• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Rooster

Good call. I think he wouldn't do himself any favours by playing Super rugby just yet.

He'd be better off backing himself to get a Tahs contract in the next 1-3 years rather than rushing off to Perth underdeveloped.

Then we should apply the same logic to PAE who is the same age/experience and signed with the Force from the Reds academy - not ready

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Then we should apply the same logic to PAE who is the same age/experience and signed with the Force from the Reds academy - not ready

Its worse than that. PAE is a prop and props need to develop, both from a strength and skill point of view. Selecting any prop for Super Rugby before the age of 23 is fraught with danger as they are just not fully developed before then. Locks can come in a year or two earlier, depending on their individual development.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper's only 21, he's playing Test footy pretty well. There are excepetions to the rule, but I think you're pretty right Hawko.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Let's not judge the Force or PAE's connections too harshly or prematurely.

For all we know the Force will nurture him perfectly but had to offer him a S15 contract to lure him out west.

I hope that is the case, but if they use him before his time the Force will be fair game for our barbs.

Just remind me: did PAE play 1st Grade in Brisbane club rugby this year - and if so, regularly or otherwise, and how did he go?

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
PAE did play a bit of premier grade up here. Started off on the bench as he had Anae and Holmes in front of him but once ole avei left they moved Anae to hooker and PAE started.

If the force are after outside backs why not go after Aidan toua? He would Definetely provide more depth and competition for Graham and could free up o'connor to play closer to the action.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What will the Force backrow be with McCalman, Brown, Hodgson and Pocock? McCalman to lock with Sharpe or someone to the bench?

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Doubt it qwerty.
McCalman is going to want to make a push for the Wallaby 8 spot. I would suggest that the four of them rotate over the season to cover for injuries.
I can see one of Brown and Hodgson going at the end of next season though. Pocock is the ebst of the three, and McCalman will get regular starts as he is teh only one of the four not a fetcher.
As a locking partner for Sharpe, it needs to be Hocking, and he needs to step up. The Force need to find the heir to Sharpe to take over the lineout duties.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Hoping clubs for employment is vastly different to hoping clubs for $$$ like Valentine does.

Power to the Mafi fellow.

That's a bit harsh. Valentine's movement has been for oppurtunity and I am 99% sure money is not even a talking point as his Super contract would be the same everywhere. The ARU top up is different.

What makes you make an outlandish claim that Valentine hops franchises for money?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's a bit harsh. Valentine's movement has been for oppurtunity and I am 99% sure money is not even a talking point as his Super contract would be the same everywhere. The ARU top up is different.

What makes you make an outlandish claim that Valentine hops franchises for money?

Perhaps I was harsh but if he was the starting 9 for the Tahs in 2008 (I think), the starting 9 for the Force in 2009 and the starting 9 for the Brumbies in 2010, what else could it be for? He was getting minutes wherever he went.

I specifically remember hearing him say he would never move to Canberra because it was too cold in a press conference when he signed with for Force, he signed for Canberra a year later.

FYI, I certainly don't think chasing a higher wage is a unethical thing to do if you honour all your contracts as you go.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)

It's a professional sport. Most hop around for money. Why did all those QLDers leave their beloved state for Western Force? Why did Giteau leave for Western Force? Hunt and Folau to AFL etc etc

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Perhaps I was harsh but if he was the starting 9 for the Tahs in 2008 (I think), the starting 9 for the Force in 2009 and the starting 9 for the Brumbies in 2010, what else could it be for? He was getting minutes wherever he went.

He was actually the No 3 half back at the Waratahs in 2008 behind Burgess and Sheehan. He mainly played for NSW A and therefore left for the Force.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Valentine does pick up his bundle and move on quickly when it gets hard, sort of a metaphor for his rugby methinks

A

Albert

Valentine does pick up his bundle and move on quickly when it gets hard, sort of a metaphor for his rugby methinks

Is it too inflammatory to suggest that Valo's skills as a halfback outweigh his skills as a decent bloke?

Perhaps that's why he's been through so many clubs. I can't recall the Reds / Tahs / Force really trying hard to stretch the budget and keep him at the club...

Status
Not open for further replies.