• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Highlanders trial - Thursday 16 February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hooper - as above and great line, he was carrying the whole team in his back pack.

Matty Lucas, clearly the best 9 of the 3 that played last night, he had the fowards doing their job and gave great ball. Gee whilst he was on the pitch we climbed back and almost took the game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Being served up by Naholo is not unusual, the Roar had the first Landers try up, it was some nice rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They were caught short on the first try but the big defensive error was from Latu.

He rushed out of the line but rushed at no one. He needed to go straight at Naholo who was always going to get the ball.

The cover that needs to come across in this defensive structure where you are leaving space on the outside needs to be faster. It wasn't close to being up to scratch last night. Hopefully they don't take long to get it right otherwise they will leak some soft tries.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson was a very high % goal kicker in the NRL.

The challenge is that nearly all those kicks are conversions, so they don't take into consideration rugby's need for hard penalty kicks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Robinson was a very high % goal kicker in the NRL.

The challenge is that nearly all those kicks are conversions, so they don't take into consideration rugby's need for hard penalty kicks

Foley doesn't take them from much outside 40 so it's not really a concern for the Tahs. Surely Robinson has more distance than that.

It does seem that he only kicked due to Foley having a groin complaint but those were tough conditions to kick in last night and he did well.

I'd certainly look at him as the kicker for the start of the season and see how he goes. He's definitely in my starting XV.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With 5004 people there the ground was almost at capacity - is that commercially viable for the Tahs?

I'm not sure about that number, and i hear the ticketing went belly up b4 the game. Having seen league crowds down there - league is spinning some shite. I would have thought it was closer to 10k - and that was for a trial on a weekday.

Just saying.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not sure about that number, and i hear the ticketing went belly up b4 the game. Having seen league crowds down there - league is spinning some shite. I would have thought it was closer to 10k - and that was for a trial on a weekday.

Just saying.

They announced that number in the last quarter - there was more capacity on the hills and the stands behind one of the try lines.

Perhaps it could get to 7.5k if it was 100% full but I don't think it could get much further than that.

Great ground for viewing though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
fatprop

I understand your jest about the whole competition but you guys sure can pile on the points.

Aussie conference a certainty particularly with Israel playing well.

Hooper starts off like he left off. By far and away the Tahs best player (yep even better than Folau)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They were caught short on the first try but the big defensive error was from Latu.

He rushed out of the line but rushed at no one. He needed to go straight at Naholo who was always going to get the ball.

The cover that needs to come across in this defensive structure where you are leaving space on the outside needs to be faster. It wasn't close to being up to scratch last night. Hopefully they don't take long to get it right otherwise they will leak some soft tries.
I'm not that keen on this structure, there are wingers in this comp,you simply can't allow to get the ball on the run,with a couple of metres of space.
Having said that,in the first half if they decided not to beat us on the edge,they strolled through the middle.
There is a lot of work to be done, we can't rely on opposition teams to be benching their A team at 1/2 time for us to be competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.