• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Going to wing it - get some hopes, dreams and x factor in there.

1. Robertson 2. Fitz 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Simmons 5. Skelton
6. Dempsey 8. Holloway 7. Hoops
9. Gordon 10. Beale 11. Lisala 12. Hunt 13. Moeroa 14. Nawaqanitawase15. Maddocks

16. Abel 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Hanigan 20. Swinton 21. Short 22. Harrison 23. Clark

I would have Hunt in a "Conrad Smith" role at 13 ensuring some space and play make in the wide channels.

Moeroa has player "12" in the NRL a lot, he can make metres and pop passes.

Apart from hooker the bench starts to look very solid

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To be fair, how much Super Rugby is Maddocks going to play this year if he's with the Sevens squad?

I think that may have been a ploy to get the transfer (high cynic mode)

Less important to the Rebs if he was going to be not there for a chunk of the season

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that may have been a ploy to get the transfer (high cynic mode)

Less important to the Rebs if he was going to be not there for a chunk of the season

I get the impression that Maddox's is sincere about his Olympic 7's ambitions, though in the few comments from Penny there wasn't a clear endorsement of accommodations being made and the timing right at the pointy end of the season might be problematic.

I'm not sure the shared duties worked particularly well for Wells when he was involved in both setups. Time will tell I guess.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any reasoning behind HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) playing TH and Robertson at LH instead of the other way around?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Any reasoning behind HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) playing TH and Robertson at LH instead of the other way around?
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) played Oz Schools and under 20s at THP then switched to LHP in Super Rugby because there was a vacancy at LHP. Robbo has filled the job well in the past but I suppose it came down to size and who the coaches thought was the best fit after preseason scrums

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I get the impression that Maddox's is sincere about his Olympic 7's ambitions, though in the few comments from Penny there wasn't a clear endorsement of accommodations being made and the timing right at the pointy end of the season might be problematic.

I'm not sure the shared duties worked particularly well for Wells when he was involved in both setups. Time will tell I guess.

As I said, me a cynic, if he is doing well starting at 15 and the Tahs aren't total pants the motivation for 7s may waine

But if he is benched or stuck on the wing in a struggling Tahs side other options start to look magical

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Michael Hooper has decided not to captain the Waratahs this season.

Rob Simmons set to be announced as captain with Kurtley Beale the VC.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...6cnF2bi5wYnoubmgmZ3Z6cmZnbnpjPTE1Nzk2NDM5MDc=
I wasn’t expecting it - but I can see logic. He has been captain for both the Wallabies & Tahs over such a turbulent period. On top of the physical toll of the way he plays, i can see a lot of appeal in him deciding that he just wants to play.

I could also see if we quite feasible that he wants to let someone else captain the Tahs so as to refresh himself a bit, but still captain the Wallabies. I guess we’ll see how that rolls out in time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would be surprised if he said he didn't want to captain the Wallabies anymore. I agree with TSR that it makes sense for Hooper not to do both. It's a substantial extra workload.

He'll still clearly be a leader for the Tahs but just doesn't have all the official duties of being captain.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wasn’t expecting it - but I can see logic. He has been captain for both the Wallabies & Tahs over such a turbulent period. On top of the physical toll of the way he plays, i can see a lot of appeal in him deciding that he just wants to play.

I could also see if we quite feasible that he wants to let someone else captain the Tahs so as to refresh himself a bit, but still captain the Wallabies. I guess we’ll see how that rolls out in time.

McCaw did the same thing (I think)

With a couple of better 7s in the squad he may even be given a lighter load as well

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
One of the rugby podcasts predicted this a couple weeks ago, saying they wouldn't be surprised if Fitzpatrick was named captain to let Hooper focus on his rugby.
I think it's a good decision, he's carrying the team as it is. Maybe even extend it to the Wallabies; new coach, new era, new captain.