• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs - post-season think

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Scaraby,

Just as a matter of interest, how does a franchise "lock a player up for life". Beale obviously wanted to move away from Sydney for personal reasons. Good luck to him, and good luck to the Rebels.

That said, the Tahs desperately need another drawcard.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
obviously?..sorry don't know him that well..you may be right. Sometimes you have to move in work to get someone to appreciate you. Did the Tahs really not have a chance to keep him?....if we front up with the right conditions will he come back? Very sad if Tahs cannot match Rebels after losing the players we have..Brumbies get Pocock,Reds keep Genia,Quaide...Rebels get Beale, Higg,JOC (James O'Connor)?? Tahs???

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
obviously?..sorry don't know him that well..you may be right. Sometimes you have to move in work to get someone to appreciate you. Did the Tahs really not have a chance to keep him?..if we front up with the right conditions will he come back? Very sad if Tahs cannot match Rebels after losing the players we have..Brumbies get Pocock,Reds keep Genia,Quaide.Rebels get Beale, Higg,JOC (James O'Connor)?? Tahs???
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Mitchell Barnes Timani Hooper plus Elsom and Vickerman...not that anyone wanted them

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Scaraby,

Reading between the lines, I am pretty sure that Beale wanted to escape his wider family and the associated obligations.

The majority of Australia's rugby players start their careers in or near Sydney. That should translate into a pretty good squad.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
these bizarre symptoms are more likely to come from some de facto committee - made up of board members, CEO, coaches - and god knows who else - sticking fingers in pies.

Immediatly thought of that saying "a Camel is a Horse designed by committee".

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Heard their is talk of a "director of rugby" being the major offseason change, a position that has been discussed with an internationally experienced coach that may or may not be in continued discussions causing him to not sign somewhere else...........maybe.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Heard their is talk of a "director of rugby" being the major offseason change, a position that has been discussed with an internationally experienced coach that may or may not be in continued discussions causing him to not sign somewhere else.....maybe.

De Villiers? That man has moxie! And I can see the benefits of the Tahs being able to out-saffer the Brumbies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
....snip....

I can't help feel though that leadership clusterfucks like the one described above don't all come down to one man and that these bizarre symptoms are more likely to come from some de facto committee - made up of board members, CEO, coaches - and god knows who else - sticking fingers in pies.

2 points.
1. There are no pies left anywhere in Tahland. Grumbles has scoffed the lot.
2. Any person sticking their fingers in any pies in Tahland risks losing said fingers to a munching Grumbles.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Heard their is talk of a "director of rugby" being the major offseason change, a position that has been discussed with an internationally experienced coach that may or may not be in continued discussions causing him to not sign somewhere else.....maybe.

Taking a stab that Cheika's history and connections to Sydney are a lot more alluring that a gig out in Perth. He is a control freak though, and he will not want to be saddled with a coach not of his choosing who drew anemic performances and dreadful results from a decent squad.

As for a new Director of Rugby, it just shifts accountability and responsibility and will be another excuse to be used if Foley is retained.

Give Cheika (or another proven, well-credentialed coach, DOR) the reins. Let him bring in his own staff and set up his structures, and make the personnel decisions. Cheika, Eddie O'Sullivan, Mallet etc.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The season was a debacle from the outset. The performance in the first round against Queensland (and every subsequent round) proved it.

Many of the players who have been so poor throughout the Super season have looked better under Robbie Deans with the Wallabies. Robbie Deans FFS! For me, that is the biggest indictment of both the players and the coaches at the Waratahs. Pathetic.

What to do?

Piss off the coaches

Piss off any player not sufficiently committed/skilled/burning to succeed

Get in an experienced (tough) coach and give him what he wants then back the fuck off (that's you board members)

The playing roster is pretty good already, especially with the addition of Hooper, but a new coach should be given a chance to weed out players that don't suit him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Taking a stab that Cheika's history and connections to Sydney are a lot more alluring that a gig out in Perth. He is a control freak though, and he will not want to be saddled with a coach not of his choosing who drew anemic performances and dreadful results from a decent squad.

As for a new Director of Rugby, it just shifts accountability and responsibility and will be another excuse to be used if Foley is retained.

Give Cheika (or another proven, well-credentialed coach, DOR) the reins. Let him bring in his own staff and set up his structures, and make the personnel decisions. Cheika, Eddie O'Sullivan, Mallet etc.

You need to have a look at Chieka's history with the NSWRU before you make that statement. There is some fairly well known bad blood there. I would expect the only jobs Chieka would take in Oz would be the Rebels or Force given that White is at the Brumbies and I am stilling reeling that Graham was signed for the Reds. I would believe what Aunty Julia tells me in an interview before I believe that he is even considering a job at the Tahs without a total board cleanout.

J

Jiggles

What's the bad blood all about Gnostic? I only really started to follow him when he moved to Leinster. with his record in Europe he is clearly good enough to coach S15. I would've thought any Australian team would be trying everything to sign him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Started when Chieka played 8 at the Wicks and developed from there. It was no secret that Chieka wanted to be a coach and was very successful as Randwick coach but still couldn't progress. So lets just say that the perception that Uni now enjoys as having too much representation and hence there being a push against that club was evident against the Wicks. Remember that from the late 80s the Wicks supplied a very large number of the Tahs sides, including from the front, Kearns, Mackenzie, Warwick Waugh, Poidevin, Gregan, Knox, Peter Jorgenson, Campese and a few others. They supplied quite a few coaches to the national and state sides. In short say the word politics and you will sum up the issues.

Chieka's step up from Club coaching was given a boost by Campo who I am told gave him a hand getting the spot with Padova. He moved from there to Ireland and the rest is history. As with Campo I don't think he is a hurry to come back to NSW with the same politics still in place.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Cheika was an animal. He would not last in today's game, with video replays and assistant referees.

W

What2040

What's the bad blood all about Gnostic? I only really started to follow him when he moved to Leinster. with his record in Europe he is clearly good enough to coach S15. I would've thought any Australian team would be trying everything to sign him.

Jiggles

Reckon the Reds are not interested

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika was an animal. He would not last in today's game, with video replays and assistant referees.

You could say the same about a lot of players considered "hard men" in their time and I don't recall he had that bad a reputation, certainly nothing to campare with say Brial at the say time and place.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Gnostic - from what I have heard, Cheika and the Tahs have talked, he made a list of several criteria that needed to be met and it ended with that. Then as he formed as force coach the Tahs have again made contact with him.

I was aware of the bad blood also, thought no chance, but I know it has definitely been discussed.

Waratahs ltd may be on its last legs as it currently exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.