• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whilst the Tahs props might still be a little green in 2020, I think they have a great batch of promising young props coming through, I can see why they might have released someone like Vui to sign Bell.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kellaway
Nadolo
Mumm (arguably)
Elsom
Volavola
Skelton
Betham
Timani
Hegarty (although I in no way suggest the Reds are better).

This is a one minute thinking exercise, and some of these are borderline but I don't have a list of departing Tahs or Australian rugby players. This is also a general observation of all Australian sides not specifically the Tahs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wallaby-be...iNbl4iWF-n36IeosbaWauJ4oLl377X5_WWV3SVnoEl6Fg

With many of those listed it could be easily argued that there are mitigating circumstances. It is also worth noting 6/9 listed have been in multiple Australian professional setups (soon to be 7) which points to it being not specifically a tahs issues and more a pathway issue with Australian rugby.

Super Rugby opportunity is minimal and the NRC does not currently (but it could in the future) provide the opportunity of development for a young professional (Kellaway/Deegan are prime examples) that the Top 14, Premiership or even Mitre 10 does. This is based on time in professional environments, total matches played, game time offered and squad size.

I will make a point on Elsom. His stint at Lenister was twelve years ago and it ruined his career (back to back to back seasons and his body never recovered). Just because he played extremely well doesn't mean that his game was developed by them.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe right Silver, but can't help thinking he would have got time on the field had he stayed at the Tahs. Tahs squad looks to be comparatively light on for front rowers after the starting two.
You're probably right BR. With Kepu's departure he may of had a chance. Mind you, any other franchise would offer a front rower more opportunities than he'll get at the Brumbies

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno Silverado. As a young bloke he will be training with Ala'alatoa, Sio & Slipper. He might not get the same playing opportunities - but if he is good enough that is a golden opportunity for a young prop.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Weekly Scrummaging sessions against and alongside 3 of the best scrummagers in Australia, whether he gets much game time next year doesn’t matter, he will still learn a hell of a lot.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
How a winning team trains :p
He was learning from Kepu and didn't seem to pick much up. (He knows what it takes to be a winning Super Rugby player) Robertson is no slouch either. Vui was with us for 2 years and didn't show enough to be re-signed. Happens a lot in professional sport. I wish him luck, but I just think that as a THP who is only a few years younger than AAAAA he might be waiting years to get a starting spot at the Brums

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Didn’t he break his ankle in 2019 and miss the entire season?
No. He injured his Achilles in a trial in Feb and on his return in March/April was behind Kepu, Talakai and Cody Walker and played most of the year for Southern Districts in the Shute Shield

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
makes complete sense. Tahs need a 15 and the Rebels don't.

They should let him come home. It does make that Tah team much better balanced with him at fullback.

The article mentions RA trying to get a Wallaby U20 player to shift? Harrison, Donaldson and Nawaganitawase perhaps Dalton (he wasnt U20 though was he?). Why would an outside back want to move though, given the Rebels have a stacked squad there.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
makes complete sense. Tahs need a 15 and the Rebels don't.

They should let him come home. It does make that Tah team much better balanced with him at fullback.

The article mentions RA trying to get a Wallaby U20 player to shift? Harrison, Donaldson and Nawaganitawase perhaps Dalton (he wasnt U20 though was he?). Why would an outside back want to move though, given the Rebels have a stacked squad there.
Dalton will be under 20s this year. Of the others I think Harrison and Nawaganitawase are likely to get runs this year whereas Donaldson is on a development contract and might be interested in securing a full squad contract, so most likely. He'd be a good pickup for them if that's the case

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Donaldson was the one that stood out for me. Despite my strong support for Deegan, the 10 jersey isn't secured at the Rebels and you'd think Donaldson would be more chance of getting a run down there than at the Tahs?