• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, round 6, Sunday 22 March

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

I thought Carraro was outstanding.

Highlights an issue in Australian rugby of discarding the "journeymen" type rugby players who are tough and battle hardened. Carraro is a full-developed man who understand his game inside-out (both strengths & limitations). Blokes like he should be keeping out blokes like Sautia at the Reds and making them hone their games in practice and club rugby. Instead we throw in the "prodogies" and hope for them to learn on the spot. In players like QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) it has worked very well, but not without hiccups. We can't expect all schoolboy stars to make the same progression with limited background.

Carraro could even be a Wallaby bolter.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Another thing to note from crowd comments. Brumbies have played well so far, but they have only beaten Aussie teams that are coming 10th, 13th and 14th, including two gimmes v Reds. As soon as they encounter decent opposition they've lost.

I still think they'll be there come finals, but it's food for thought.

The Waratahs lost to the Force and the Highlanders.

The Brumbies beat the force in their game, and were 1 minute off beating the Chiefs.

I must've forgotten just how amazing the world beating, Australian Rugby saving Waratahs are. Fuck me dead.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
However the initial comments to the ref were made during the game, and were caught on camera. Are you saying he shouldn't answer questions when asked by a journalist?

It was speaking to Journalists that tarnished rugby's reputation last year.

WE NEED RUGS PEOPLE. WE NEED BROOMS. HAVEN'T WE LEARNT.

El

Bob McCowan (2)
Be good if you let us know at which stadium your playing at next or on what channel I can catch your performances so that I can form my opinion of your character
Come to think of it no need between you and the normally crude language of your authority on all things rugby I have formed my opinion
Great work mods
Last paragraph is a bit too dense for little me to make sense of. You didn't see him make the TMO sign?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What's all this then? We can have a witch hunt here right?
I think it was about the 76th minute it looked like Skelton was attempting to fist someone..... or maybe it was just a swinging arm?:)

It was a terrible cheap shot and he hit the deck and seemed to have hurt his wrist too.

Lucky for Will he did not make contact with the head like he attempted to.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Another thing to note from crowd comments. Brumbies have played well so far, but they have only beaten Aussie teams that are coming 10th, 13th and 14th, including two gimmes v Reds. As soon as they encounter decent opposition they've lost.

I still think they'll be there come finals, but it's food for thought.
that is the joy of the conference system, the 5th worst team in the comp can be assured of a finals spot depending on the other teams in their conference

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought it had to be a certain try opportunity, not just an opportunity. I think from memory the ref said their was cover defence on the way so this was why it was not a penalty try

I think you'll find (or Joubert would if he had looked at this aspect) the cover was behind the try line so they had a sh*tload of ground to make up to stop it.
The reason Fardy deserved his YC is that he made a choice: he either knew or should have known he was no chance to catch that ball as it was at the very limit of his reach just using one arm.
If you don't YC those type there aren't too many knockdowns that will pass the deliberate test.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think you'll find (or Joubert would if he had looked at this aspect) the cover was behind the try line so they had a sh*tload of ground to make up to stop it.
The reason Fardy deserved his YC is that he made a choice: he either knew or should have known he was no chance to catch that ball as it was at the very limit of his reach just using one arm.
If you don't YC those type there aren't too many knockdowns that will pass the deliberate test.
I realise the cover would not have got there, but Joubert must have as he said this was his reason for not giving a try.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought it had to be a certain try opportunity, not just an opportunity. I think from memory the ref said their was cover defence on the way so this was why it was not a penalty try

yep, there was cover and it was only Palu (?) a few metres out for the cover to tackle

On the "catch" we all know the rules, tap down and don't catch the ball; and the ref deems it negative play, penalty.

Tap up and don't catch the ball; and the ref says unlucky, good effort knock on.

Now add to that being 5 meteres out on defense, with some cover racing across to stop a near certian try and it gets called cynical as well

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Really great game, one of the best this year, Tahs finally finding some of last years form, however the only thing anyone wants to talk about is Fardy's YC and the alleged homophobic slur (yes, alleged, even Pocock said he didn't actually hear it).

Seems David Pocock wants to be the Bono of rugby!

On the YC, I recall Beale being yellowed for an almost identical offense last year, can't recall who the ref was.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The intended recipient could've dropped the ball so no penalty try. Pfitzy was calling for a pt, but it didn't pass the "probably" test for me, otherwise YC every time. I was one of those Tahs supporters screaming blue murder when Fardy was immediately sanctioned. BUT, I do agree the use of the TMO/big screen replay could be done much better. It seems the home team has a significant advantage here.

Cracking game of rugby. Glimpses of Cheika's physical continuity are starting to reappear. By any reasonable judgement Hooper won the battle of the back rows, the Tahs tight five did what they had to do (Fat Cat pulled out a big one), Phipps played well, Foley and Beale led the backs around the park efficiently. To my experienced eye Folau looks like he's enjoying his footy very much this year. On another note, how good's Carraro been the last few games? Bursts his boiler backing up and does the simple things well. Take a bow, Matt.

Cloud cover kept the afternoon sunshine off the western side, ShtinaTina, Pfitzy and I didn't get burnt to a crisp.

Savoured the brews at the Keg & Brew pre and post match, didja know there're 33 beers on tap at the K&B? :eek:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Really great game, one of the best this year, Tahs finally finding some of last years form, however the only thing anyone wants to talk about is Fardy's YC and the alleged homophobic slur (yes, alleged, even Pocock said he didn't actually hear it).

Seems David Pocock wants to be the Bono of rugby!

On the YC, I recall Beale being yellowed for an almost identical offense last year, can't recall who the ref was.

I think we have found Pocock's new knick name "Bono", well done :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The problem is his increasing penchant for delivering messages is overwhelming the reason he is paid by the ARU.
The repeated questioning of Joubert and complaining should have led to a penalty to the Tahs - no doubt the sensitivity of the complaint meant that Joubert stayed his hand.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have no problem with Pocock bringing it up - we wouldn't stand for anything racist either, and the best way to compile evidence is to notify the ref when it happened. More chance of identifying the time, place, and culprit.

What's all this then? We can have a witch hunt here right?

Usually we have a witch hunt in a separate thread. Makes it easier for the mods to identify poor material.

Kicking the ball hoping for the opposition to make a mistake in their own territory doesn't work against a side which holds the ball and attacks when in possession rather than kicking back. Hence the possession stats for the first half, at least. Tahs had three times the possession that the Brumbies enjoyed.

I found that interesting too - first kick from inside our 22 I thought Foley had shanked. Second one too. Then it became a theme - kick towards space or a wing, and then let them decide to take on our defence or kick it back to us in broken play.

Status
Not open for further replies.