• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The talk earlier this year was that Nathan Grey was to be groomed as the successor. But what would you prefer to be - assistant coach with the Wallabies, or head Super Rugby coach? Goes for Larkham and Foley also.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The talk earlier this year was that Nathan Grey was to be groomed as the successor. But what would you prefer to be - assistant coach with the Wallabies, or head Super Rugby coach? Goes for Larkham and Foley also.

history suggests the odds for becoming Wallabies' coach are much shorter for Soup coaches than for Wallabies' assistants.
doesn't it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
i didn't see a specified contract period for Grey at the Wallabies.

is there one?

I assumed Grey's appointment was just for the tour but I may be wrong.

My assumption was that TGC was taking his Tahs mucker on tour just so he had someone he has worked with before with him. It would do Grey no harm either.

I also assumed that Grey would not have the role for next year but that as part of succession planning at the Tahs he would get more and more responsibility in 2015 so the transition from Cheika to Grey would be smooth.

Already you could see this year that Grey took charge of many of the segments of sessions, and the increase in physicality of the Tahs for most games this year was in part due to the contact segments he conducted.

And, next year, when there are other Aussie Super Rugby games on in Oz, Cheika will have to be at the ground for many of them when the Tahs are playing on the same night; so he will need somebody of Grey's stature at Allianz.

I've said for months that Grey will be an outstanding head coach. Daryl Gibson looks like a decent coach but I don't regard him as highly as I do Grey.

Oops - but this is the 2016 thread and not the 2015 one?

Excuuuuse me.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
thanks, LG, for that excellent background and opinion.

your summation of where the Tahs and Grey are heading together seems right over the black dot.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I assumed Grey's appointment was just for the tour but I may be wrong.

My assumption was that TGC was taking his Tahs mucker on tour just so he had someone he has worked with before with him. It would do Grey no harm either.

I also assumed that Grey would not have the role for next year but that as part of succession planning at the Tahs he would get more and more responsibility in 2015 so the transition from Cheika to Grey would be smooth.

Already you could see this year that Grey took charge of many of the segments of sessions, and the increase in physicality of the Tahs for most games this year was in part due to the contact segments he conducted.

And, next year, when there are other Aussie Super Rugby games on in Oz, Cheika will have to be at the ground for many of them when the Tahs are playing on the same night; so he will need somebody of Grey's stature at Allianz.

I've said for months that Grey will be an outstanding head coach. Daryl Gibson looks like a decent coach but I don't regard him as highly as I do Grey.

Oops - but this is the 2016 thread and not the 2015 one?

Excuuuuse me.

Good points Lee. You think the Tahs would play without their head coach at the ground? That would be an unusual sight.

Interesting that you put the Tahs' physicality down to Grey's influence - I would have thought that was very much TGC's forte. Undoubtedly Grey's work in defence was the great undertold story of Tahs 2014.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It would be just as unusual for the Wallabies' head coach not to be at a Aussie derby match elsewhere if they were playing on the same night.

The Waratahs did contact sessions every single practice that I went to and Grey ran nearly all of them.

He had some great one-liners: most of them I have forgotten (like those I wanted to remember from the old Woody Allen movies but forgot as soon as I got out of the movie theatre) but one was "… if you take a guy out of a ruck and he gets back in, you haven't done your job…".

You couldn't say the increase in physicality was down to one guy but, as I indicated: it was in part due to those incessant contact sessions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It would be just as unusual for the Wallabies' head coach not to be at a Aussie derby match elsewhere if they were playing on the same night.

The Waratahs did contact sessions every single practice that I went to and Grey ran nearly all of them.

He had some great one-liners: most of them I have forgotten (like those I wanted to remember from the old Woody Allen movies but forgot as soon as I got out of the movie theatre) but one was "… if you take a guy out of a ruck and he gets back in, you haven't done your job…".

You couldn't say the increase in physicality was down to one guy but, as I indicated: it was in part due to those incessant contact sessions.

Now we just need some incessant kicking sessions and restart sessions to make it all work. If Cheika/Grey can do that then watch out RWC.

T

Train Without a Station

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lee a coach of mine down here is mates with Grey from Brisbane I believe. He's favorite lines was something like:

"If you go into a ruck, you're taking a bloke out"

and likening a home invasion to a ruck, saying "If I'm going to get into a fight, I wanna fight them in my front yard, not my lounge room."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Since we don't have a 2016 thread - Munster is very interested in Horne.

Oops - that's embarrassing since I already wrote in it, but I plead a senior moment.

The Waratahs have been fortunate in not losing too many good players for 2015 but I hope the chickens don't come home to roost in 2016.

With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) leaving at the end of the season we can ill-afford to lose Horne who, though playing well on the wing, should be his logical replacement because Carraro turns 32 next year. A smokey is Andrew Kellaway who played outside centre last year to effect for the NSW Under 20s sometimes, if I remember correctly, and has all the attributes of a 13 - and would be more elusive than Horne.

Kepu looks likely to go offshore after the RWC, and why shouldn't he? The Top14 sides will be crawling all over him now already. But if we recall how he was recruited from NZ in the first place it is worthwhile to try something as innovative while there is time.

I don't expect Sam Lousi to be an effective replacement for Kane Douglas this season and don't think the prospect for 2016 is much better. That is an unfair comment I know because he has to learn the sport on the job, but at the minute he seems to lack the dominating play that we get from Will Skelton, however flawed that sometimes is.

No doubt the Tahs are looking for 2016 already but there aren't a lot of good tall timber prospects in the state. Even in the medium term things look bleak because I can think of only one schoolboy who would be a possibility in a few years time.

Again, the "Kepu method" of recruitment may have to bear fruit.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee a coach of mine down here is mates with Grey from Brisbane I believe. He's favorite lines was something like:
"If you go into a ruck, you're taking a bloke out"​

and likening a home invasion to a ruck, saying "If I'm going to get into a fight, I wanna fight them in my front yard, not my lounge room."

He's got some goodies, that's for sure, but I can never remember them. The thing is they are pithy and easy to remember for the players.

Some of his comments to the young blokes from the Under 20s who mixed in with the Tahs in a hit-out recently were to the point but don't bear repeating in a family forum. However the youngsters got the message.

As I have mentioned before: I think that Grey will make an excellent head coach (of the Cheika type) should he not transfer to the Wallabies full-time, but I am warming to Gibson. His personality is entirely different from the other two, more of the Michael Foley type, but his rapport with the players is outstanding.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
LG what happened to Liam Windon from Uni after his accident in the 2013 SS final? He was on the Tahs radar and may have even played a game or two. Chieka also said in November that the Tahs were chasing Cameron Skelton hard but obviously nothing came of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.