just someone's wishful thinking, based on him playing there for a short period in the Shute Shield Finals last year.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Sorry, I did mean Robertson. Latu will be closely monitored by the Brumbies regarding there hooker situation. Fainga'a is only on the books til the end of 2017. Latu comes off contract at the end of 2018. Could see him move on if he is to be shifted to LHP.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Latu hadn't got injured he could easily still be ahead of Roach.

It's interesting how an injury can give someone a chance they otherwise wouldn't have had and change the pecking order.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If TPN goes offshore the Tahs are left with three hookers: Fitzpatrick, Latu and Roach. Every Super squad needs three hookers, the Tahs should start to develop the more promising hookers in Sydney for when one of those three leave or go down injured.

Sorry, I did mean Robertson.

I presumed you did but couldn't resist the temptation. Robertson's only 24 this year, he should be left to develop his craft at THP with a view to donning a gold jumper in the next five years. Tom's played extraordinarily well in his debut year, let's hope he gets better. Once he gets his medical studies out of the way he could prove to be something special.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ In the Next Gen of hookers off "The Pathway" for Tahs are David Vea (Aust U20) but he seems to have fallen out of favour at the Randi-Wix who are using a Pensioner as their first Grade hooker, and Folau Fainga'a (U20 2015).

After that we are looking at Schoolboy, Gen Blue and Woodies own Ed Craig, Gordon's and NH Ray's Wilkinson and U20 Gen Blue and Stars Moore from The Corporation. Outside of these folk, you are reaching down into the Class of 2015 or looking for a bolter from clubland.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau Fainga'a almost debuted when we had TPN and Latu out. They went with Hilterbrand instead.

He's definitely on their radar though.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unless they have a claim to being one of the best scrums in the country, I'm not sure it's entirely relevant.

I do remember their prop Jed Gillespie getting a contract with the Rebels but failing to get any game time. No other franchise has since picked him up and proven their decision to let him go a bad one yet.

I hope you watched today's Shute Shield match.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope you watched today's Shute Shield match.

The Uni scrum isn't what it used to be. Not so for a couple of seasons actually. I watched the Wicks get the upperhand on it earlier this season. Also, saw that same Wicks pack comfortably match and at time out scrum the Woodies pack. Also earlier this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Shute Shield seems to be a level where pot plant props are more beneficial than they are at Super Rugby level.

It seems the upside of having a really strong scrum at club rugby level against the downside of having a couple of players who don't add much around the park is a good trade off. Certainly the pace of the game means sides can get away with it to a greater degree.

At Super Rugby level the teams with average scrums seem to get found out less and the need to have everyone contributing around the field weighs more heavily.

At least that's my observation.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shute Shield seems to be a level where pot plant props are more beneficial than they are at Super Rugby level.

It seems the upside of having a really strong scrum at club rugby level against the downside of having a couple of players who don't add much around the park is a good trade off. Certainly the pace of the game means sides can get away with it to a greater degree.

At Super Rugby level the teams with average scrums seem to get found out less and the need to have everyone contributing around the field weighs more heavily.

At least that's my observation.

Without stats to support my observation I can only go on gut feel - that refs ping poorly performing scrums a lot in Super Rugby and teams work hard to get full arm penalties. Whereas in club rugby the refs are more inclined to let the game flow and ignore some scrum issues.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
^^^ In the Next Gen of hookers off "The Pathway" for Tahs are David Vea (Aust U20) but he seems to have fallen out of favour at the Randi-Wix who are using a Pensioner as their first Grade hooker, and Folau Fainga'a (U20 2015).

TPN has spent alot of time on the side line over recent years, what are his plans, is he eyeing off the next RWC? That last game against the Chiefs, he and the whole pack played well.

I wonder how Dave Porecki's schooling has gone in the Northern Hemisphere as well?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rumours are TPN is going overseas next year.

Tahs hlook pretty well stocked at hooker, and have apparently signed Damian Fitzpatrick as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.