• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Bulls, Round 12, 14 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Just home from the game. The Beale injury was just about the wierdest injury that I've ever seen on a rugby field. Not quite sure what he was attempting to do, but whatever it was he mucked it up badly.

Sounds like a season ending injury which is unfortunate for the Waratahs and the Wallabies. Wish him a speedy recovery. He's just signed a deal which could set him up for life - hope he's able to fulfil it.

He didn't muck it up. The patella went as he was launching. His leg then collapsed because of the injury. I doubt even a keyboard warrior could get into the air without a patella tendon, which is the main structural ligament of the leg.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Straus in my view should have been yellow carded (and IMO a cogent argument can be made for Red) for fending with the forearm and contacting Hooper with it above the shoulder. It is dangerous in the extreme and reckless.

@ Lindomer - the starting front row wasn't replaced even though they were getting dished up simply because I doubt anybody would have much faith in the reserves being able to hold better than a totally stuffed starting front three. If Robertson hadn't come along and displaced Taavao (perhaps the worst signing since Tahu and Blacklock in terms of performance at core duties) then I would think the Tahs wouldn't be fighting for their conference win.

For mine the Tahs have improved greatly from where they were 6 weeks ago, still no where near the standard of the Kiwi sides, but moving in the right trajectory.

The Strauss incident was very odd. Not only did it appear to be a forearm jolt in real time at the ground, but play was held up for another reason for a couple of minutes. It was replayed on the screen a few times and apparently Jackson (who had a reasonably good game) nor the TMO saw it as being in breach of the laws.

Taavao and Guildford are in the grand final for the worst Waratah signings since 1874. Gibson will need to improve on the area of signings if he wants to last as a head coach at any professional outfit. He also needs to look at who he appoints as scrum coach.

The direction of the general play is good, and I think that the style Gibson is trying to play is the right one. Not sure that the players as yet, have the skill level to carry it out as the top 4 kiwi sides can week after week.

Still at least we're up there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He didn't muck it up. The patella went as he was launching. His leg then collapsed because of the injury. I doubt even a keyboard warrior could get into the air without a patella tendon.

Or maybe it was clumsiness in the launching?;)

EDIT: You seem, for some unknown reason, to have taken my post for some sort of attack on Beale. At the game it looked clumsy, which if you care to read my post was what I said. Presumably you don't think it looks clumsy. But of course, you've had the opportunity to speak to the player and have had the opportunity to fix the exact moment in time that the tendon was torn. Then of course you were also present, or perhaps even performing the examination.:rolleyes:

Interesting that a fellow keyboard warrior seems to use that term as one of abuse.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Tahs were outstanding in the second half I thought. Izzy, Phipps, Denno and Hooper all got stronger as the game went on and the win was well earned. The line out seems to be functioning a lot better now and that's something that was killing the Tahs earlier in the season. The next couple of weeks are tough though and they'll do well to get anything out of those games.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
@ Lindomer - the starting front row wasn't replaced even though they were getting dished up simply because I doubt anybody would have much faith in the reserves being able to hold better than a totally stuffed starting front three.

Tell that to the Stormers.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He didn't muck it up. The patella went as he was launching. His leg then collapsed because of the injury. I doubt even a keyboard warrior could get into the air without a patella tendon, which is the main structural ligament of the leg.

Certainly makes it hard to activate your quads!!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am an addict. May the fat one get off his arse (or onto it as the case may be) and write the next book FFS.:)
His concept of numbers both in the books and real life is farked.

The wall is of a ridiculous height, the armies are enormous beyond belief, he made many characters too young and he said ADWD would be done within a year of AFFC.

Other than that he's an endearing fellow in most of what he does.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Taavao and Guildford are in the grand final for the worst Waratah signings since 1874. Gibson will need to improve on the area of signings if he wants to last as a head coach at any professional outfit. He also needs to look at who he appoints as scrum coach.

Ta'avao sure. They signed him to be the starting THP and he hasn't been up to that. We're lucky that Tom Robertson has emerged to do a great job. Ta'avao is now going alright off the bench.

Why is Guidlford a bad signing? They paid a low salary fro him because he was after any opportunity. He played a couple of good games at the start of the season and then a couple of average ones and then got injured. Good form of other players has kept him out of the side.

If he'd been recruited on big dollars then sure, he'd be a poor signing but that isn't the caset. He's more capable of slotting into the matchday side than most of the guys on a similar level contract.

Some of our previous marquee signings have been far worse where we've paid top dollar for a player who then hasn't worked with the side at all. Sarel Pretorius springs to mind in recent years.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who did most of the ruck work for the Waratahs in this match?

2016-05-16_9-50-12.jpg

Ruck involvements over time.

2016-05-16_9-47-26.jpg

Best efforts by Backs:

Horne - 15 Total (11 Attack/4 Defence); Folau - 15T (12A/3D).

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

And for the other Australian teams?

2016-05-16_9-51-50.jpg

2016-05-16_9-46-56.jpg

Impressive lift for the start of the 2nd half by the Rebels, Reds and Waratahs.

As usual Back Rowers (9) make up more than half of this list but some strong contributions from Front Rowers (5) and the normal Locks (2).

Only 8 of these players were in the 2015 RWC squad.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What that shows me is that at test level with Fardy and Pocock smashing in at the breakdown that Hooper can maintain a wider role for running the ball up or tackling the first receiver or forward coming around the corner. I don't think we'd pick three back rowers all doing the ruck monster job. The tight forwards doing some of the work is a good thing, so I'm pleased to see Holmes and Simmons in there doing their bit.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks ForceFan for the continuing stats;

Its starting to get to direct comparisons and it is interesting the stats between Hooper and Pocock ( to me it is the position most interesting )

Similar minutes on the field
Poey = 37 Ruck Involvements, Hooper - 26
Poey = 24 in attack and 13 in defence
Hooper = 21 un attack and 5 in defence

Dunno about run metres.

Shall await with unbridled anticipation, the inevitable comments that will be sure to follow:)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What that shows me is that at test level with Fardy and Pocock smashing in at the breakdown that Hooper can maintain a wider role for running the ball up or tackling the first receiver or forward coming around the corner. I don't think we'd pick three back rowers all doing the ruck monster job. The tight forwards doing some of the work is a good thing, so I'm pleased to see Holmes and Simmons in there doing their bit.

The general picture over the last few weeks seems to be that the Waratahs are contesting fewer rucks in total, and certainly putting fewer numbers into rucks. Gibson seems to have them committing only the bare minimum to the breakdown, and relying more on the defensive pattern (I think the Tahs have the 2nd fewest points conceded) than slowing the opposition ball or turning it over. It seems to be working of late, but obviously issues could arise if the opposition attack the breakdown on Tahs' ball more and the aimed-for quick ball recycle gets messed up. Sort of moderately high risk / high reward play, at least for now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'll bite.
Wouldn't it be great to pick a player that didn't need other players to do his job for him. A 7 who was strong over the ball, could distribute and was a genuine lineout option.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll bite.
Wouldn't it be great to pick a player that didn't need other players to do his job for him. A 7 who was strong over the ball, could distribute and was a genuine lineout option.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

I don't think McCaw is eligible for the Wallabies. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.