• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting article. Everyone loves a winner, if the Force managed to win more games than it lost you'd be amazed at the numbers that would be coming through the gates. Still have a very loyal 14,000+ that get along to the games and that's after 6 and a bit years of not much to cheer. It'll be interesting to see the crowd response at the next home game against the Stormers if RG is still in as coach. As a supporter I'm in for the long haul, we'll turn the corner eventually.

Moono, out of interest, do you think a 14,000 'core' game gate number is financially sustainable for the Force? Genuine question. That's maybe a net of say $200k-ish per home game and where this income line is a big part of an S15 franchise's income. Looks thin to me in terms of the high fixed overheard any S15 franchise has, and good players and the best coaches are not getting cheaper. I also notice (from PB's figures at least) that game numbers average so far in 2012 are down around 9% on 2011's average:

2012 averages after round 8
Force 14688
2011 year
Force 16,201

Hasn't the breakthrough to, say, a final 6 in the S15 got to come pretty soon in terms of ensuring the Force as an enterprise doesn't get into what could be an inexorable downward spiral of too-low gate income and thus general financial viability? Believe me, we in QLD know all about downward spirals when a team under-performs for a long period.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the dissatisfaction with the Force is more due to their lack of results than by RG's departure.

If the Force had been undefeated and RG had announced he was leaving at seasons end, I doubt the crowds would drop one iota.

As it is I hope fans realise this isn't a case of Graham jumping off a sinking ship, it's him being offered the job of a lifetime coaching his home state.

I certainly don't begrudge him for taking the job, though I agree the timing was strange. But would you prefer he lie to the fans and players until the end of the season, with the chance that the news would be leaked to the press by either the QRU or Force?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Moono, out of interest, do you think a 14,000 'core' game gate number is financially sustainable for the Force? Genuine question. That's maybe a net of say $200k-ish per home game and where this income line is a big part of an S15 franchise's income. Looks thin to me in terms of the high fixed overheard any S15 franchise has, and good players and the best coaches are not getting cheaper. I also notice (from PB's figures at least) that game numbers average so far in 2012 are down around 9% on 2011's average:

2012 averages after round 8
Force 14688
2011 year
Force 16,201

Hasn't the breakthrough to, say, a final 6 in the S15 got to come pretty soon in terms of ensuring the Force as an enterprise doesn't get into what could be an inexorable downward spiral of too-low gate income and thus general financial viability? Believe me, we in QLD know all about downward spirals when a team under-performs for a long period.

It is a worrying sign when numbers through the gate drop. But I doubt they have the over heads that teams like the Reds and Waratahs when it comes to stadia. It only holds about 19-20k and is not the flashes place in the world.

We need something to cheer about to get more people through the gate. Something which is a little annoying is that we could easily fill the place every week if the cuzzy bros showed but. Sure it might not be there home town team playing every week from NZ but if they are true rugby fans they should be there to support there new adopted towns team. We see when ever there is a NZ team the place is virtually sold out. We need to try and tap into these people and bring them back from the dark side and show them that the Force is with them!

M

Moono75

I must say I just plucked that figure of 14,000 out of the air. I'm just basing that on my own judgement attending home games. As Gaffa has said above numbers increase markedly when an NZ team is playing and you notice similar with some SA teams due to the large number of Kiwis and South Africans living in WA.

As for the Force/RugbyWA's business model, at the moment NIB Stadium and it's 20,000 capacity is about all they need. If the Force end up putting a winning season together then you might find crowd numbers on the up and this will be catered for with the planned redevelopment of NIB Stadium. A temporary move back to Subiaco Oval may be required though whilst work is carried out. NIB is by no means 'state of the art' in terms of stadiums so I couldn't see that the overheads would be anything like those being paid by the Reds (best rugby stadium) or Tahs.

The Force must be doing OK, they have a great new state of the art training facility/HQ. (apologies to Gaffa I seem to have basically said everything you said)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nathan Sharpe: Tears will flow at my last Force game

I don't imagine a tear will roll down my eye as the whistle blows for the last home game with my beloved Emirates Western Force.

I can assure you however, that there will be plenty leading up to the time I run on to the pitch and more than likely a few more afterwards.

It seems so long ago that the team ran out to sing the national anthem at Subiaco before our first game in 2006, ironically against the Brumbies who we face on Saturday.

John Welborn was singing Advance Australia Fair wildly out of key, a baby-faced Richard Brown was still wet behind his then uncauliflowered ears and a 17-year-old man-child, David Pocock, was sitting in the stands waiting his turn.

I am not skilled enough at writing to put into words the emotion I have around the approaching game against the Brumbies.

So much passion rushes through me whenever I think of our club and the immense support we have received from day one, an unrelenting passion that sees the same faces each week turn up no matter what the circumstances.

Cheering us even when the chips have been down and never going away - a bit like Matty Hodgson really.

It's not even that unwavering support that makes me love the Force. It's all the people involved in and around the club that try and make it the best place it can be.

For me, it has been a labour of love so to speak. My only disappointment over the seven years is that I couldn't be on the field when we taste real, consistent success.

I'll probably be standing next to Scotty Staniforth or Luke Doherty sipping on a cold one when that happens.

I will remember the highs like the Hurricanes win after full-time in 2007, beating the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld the next season, David Hill's last-minute drop goal at home against the table-topping Stormers or smacking the Reds this year at home.

Sure, there have been a few lows, I can't avoid stating that, but I learnt how to handle many situations and if those lessons are well heeded, the club will only get stronger from them. My time in the jersey is coming to an end but I was only there to contribute to a bigger picture.

The Western Force are bigger than any individual could ever be and I am proud to have been lucky enough to represent this place.

What does running out for the last time in front of the sea of blue mean?

I guess it means I will never again experience a feeling quite the same that you, our supporters, have given me, or that my teammates have done over the years.

There have been hard-fought wins and close losses, massive highs with tough lows. All tremendous memories. Most importantly however, it means just being involved with great people.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...st-force-game/

M

Moono75

Well done Sharpie for all the sacrifices you have made for the club. Champion player and person.

I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday and to hopefully shaking his hand after the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There'll be a lot of love for the big fella when he lines up for the last time at home on Saturday. It's hard to over estimate what he's meant to the Force over the years.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was just thinking the other day that I can't remember a time when Sharpey had hair.

Does such a time exist?
Does this count?
2048211_NRHP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.