• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Crusaders, Friday 12th April, in Sydney

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
amazed at how the scrum held up. One positive with all the injuries is that it bloods new players - and blooding front rowers is something we need. Yeah Stringer put a big game in when he needed to. Did he end up playing the whole 80?
Nearly. Came off with about 10 to go. Big shift from him. The replacement was no slouch when he got on

Marce

John Thornett (49)
In which Aussie newspapers on instagram I can read this news? The win over Saders. It's almost impossible. Isn't it? And I'm not talk about The Roar or Stan, I mean non-traditional instagram pages

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There's reports that Berry pretty much told Reihana that was the case.
Yep Berry was telling someone the game was over if 80 mins ticked over before he kicked etc, but it's all just a lot of nothing anyway, Crusaders didn't probably deserve the win anyway, not that I suggesting Tahs did, but whether he could of/should of taken more time really is just a furphy anyway. Any of a multi little things could of changed things.
Things like this come up often in battle of cellar dwellers. ;)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There's reports that Berry pretty much told Reihana that was the case.
Well he told him to use the shot clock on the scoreboard and the commentators mentioned that the time on the shot clock was longer than what was left in the game. From what I heard at no point did he hurry the kicker up - just made him aware that they were working off the scoreboard tiAnd when the goal was kicked Berry seemed to confirm with the TMO it was kicked inside the 80 minutes, so therefore a kick off was allowed.

If you look at the Reds game the try was scored before full time, but the kicker let time run out then kicked it.

From what I heard (or thought I heard) and my understanding of the rules it seems like the kicker should’ve just let the shot clock run out - or at least made sure they didn’t kick the ball before the 80.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yep Berry was telling someone the game was over if 80 mins ticked over before he kicked etc, but it's all just a lot of nothing anyway, Crusaders didn't probably deserve the win anyway, not that I suggesting Tahs did, but whether he could of/should of taken more time really is just a furphy anyway. Any of a multi little things could of changed things.
Things like this come up often in battle of cellar dwellers. ;)
It’s still a missed opportunity though, right.

I’m more asking out of interest than anything. But at the end of the day if the kicker was more aware Crusaders win the game. I get that 100 other small moments can be just as important even if they are harder to isolate and shine the spotlight on. But if my understanding is correct I’d imagine every coach will be highlighting it to his team at the Monday meeting.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
It’s still a missed opportunity though, right.

I’m more asking out of interest than anything. But at the end of the day if the kicker was more aware Crusaders win the game. I get that 100 other small moments can be just as important even if they are harder to isolate and shine the spotlight on. But if my understanding is correct I’d imagine every coach will be highlighting it to his team at the Monday meeting.
Surely the coach, if he was any good, would have radioed to his water runner to tell the kicker to see the shot clock out. That is, so they win the game. Penney is a dud coach.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just watched (and listened) to it again. It sounds like the ref asks the TMO if the player can drain the clock, but we don't ever hear the answer. Commentators aren't that clear either. We never see the shot clock on the scoreboard to see what the difference is.

Just going off what we can see, the try was awarded at 78:28, so even if he kicked at shot clock = to zero, there are still two seconds left and a kick-off

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surely the coach, if he was any good, would have radioed to his water runner to tell the kicker to see the shot clock out. That is, so they win the game. Penney is a dud coach.
Isn't the simpler explanation is the shot clock expired before time-off and the kicker couldn't prevent the kick-off?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, I really enjoyed that game. Missed it last night as out but got to watch the replay this morning, what a nail biter at the end.

So happy for Will Harrison after the year or two he's had. He's looking good and I think in the long run he'll leapfrog Edmed, he adds more and is less of a distributor and more of an actual playmaker. Also happy for the squad and coaches, it'd be a heartbreaker to loose another game at the death with the season we've been having.

The forwards all generally had a really good game, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) worked really hard. Considering our front row woes I was really worried we'd get blown away at scrum time, but we held tight. I thought Swinton put in one of the better performances I've seen in a longtime. Jed has to be part of that Wallabies squad, he's just playing such a consistent and smart game atm. Ned, Gleeson and Gamble also put in notable performances. The backs did better than some of the past games, not pushing so many passes and when they did push something it was in zones where we could scramble our line to shore things up.

For the Crusaders, you take Reece off the park and I really wonder how they would have gone in that game. They really look a shade of their former glory at the moment. I don't think it's all on Penny with some notable outs and the departure of some generational talent, but still, there is a lot of experience in that team and they just aren't performing anywhere near their historic standards.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As did Heaven
I think Heaven has been pretty decent most weeks. Not a world beater by any stretch - but for a guy who started as the fourth string he’s been pretty solid. From what I’ve seen his throwing has been pretty accurate which, in itself, is something which has been a real issue for our hookers.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just watched (and listened) to it again. It sounds like the ref asks the TMO if the player can drain the clock, but we don't ever hear the answer. Commentators aren't that clear either. We never see the shot clock on the scoreboard to see what the difference is.

Just going off what we can see, the try was awarded at 78:28, so even if he kicked at shot clock = to zero, there are still two seconds left and a kick-off
I thought the commentators said that the shot clock had 8 seconds longer than the game clock.

But what you’ve written makes a lot of sense and I’m sure Berry confirmed there were two seconds left. I thought he was confirming when the kick went over but maybe he was just confirming in terms of when the try was scored. (If so credit to him for being precise).

Last edited:

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Try was scored at 78:26 and awarded at 78:28, so right decision was made according to the broadcast clock.

I don't think we know what the shot clock at the ground was saying, but the ref immediately said as he kicked it that he kicked it before time. It must have only been one or two seconds in it
On the screen at the ground the shot clock had more time than the game clock by a few seconds. Maybe he didn't want to cut it so fine. Glad he did.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think the most likely explanation is Berry knew try was scored at 78:28 (told by TMO), but 90 seconds shot clock was started 10 seconds later, after try was awarded, when Berry first talks to TMO.

So Berry managed it by allowing the player to convert in line with what the shot-clock said, but intending to always allow the kickoff because there was more than 90 seconds left when try awarded.

If commentary didn't talk over ref/TMO discussion, this would be a lot easier to hear

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I would have cared substantially more if we lost but we didn't so who give a f@*k.

Also Reece's pass was forward so it should have been a tahs scrum prior to the try anyway.
I give a fuck. That’s why I asked the question. If you don’t then scroll past. It’s not that much of an imposition really.