• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - 2011R07

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Baxter gone, but maybe Robinson (with a broken rib) and Nau (with a dud knee) are back :nta:

Another front-row rethink for Waratahs
Greg Growden
March 29, 2011

THE Waratahs will again have to revamp their front row with prop Al Baxter unavailable for Friday night's match against the Chiefs at the SFS, while Kurtley Beale yesterday provided the first serious signs he will take over the No.10 jersey.

The Waratahs front-row has been like a revolving door this season. Following injuries to hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau and loose-head prop Benn Robinson, Baxter is now sidelined after damaging his foot and dislocating a thumb in last weekend's last-minute win over the Brumbies in Canberra.

While Polota-Nau and Robinson are expected to return to the front row against the Chiefs, Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said there were several options at tight-head. The most likely is moving Sekope Kepu from loose-head, or fast-tracking 22-year-old Paddy Ryan.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Crack a rib and its healed in a fortnight? Just like last year I guess.

If Robinson is to come back this week it should be off the bench. I would play Kepu at LHP and Ryan at THP. If it goes bad, Robinson can got to LH and Kepu to TH. Not ideal but the best we've got and we can test out Ryan against the reasonable but not ferocious Chief props. If Fat Cat doesn't make it then Tilse comes to the bench. He was Super good last year but went downhill in Shute after that. He aimed up last time, he'll have to do it again.

If TPN is coming back he should do it off the bench too. Fitzpatrick was pretty good last week and needs more game time to develop. The Chiefs are not a top line team and we need our stars fit for the really tough games coming up (Blues and Reds away).

The key to this match is physicality at the breakdown. Messam and co. are top class and we need to neutralise them and get over the gain line on offence. That means forwards hitting the pass at speed, not standing still. In defence it means runners have to be met early and knocked backwards. I would start Timani and Douglas this week with Mumm on the bench. Timani's been excellent, especially last week, not just for the try but his involvement from when he came on. Mowen can call the lineout and with Teamoney's 2.02m you don't lose anything. Timani's good impact vs Mumm's good engine, Mumm goes on when Timani tires.

Kurtley at 10 has me excited. I remember how well he played in the Crusaders final till he was injured. He will be good anywhere in the backline now but until Berrick is back (and he needs a good long rest for two concussions) he is our best 10. Hangers to the bench. Kurtley needs to use the kick as a surprise though, not his first option. The Chiefs back three are potent if you kick the ball to them. I have no problems with Turner at 15, his previous times there make me think its where he plays best. With the Tahs gameplan he is a bit restricted at 14 and will get more room at 15. I'd love to see him entering the 12/13 channel at top pace off a Beale feed with Carter running the decoy.

This week Carter and Cross have to aim up to restrict the delivery to Sivi and Masaga. Carter's OK but Cross vs Kahui has me worried.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Speaking of the chiefs: Sivivatu signs for Clermont

Chiefs wing Sitiveni Sivivatu is the latest All Black to have signed an overseas contract for after the World Cup.

Sivivatu has signed a two-year deal with current French champions Clermont, where he will join up with Kiwi coach Vern Cotter.

An official announcement is expected on Wednesday but members of Sivivatu's management team have confirmed the move to the press.

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_6839856,00.html

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
aweosme news that the cast of the Jersey Boys stage show will be singing a medley. Also its charity match day, so tahs will be in dark blue raising money for cerebal palsy.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
aweosme news that the cast of the Jersey Boys stage show will be singing a medley.

While Queensland played some shit rugby for most of the last decade, at least the reds never needed a jersey boys medley to get punters through the gate.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
While Queensland played some shit rugby for most of the last decade, at least the reds never needed a jersey boys medley to get punters through the gate.

qld look like a boy band without the need for one.
they are there to assist with the bucket collection for charity, so fair enough. not as good as looking at Jessica Mauboy, but the listening will be more my speed at least.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
qld look like a boy band without the need for one.

Bit rich for warratahs fans to be throwing boy band chat dont you think:

15-vi.jpg

attachment.php

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Side announced:

Lachie Turner, Atieli Pakalani, Ryan Cross, Tom Carter, Drew Mitchell, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, Phil Waugh (capt), Ben Mowen, Pat O'Connor, Dean Mumm, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson.
Res: Damien Fitzpatrick, Paddy Ryan, Dave Dennis, Sitaleki Timani, Pat McCutcheon, Brendan McKibbin, Daniel Halangahu

Presumably Douglas is injured, anyone know the story? Surprised to see O'Connor brought in instead of Timani.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Backline?

We have Beale and Turner in new positions and I think Cross and Pakalani aren't up to S15 standard. Has Halagahu played a game since his debacle against the Crusaders?

Bit worried considering the class of Chiefs backs.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
If the Tah's don't win this, I think they can throw their SF ambitions down the drain. It's one thing to lose to a highly pumped up SA cellar dwellar motivated by the return of the awesome Heinrich Brussow.

It's another to lose to the pile of dog shit that is my beloved chiefs.

Gaggers right - just stuff it up the jump, watch the chiefs panic and implode in front of you. Tahs by 25+

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Backline?

We have Beale and Turner in new positions and I think Cross and Pakalani aren't up to S15 standard. Has Halagahu played a game since his debacle against the Crusaders?

Bit worried considering the class of Chiefs backs.

Fair enough with Pakalani at the moment, but he could develop given time.

However, I don't understand why everyone underrates cross. I don't want to see him recalled to the wallabies any time soon, but he's a decent super player. After a poor start last year, he looked revitalized at inside centre for the force. I also think he has had some powerful runs when he has come of the bench for the tahs. If only he could pass better he'd a decent package.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If the Tah's don't win this, I think they can throw their SF ambitions down the drain. It's one thing to lose to a highly pumped up SA cellar dwellar motivated by the return of the awesome Heinrich Brussow.

It's another to lose to the pile of dog shit that is my beloved chiefs.

Gaggers right - just stuff it up the jump, watch the chiefs panic and implode in front of you. Tahs by 25+

Love the sentiment major, but I fear another outbreak of underdog syndrome leading to yet another Cheetahs experience. Hope you're right though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Doesn't say Douglas is injured, I am thinking he has been rested this week. Not a bad idea, Chiefs tight five aren't that crash hot and still a long way to go this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.