• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd just play the normal number of reserves (16-23) not 13 blokes on the bench. Just pick a full time squad of 36-40 and then have your academy for under 20s, you don't need to bring in every Tom, Dick and Harry. This supplementary squad crap of blokes who aren't full time like BJ Edwards and Rory Suttor etc. just annoys me.
The 2 you named are in the 23.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Telegraph reporting that there is rumors around TPN returning this season to the Tahs. Not getting much/if any time at Leicester.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
It's essentially a trial game.
I’d like to see the main back up guys who are starting (Mason, Clark, J Folau, Swinton, McCauley, Roets etc.) play this game with only 8 on the bench (5 of those being forwards and 3 being backs) so that the game replicates Super Rugby and is not so much a trial.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
The 2 you named are in the 23.
There are 5 locks/loose forwards on the bench as opposed to the default 2 in a game of Super Rugby (numbers 19 & 20). There looks to be 5 reserve backs H Robertson, Donaldson, Porter, Graham and academy guy with Naiyaravoro-like surname as opposed to the default 3 of 21, 22 & 23.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I’d like to see the main back up guys who are starting (Mason, Clark, J Folau, Swinton, McCauley, Roets etc.) play this game with only 8 on the bench (5 of those being forwards and 3 being backs) so that the game replicates Super Rugby and is not so much a trial.

The brumbies did the same thing. It's designed to see what the depth has to offer. Also with the bye week a few players who are coming back from injury a chance to blow out the cobwebs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd just play the normal number of reserves (16-23) not 13 blokes on the bench. Just pick a full time squad of 36-40 and then have your academy for under 20s, you don't need to bring in every Tom, Dick and Harry. This supplementary squad crap of blokes who aren't full time like BJ Edwards and Rory Suttor etc. just annoys me.
I don’t why you’re annoyed at giving some guys a go in a trial game. Hasn’t a lot of criticism of our u20s and other pathway systems been that they essentially lead nowhere? On top of that there’re quite a few guys in that extended team list that left school in the last few years, playing alongside guys like Will Miller is a nice way to learn a few things.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There are 5 locks/loose forwards on the bench as opposed to the default 2 in a game of Super Rugby (numbers 19 & 20). There looks to be 5 reserve backs H Robertson, Donaldson, Porter, Graham and academy guy with Naiyaravoro-like surname as opposed to the default 3 of 21, 22 & 23.

Not sure the point your making. It's pretty clear they are going to give plenty of boys game time. Expect at 80 mins only 2 run on players left.

Good on the Tahs for having a look at available talent.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You'd be hopeful that one of these locks has a big game. I'd really like to see Jed at 8 with Dempsey at 6 and Hooper at 7, seems well balanced to me. Bring Hanigan off the bench, take Jed off and move Dempsey to 8.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sounds like Kepu in 2016. Considering the Latu debacle I reckon we'll happily take him. And it's great for the RWC, in spite of BR's opinion on the matter.

I think TPN is on his last legs, and isn't someone you can rely on anymore at super rugby level to provide the consistent work rate\dynamism required

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm interested to see whether they go with JP Sauni or Andrew Tuala to backup Fitzy now.

I think JP Sauni is really promising and is still only 21.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
what is? A hooker shortage leaving you with two untested rookies as back ups, one of which looked good in trials? Doesn't sound nice.

How would you suggest we improve our situation? Have three untested rookies or only one untested rookie as a backup?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having Tuala and Sauni as developing backups (both local product and foreign) to the classic journeyman Fitz, and the Wallaby Latu is a great position and should be a standard model. However, as in all positions, losing the top tier does throw the lowertiers into the deep end in which they will sink or swim.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
what is? A hooker shortage leaving you with two untested rookies at back ups one of which looked good in trials? Doesn't sound nice.

I don't see it as a "shortage", I see it as an opportunity

I would rather have two promising young hookers fighting for the 3rd choice spot than a journeyman with the experience clogging up the roster that deep in a squad

Status
Not open for further replies.