• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Lions - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It's not really a risk at all...

That's got to be a gee-up. I 100% agree that TPN & Ulugia should be the hookers this week with Fitzy starting in Shute. If he goes OK there then we can think about changes for the SA trip. But I want at least one hooker in the team who is not coming back from a major injury.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
They've been out for weeks, not months.

And plus, it's only the Lions........

Like when it was only the Cheetahs earlier this year?

I agree with Hawko, Tah's should be pushing for their strongest possible 22 with wins becoming so critical now at the tail end of the season for a top 6 finals berth, we all want to see 2 Australian teams in there.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Like when it was only the Cheetahs earlier this year? I agree with Hawko, Tah's should be pushing for their strongest possible 22 with wins becoming so critical now at the tail end of the season for a top 6 finals berth, we all want to see 2 Australian teams in there.

Surely there is absolutely, utterly, unequivocally, irrefutably, no way known to man or beast that the Tahs (with their excellent forwards and just as excellent defence) could ever, ever lose to the 2011 Lions?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some good news. SMH is reporting that Timani may also be back as his hand injury is not as bad as first thought.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id like to se ulugia on the bench with taf starting>
i think it is just reward for his efforts against the force>
i dont like the idea of dropping a player after they have a great game>> it sets a bad tone and reeks of favoritism>

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
id like to se ulugia on the bench with taf starting>
i think it is just reward for his efforts against the force>
i dont like the idea of dropping a player after they have a great game>> it sets a bad tone and reeks of favoritism>

Unfortunately Hickey seems very adamant in the press that TPN and Fitzy will be selected.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't want Fitzpatrick going over to SA with no Super rugby under his belt. It's really not a risk. Both are high quality hookers and haven't been out that long. It is the Lions after all, yes I'm aware of their challenge but their set-piece ain't their strong point at all!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely there is absolutely, utterly, unequivocally, irrefutably, no way known to man or beast that the Tahs (with their excellent forwards and just as excellent defence) could ever, ever lose to the 2011 Lions?

You wouldn't be trying to put the mocker on our blokes by any chance, RH?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There shouldn't be any doubt whatsoever, but the 2011 vintage Tahs haven't always inspired confidence. They need to jump out of the gates and smash the Lions right from the word go. At this stage of the season, every possible point they can muster is important.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
No way BR! I was rather reflecting upon a sense I detected that some Tahs' fans seemed to imply there could be a sliver of doubt about Saturday's Tahs' match.

You will excuse us rusted-on Tahs fans having the odd moment of doubt. The Lions played well last weekend (as best you can evaluate against the poor ponies) and the Cheetahs game was a very sobering experience.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You will excuse us rusted-on Tahs fans having the odd moment of doubt. The Lions played well last weekend (as best you can evaluate against the poor ponies) and the Cheetahs game was a very sobering experience.
"Tahs sufferers" is more appropriate that "Tahs supporters" sometimes. You stick with them, but watch the games without hope. Occasionally they play like they've got it all together, only to break your heart again. 2 weeks this year. I'm hoping for 3 next year.

My psych tells me that if I were a Red's fan, I could get off the meds ;)

R

RuckinGoodStats

Some stats to help the debate...

According to me,
Tahs conceding on average 8.8 pens per game.This is the 2nd lowest in the competition.
Of these 8.8, 4.6 are conceded at the ruck/maul. This is the lowest in the competition.
They are missing 11.5 tackles per game this is the 2nd lowest in the comp.
Handling errors are averaging 9.7 per game this is the 5th= highest in comp.
Handling errors contribute to them averaging 19.3 lost possession/turnovers per game. This is 3rd lowest in comp.

Lions conceding on average 9.9 pens per game.This is the 8th lowest in the competition.
Of these 9.9, 5.8 are conceded at the ruck/maul. This is the 6th= highest in the competition.
They are missing 13 tackles per game this 5th= lowest in the comp.
Handling errors are averaging 7.8 per game this is the 2nd lowest in comp.
Handling errors contribute to them averaging 21.3 lost possession/turnovers per game. This is 6th highest in comp.

Is anyone interested in the 95% confidence levels? I'm never sure if I should put those in.

Might post the ref stats 10 mins (if I remember) before the start so check back

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions:
15 Jaco Taute, 14 Lionel Mapoe, 13 Alwyn Hollenbach, 12 Doppies La Grange (c), 11 Deon Van Rensburg ,10 Butch James, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Joshua Strauss (vc) , 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Derick Minnie, 5 Franco Van der Merwe, 4 Wikus Van Heerden, 3 Patric Cilliers, 2 Bandise Maku, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg
Reserve: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Jacobie Adriaanse, 18 Warren Whiteley, 19 Cobus Grobbelaar, 20 Rory Kockott, 21 Elton Jantjies , 22 Dylan Des Fontein

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lions:
15 Jaco Taute, 14 Lionel Mapoe, 13 Alwyn Hollenbach, 12 Doppies La Grange (c), 11 Deon Van Rensburg ,10 Butch James, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Joshua Strauss (vc) , 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Derick Minnie, 5 Franco Van der Merwe, 4 Wikus Van Heerden, 3 Patric Cilliers, 2 Bandise Maku, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg
Reserve: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Jacobie Adriaanse, 18 Warren Whiteley, 19 Cobus Grobbelaar, 20 Rory Kockott, 21 Elton Jantjies , 22 Dylan Des Fontein

Impressed by Rhodes Paarl. What is his background?

Pretty lightweight pack for a Lions team. Props are midgets.

Butch by ten.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Impressed by Rhodes Paarl. What is his background?
Ex Sharks player.
SQUAD LISTMTN Lions Vodacom Super Rugby - 2011
MTN Golden Lions Vodacom Cup - 2011
Sharks ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division - 2010
Sharks Invitational XV Absa Currie Cup Compulsory Friendlies - 2010
Sharks XV Vodacom Cup - 2010
The Sharks Vodacom Super 14 - 2010
Sharks ABSA Currie Cup Premier Division - 2009
Sharks British & Irish Lions Tour - 2009
Sharks XV Vodacom Cup - 2009
Sharks u21 ABSA Under 21 Competition - 2008
Wildebeest Vodacom Cup - 2008
Sharks U/21 ABSA Under 21 Competition - 2007
Sharks XV Absa Currie Cup Compulsory Friendlies - 2007
KZN U19 ABSA Under 19 Competition - 2006
Kwa-Zulu Natal U18 Coca Cola Craven Week - 2005

Cilliers aswell. Minnie and Josh their hard workers give Rhodes the freedom to express himself. Glad to see they finally have the guts and trust to start with Taute. Been telling this since the start of the season. Regarding the fatties, JC not that bad and know Jacobie well, played Paarl Gym and from Klawer, boetie plays for the Tin Ears from the bench.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
James V Berrick will be battle of the hits:

First hit: 10 points
Normal hit: 5 points
Step/ avoid a hit: 5 points
Last hit: 10 points

Berrick by 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.