• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Tazzmania

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Amazingly on Thursday Hoiles resigned from Randwick coaching gig ........

EXCLUSIVE: Randwick coach Stephen Hoiles to stand down at season's end, in no rush for Waratahs job

Read More

Agent

Watty Friend (18)
At least they've now "officially" commenced the search for a new head coach. Will wonder if they get past the Daceyville carpark.

I think the Tahs really should go after Cheika (beg and plead!) He is obviously a quality coach, who can build a team culture, and develop a team. He is Sydney based and has an excellent understanding of how NSW rugby ticks. It is only a matter of time until he jets off the another gig somewhere around the world so why not keep home on home base!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Genuine question, are the Tahs waiting to pick over the bones of Rebels, player and coaches etc? I am gobsmacked how poorly they gone the last few years. Crusaders have been poor this year, but would expect them to rebound somehwat better than Tahs have. Not living there anymore it's hard to get any feeling of what the problem or answer is.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Amazingly on Thursday Hoiles resigned from Randwick coaching gig ........

EXCLUSIVE: Randwick coach Stephen Hoiles to stand down at season's end, in no rush for Waratahs job

Read More
Randwick lose a few. I’m out.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him take and assistant job somewhere. I don’t dislike him as a coach, indifferent at this point of his career.

I hope all the Tahs assistants are gone as well. An experienced coach if they can get one will hopefully come with some team or targets.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Randwick lose a few. I’m out.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him take and assistant job somewhere. I don’t dislike him as a coach, indifferent at this point of his career.

I hope all the Tahs assistants are gone as well. An experienced coach if they can get one will hopefully come with some team or targets.
Agree re the assistants and hopefully they look further than the eastern suburbs to replace the coach and support staff,Hoiles or Cheika are not the answer,it just continues the culture

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Right now I’d take Cheika as a culture shock and have a plan for 2 years away wether that be someone like Peter Hewat.

I really hope we don’t just get the guy in the chair next to DC. Nothing against Gilmore but he’s part of this stink.

I’m sure Nathan Greys name will get thrown out there.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Right now I’d take Cheika as a culture shock and have a plan for 2 years away wether that be someone like Peter Hewat.

I really hope we don’t just get the guy in the chair next to DC. Nothing against Gilmore but he’s part of this stink.

I’m sure Nathan Greys name will get thrown out there.
Brad Thorn?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The head coach is definitely not the biggest problem the Waratahs have. Yes, DC had to go after this season, but I hope this review and changes go much deeper than head coach and assistants.

pnut

Ted Thorn (20)
So DC buys a roster at rats they win. Buys a roster at Gordon wins same at LA. In club spent well overs compared to opponents. Goes to Tahs can’t replicate same model what a surprise .

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
So DC buys a roster at rats they win. Buys a roster at Gordon wins same at LA. In club spent well overs compared to opponents. Goes to Tahs can’t replicate same model what a surprise .
Everybody knows it..but Paul Doorn walked straight in and bought the myth..he's got to go to

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
There was some rubbish propaganda being perpetuated that the coach of the Waratahs needed to have a connection to the Shute Shield to really understand NSW rugby.

Turns out the coach really needs experience in professional high performance environments and not a semi amateur one.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

That was the commentary I was given yesterday about DC. My perception of him was different, but I'm not close to the situation like the people I was talking to.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thorn seems more suited to a director of rugby typed role. Great bloke to have around just not as your head coach.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I kind of agree with @The Ghost of Raelene , I think someone should have a word to Cheika.
But as @Rob42 also says, head coach certainly doesn't appear to be main problem from a distance anyway. I actually wonder if some good coaches maybe a bit hesitant to take job with the history of club and apparent disconnect between board and team?

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Brad Thorn?
He wouldn't be the worst candidate out there but I'd pass on HC but love to see him as a Forwards coach if he wanted it. Doubt he'd want it for some reason. I'd love Thorn to be involved in the U20s, 18s along with people like Fisher. Setting standards and teaching fundementals.

I kind of agree with @The Ghost of Raelene , I think someone should have a word to Cheika.
But as @Rob42 also says, head coach certainly doesn't appear to be main problem from a distance anyway. I actually wonder if some good coaches maybe a bit hesitant to take job with the history of club and apparent disconnect between board and team?
I think any good coach right now would be rightfully concerned about the disconnect. I think Cheika can be a guy who is bigger than that to get the ball rolling. If they could get the house together over a couple of years with the intent to then bring in another coach it could work. Is Chieka too big for a transition?? He'd have to be involved in it to not trash it I feel.

There was some rubbish propaganda being perpetuated that the coach of the Waratahs needed to have a connection to the Shute Shield to really understand NSW rugby.

Turns out the coach really needs experience in professional high performance environments and not a semi amateur one.
Cheika came out of that world initially but yes I agree this organisation needs someone who has run a pro side before. I don't think its the place right now for the likes of Hoiles, Mowen, Gilmore.

When you consider budget we are very likely to have the names like Tim Sampson get pushed quite hard.