• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels, RD3 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheika is obviously doing some good things with the Tahs - nobody can deny there is a change in style evident. The sloppiness in execution of basic skills at times (e.g. Volavola's touch kick that missed by 10-15m!!!) is the problem. And consistency. These things will come in time.

Volavola was not the only Australian back to miss putting a kick into touch this weekend. I seem to remember at least one in the very next game, and there was at least one in the Force - Bulls game I saw a bit of. Australian backs do not kick well in general play and we certainly do not have players who can kick it long like the Saffers do.

The season will go one of two ways: either we will slide into a cycle of mediocrity and loss of confidence or we will grow a bit each match and by round 5 or 6 be ready to give some team a real dusting. My money's on the latter, I like what I see.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Our kicking game is fairly woeful without Barnes. Our kick-offs were flat and uncontesteable (not to mention the one that went out on the full), and we rarely found grass with our kicks from hand.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Having now seen the full match, I thought there was good evolution from the week before. Attack was more organised with better support lines, and more awareness of pop passes and offloads. Far fewer missed tackles too. It wasn't a complete performance by any means, but I was really happy to see that development in execution.

Getting Barnes back is important and will make a big difference.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Having now seen the full match, I thought there was good evolution from the week before. Attack was more organised with better support lines, and more awareness of pop passes and offloads. Far fewer missed tackles too. It wasn't a complete performance by any means, but I was really happy to see that development in execution.

Getting Barnes back is important and will make a big difference.

Agree with that, it was always going to be this way (long term and evolutionary). We'll need to step up again this week to have a chance. Brumbies are playing good rugby and are also playing with confidence. The return of the prodigal son will only increase their level of play and confidence.

BB will certainly give us a more balanced backline when he returns.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Our kicking game is fairly woeful without Barnes. Our kick-offs were flat and uncontesteable (not to mention the one that went out on the full), and we rarely found grass with our kicks from hand.
The Tahs kicking game has been woeful for 3 years, with or without BB.
I can't see how his appearance will make any difference to the kicking game.Having said that, IMO he has played much better at 12 than he has at 10.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Tahs kicking game has been woeful for 3 years, with or without BB.
I can't see how his appearance will make any difference to the kicking game.

And unfortunately this is the case throughout professional rugby in Australia at the moment. No-one seems to really get when to kick and what type of kick to use.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Has anyone thought that it might be Berrick Barnes that is holding teams back? The Reds were terrible when he was up there and as soon as he leaves they start to play good footy and eventually win a title. Tahs consistently made the finals and then when Berrick heads to NSW they struggle to win games.
Just a thought. ...;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anyone thought that it might be Berrick Barnes that is holding teams back? The Reds were terrible when he was up there and as soon as he leaves they start to play good footy and eventually win a title. Tahs consistently made the finals and then when Berrick heads to NSW they struggle to win games.
Just a thought. .;)
I have thought that BB may not be that coachable and should not be given too much freedom

Let me rephrase that, under pressure he is most likely to kick the ball away and if something works once - he will do it 20 more times

The challenge is that he also does a lot of great stuff as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just a thought. .;)
It's a definite possibility. We'll see how he goes under the new coach. It's hard to judge how good any of the backs were/are when coached by Hickey/Foley/Deans.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have thought that BB may not be that coachable and should not be given too much freedom

Let me rephrase that, under pressure he is most likely to kick the ball away and if something works once - he will do it 20 more times

The challenge is that he also does a lot of great stuff as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You're right, he's great with ball in hand, but awful when he starts kicking. If he's picked at 12, at least there's less reason to kick.

Unfortunately he's not the only Aussie back who is like that - the common denominator being Robbie Deans (JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) have also adopted ridiculous short kicking repetoires).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You're right, he's great with ball in hand, but awful when he starts kicking. If he's picked at 12, at least there's less reason to kick.

Unfortunately he's not the only Aussie back who is like that - the common denominator being Robbie Deans (JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) have also adopted ridiculous short kicking repetoires).

Not exactly what I mean, when he ad-libs & kicks under pressure ...... meh, it is a club rugby thump down field

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not exactly what I mean, when he ad-libs & kicks under pressure .. meh, it is a club rugby thump down field

I think we mean the same thing, I haven't worded it well. Many of our current backs don't seem to know what type of kick to put in and when to do it - they just kick it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I think the short kick in behind a rushing defence is a good tactic(at the right end of the field).
QC (Quade Cooper) has obviously been practising this in the off season, he has made several good short little dabs that have yet to pay a dividend..but they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.