• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs V Reds July 13 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Except for that game against the Brumbies that he, you know, was pivotal in winning.

On reflection was probably a little harsh on Barnes - But reality is hes probably played all of... 100mins? for Tahs this year.

I was pretty critical of mckibbin / foley early on in the season but I think they have formed a really nice combination and just felt that Barnes interfered with that combination especially v Crusaders (which I am still hurting from) he didn't really do anything positive and..... most of all missed the kick.

Long and short of it, as much as I feel for him with injury/s, hes probably one of the most over-rated in the Tah squad.... The centre pairing of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne was working well and Izzy @ 15 - where would you put him? Particularly when players in backline were winning matches...

I like the guy as an individual but think he past his prime and no REAL loss for Tahs this weekend. As opposed to Izzy who has seriously showed his true calibre over the last few weeks.....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Lions tour will have been pretty tough on those players who started or played lots of time over the three weeks. Players like Robinson, Horwill, Douglas, Hooper, Palu, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau are likely to be pretty bashed up and reports that Douglas, Palu, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau are likely to be out through injury are not unexpected.Those players need to have a week off or at worst be on the bench. The Reds have got finals in front of them and can't afford to further fatigue their stars just for the pleasure of beating the Tahs and for the Tahs stars its only a few weeks before Bledisloe 1.

Players who came off the bench or didn't start (like Slipper, Simmons, Gill, Kepu, Horne, etc) should be right to go. The teams that I would expect might be selected would be:
  1. Kepu Holmes
  2. Ulugia Fainga'a
  3. Ryan Slipper
  4. Atkins Simmons
  5. Skelton AWH
  6. Lopeti Quirk
  7. McCutcheon Gill
  8. Dennis Schatz
  9. McKibbin Lucas
  10. Foley Cooper
  11. Kingston Shipperley
  12. Horne Tapuai
  13. Carter Fainga'a
  14. Betham Davies
  15. Crawford Morahan
  16. Fitzpatrick Hanson
  17. Robinson Daley
  18. Douglas Horwill
  19. Hooper Robinson
  20. Lucas Frisby
  21. Volavola CFS
  22. Hodge Harris
Looking at the head to head match-ups I would think the Reds would start firm favorites, but rugby is a funny game. I'm looking forward to it myself, principally as a guide for how we have gone in developing depth and how Link will plan to counter Cheika's new gameplan.

Starch

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortuneately you are probably right and it will be a wallaby depleted game. I was looking forward to a tight five matchup of the waratahs vs the reds wallabies, as well as the loosies. Very interested in the balance of a horwill and simmons combo, vs a piano lifting combo of douglas/ skelton; and what style would win. And any game that matched hooper and gill would be great. Will love to see cooper go again after the lions series.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Barnes and Timani are back for this one. Barnes to 15 and Skelton to drop to the bench for Timani I assume.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Newington (GPS) is playing Trinity (CAS) as the curtain raiser to this game at 5.40pm.

New should win handily but folks should get to the main game early to see some of the Oz Schools players in action.

Newington had ten of their players in the two NSW Schools sides and of those, four got in the Oz Schools Ones and three in the Twos.

Four of them (or more?) are from rugby league and will go back there after school. Supporters of other schools have a jaundiced view of such players as it is hard to compete against teams who "acquire" them but since they are playing union now they are worth watching.

The Newington centres 12. Moeroa and 13 Milne are both league players and are very effective, even though they seem not to communicate well.

For those who don't watch schools footie: look out for Moreoa to run unders lines over the top of tacklers even though they know he's coming. Also watch Milne who is the more talented player - there is a bit of Peter Betham in him and he was one of the best players in the Oz Schools tournament last week.

He is one I would like to keep - or at least, get back later.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you're on the money about the 13 being the better prospect Lee.

They had trouble defending Moreoa close to the line,where they needed to hit him in the chest.A few times would be tacklers resembled road kill.
However, when he ran the ball a little further out,tackling him around the legs did not seem such a daunting task.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree, but his effect in defence is under-rated - though that will diminish over time as his opponents catch up with him physically.

Twice in one game last week (v. CS?) he jolted the ball loose in a tackle and tries resulted to others; once immediately.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Folau is cleared to play according to foxsports news during Links presser.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373379609.529871.jpg

I don't think Drew is going to make it from what I have read.

Reactions: mjw

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
I was sure Izzy would be gone for this game. Can't see any info on any of the news sites regarding this though.
Hope he's playing. My 5 year old boys loves him and will be devastated if he can't watch him play live on Saturday night. And if he goes back to the NRL, this will be the last time we get to see him in a Tah's jersey.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be amazed to see him turn out on Saturday

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a shame Mitchell won't be playing. Would have been good to see him play for the Tahs one last time.

Hopefully the Tahs pull it together and give Barnes, Ulugia and Timani a good send off. Hopefully those three contribute to making it a memorable final game for the Tahs.

I also understand that Tom Carter might be leaving so it would be excellent to send Tommy off with a win.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
It's a shame Mitchell won't be playing. Would have been good to see him play for the Tahs one last time.

Hopefully the Tahs pull it together and give Barnes, Ulugia and Timani a good send off. Hopefully those three contribute to making it a memorable final game for the Tahs.

I also understand that Tom Carter might be leaving so it would be excellent to send Tommy off with a win.
Ulugia?

Status
Not open for further replies.