• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I feel hypocritical because I've said I hate vulturing the Rebels before any calls have been made but I'm sure there's a list of who'd they want. I think Wilkin and Leota would be great pickups for everyone even though not required by some. Canham probably the most wanted IMO. Then I reckon Lancaster would have plenty of offers coming his way.
Surely Canham is going to get paid a billion dollars to go stand in an empty stadium in Japan's 3rd league for the Slippery Pikachu Geysers.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely Canham is going to get paid a billion dollars to go stand in an empty stadium in Japan's 3rd league for the Slippery Pikachu Geysers.
I think the big thing for Canham is probably what happens with wallaby caps this year. If he does get the call up it'll probably make him think twice about leaving for money alone, along with changing the proposition for foreign clubs interested in him. If he misses out he'll probably be on the next plane out though.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel hypocritical because I've said I hate vulturing the Rebels before any calls have been made but I'm sure there's a list of who'd they want. I think Wilkin and Leota would be great pickups for everyone even though not required by some. Canham probably the most wanted IMO. Then I reckon Lancaster would have plenty of offers coming his way.
Cherry pick all the Vic talent but punt the Rebels typical. If I were in their shoes as a Victorian I’d go overseas and turn my back on the Wallabies

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Cherry pick all the Vic talent but punt the Rebels typical. If I were in their shoes as a Victorian I’d go overseas and turn my back on the Wallabies
It's possible to be upset that the Rebels are gone without taking every discussion of pragmatic player movements personally.

There's no opportunity for another chance at a Melbourne team if Victorian talent isn't given some sort of professional/Wallaby opportunity.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thats rough. Ned has been playing well though injury prone.
Feel like a majority of the injuries came in the early part of his career. Seems to be pretty common when these guys are thrown in when not in their primes. Had some concussion issues from memory which slow things down.

It's a shame as he's 29 and right in the middle of what could be his best physical prime and players tend to be confident in their skills. Probably his prime earning potential as well before you get on the scary side of age for an athlete.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Do we know the contract status of Hugh Sinclair for next year? The Tahs could do plenty worse that running him around again.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where''d you get that from?

reading the tea leaves perhaps?

the other super rugby franchises aren’t having max departures (including the rebels)

if you connect the dots - a conclusion one could make is Waratahs are in line to get the spoils of the defunct rebels

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
reading the tea leaves perhaps?

the other super rugby franchises aren’t having max departures (including the rebels)

if you connect the dots - a conclusion one could make is Waratahs are in line to get the spoils of the defunct rebels
with the same bosses too

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Where''d you get that from?

No inside word. Just much of the Tahs current contracting situation (early releases, non-contracting of "senior" fly half options, losing two senior players in the same position) just doesn't make sense without it: there's not a golden generation of 20s/clubbies or swarm of returning overseas players to step up into positions becoming vacant.

By contrast, if the Tahs are picking up C Gordon, two of Leota/Canham/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), maybe a Daugunu depending on what the plan is with Sua'ali'i, a couple of front rowers to top up the pack, then most of those on paper issues fade away and the question is coaching, mentality, and cohesion, rather than "who is actually going to play?"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems like a very difficult spot for all parties.

Waratahs clearly don't have control over exactly who they contract going forward, a bunch of players from the Rebels with contracts that run into 2025 but may not have a team and uncertainty for Rugby Australia about whether the Rebels will exist next year.

In that landscape I imagine any offers being made to off contract players are very low or non-existent at this point and players just aren't in a position to be able to wait and potentially be left without a good alternative if the situation locally doesn't improve.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
My biggest concern about the Waratahs heading into offseason is this fake salary cap - super rugby sides are suppose to work on.

rough mathematics
JS 1.6m
Kellaway 500k
Jorgenson 500k

that’s 2.6M towards 3x players that potentially want to play the same position #15.

unsure what the salary cap is but the Tahs do have a shitty front office with those 3 signings. It’s fantasy football stuff where you just load up with 3 “faces of the game” and worry about plugging the other positions at a later date.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My biggest concern about the Waratahs heading into offseason is this fake salary cap - super rugby sides are suppose to work on.

rough mathematics
JS 1.6m
Kellaway 500k
Jorgenson 500k

that’s 2.6M towards 3x players that potentially want to play the same position #15.

unsure what the salary cap is but the Tahs do have a shitty front office with those 3 signings. It’s fantasy football stuff where you just load up with 3 “faces of the game” and worry about plugging the other positions at a later date.

Well, realistically the Tahs had very little to do with signing Sua'ali'i and likely Kellaway (not that they would say no to either player).

With all fit they're likely to play 13,14 and 15.

It's also not $2.6m of Super Rugby salary cap towards those players. The bulk of it is Rugby Australia money (as is the case with all the highest paid players in the country).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

rough mathematics
JS 1.6m
Kellaway 500k
Jorgenson 500k

Almost none of those costs end up on the Tahs salary cap. They sit with RA and "wealthy benefactors" outside of the cap

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Almost none of those costs end up on the Tahs salary cap. They sit with RA and "wealthy benefactors" outside of the cap
As a complete guessing fella, I wud say RA know the rebels are gone, will ship half their players to Sydney, including their coach and most of his coaching group over to tah land.

Wilkin is from Sydney uni, Cabous played for Randwick, Uelese played for Gordon, Canham i think was at Eastwood, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) Randwick, Maciu played for Manly, Gibbon Souths, Leota at Easts, Pone played for norths a few years ago and eastwood this year, talakai uni, kellaway, lancaster, pincus, anderson are all sydney boys in general and all played shute, jooste played at easts, louwrens played at hunter - Id say it would be easy, for most of those guys to come straight back to sydney if they are contracted or cheap contract options, all of a sudden tahs will have a capable squad and depth, and no offence to DC, Pauli and the other tahs coaches, they have all flopped so can move on.

RA will pick up most of the cost.

its the only reason i can think of for all the players leaving, no coaching announcement for DC and RA continually saying rebels arent included in 2025 plans.

Could be totally wrong, but thats the feeling i get and i think others too.

I just cant imagine cheika coming back to tahs, with RA being his boss again