• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I suspect Cheika has intimated to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that he wants him for the WC but needs to be playing Super Rugby to justify the selection.

God I hope not. I know Cheika has had some suspect calls in the past, but in what world would AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) provide more than our current crop of outside backs. The squad size isn't big enough to carry mentors.

I'd imagine AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is missing the beaches of Sydney and his old life, thought he might come back for a bit and give it a half hearted crack.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
God I hope not. I know Cheika has had some suspect calls in the past, but in what world would AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) provide more than our current crop of outside backs. The squad size isn't big enough to carry mentors.

I'd imagine AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is missing the beaches of Sydney and his old life, thought he might come back for a bit and give it a half hearted crack.
If he was even 2 years younger i'd take him over Hodge at 13 all day every day.

But he isn't, he's 35. Which is ancient in test Rugby.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If he was even 2 years younger i'd take him over Hodge at 13 all day every day.

But he isn't, he's 35. Which is ancient in test Rugby.

He's younger than George Smith, isn't he, and plays in a less damaging position? I'm not sure he should be written off without a look at him in Super Rugby first.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Now that the NRC is over for the NSW teams which players do you think warrant a contract from the NSW NRC teams??

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Now that the NRC is over for the NSW teams which players do you think warrant a contract from the NSW NRC teams??

I didn't watch the NRC but its semi-customary for the Tahs to give a contract in some way or another (either full or EPS) to the Shute Shield Rookie of the Year who was Will McDonnell. How did he go?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I really don't see a lot of positive signs for NSW from our NRC teams this year. There are 70 names listed under positive stats for the NRC, ie- top five for tackles made, defenders beaten, points scored, etc, NSW players are listed just twice. Personally, I think the NSW teams really picked the wrong Shute Shield players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Randomly some of the NSW players, whom I wasn’t overly familiar with, that caught my eye included Lachie Swinton, Will Harrison, Mahe Vailanu, Jaline Graham, Chris Talakai, Harry Burrey, Tyson Davis.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I really don't see a lot of positive signs for NSW from our NRC teams this year. There are 70 names listed under positive stats for the NRC, ie- top five for tackles made, defenders beaten, points scored, etc, NSW players are listed just twice. Personally, I think the NSW teams really picked the wrong Shute Shield players.

Seems to me that the NSW teams mostly used a lot of kids this year especially at the Rays. Giving them a taste against some super rugby players to see how they would handle it was what the NRC was meant to be about I thought. Gives the coaching staff a look at what they need and if they can stand up. The scores were very bad but hopefully some of the players may be worth a look.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Bl'adder, if what you are saying is on the mark, who should have been in the sides to make them more competitive? Watching the SS games on TV during the year, my impression is that those selected are generally the better performing players week in and week out.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Bl'adder, if what you are saying is on the mark, who should have been in the sides to make them more competitive? Watching the SS games on TV during the year, my impression is that those selected are generally the better performing players week in and week out.

And that is the scary thing. Too many of them weren't good enough especially in the forwards but that is the problem with the Tahs forwards mentality at the moment. The Rays forwards were steam rolled too many times.

The Rays had a massive injury toll and the distribution between the two sides of talent was shocking with most at the eagles funny thing is they also struggled.

Will Harrison struggled in his first game and I thought he was rushed too soon but at the end of the comp he started to really look better. Harry Burry looked pretty good too. A few individual players may be worth a look but the problem was too many looked out of their depth. The only positives I saw for this year was that some of these players were given a go to see if they were worth a punt.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where do you find those stats?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Be interested to know how many players don't have a contract. As there are plenty that either do have contracts and there are some moving on (Ryan, Figg).

Status
Not open for further replies.