• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you think John Grant will start Super Rugby game one this season (barring injury to others) you're dreaming, he's pretty raw.

Think David Smith in his first year for the Canes (the Force's version was relatively well rounded).

He's got a bucket of potential, let's hope he realises it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rohan Saifoloi

He played well this year in the Shute Shield - at least in the games I saw (and not to the point, but so did Pakalani for the same Southern Districts team; so I wonder what he is doing.)

I wrote yesterday about how valuable an ARC would be, if for nothing else but to use it as an assessment tool: to see who can perform under pressure at a level higher than club rugby.

Saifoloi is a player who needs such an assessment and I think any of us anywhere in Oz would be able to name 10 others.

John Grant

He was another who was hard to judge. Beware of watching highlights packages of him because he promised a lot but was not a good enough footie player to make the step up. Then in 2011 he seemed to take that move for Eastwood with a more rounded game and I thought he would picked for a Super team, but he went to league instead and I wrote:

Super teams had every chance to sign him up; so you couldn't blame him for taking a chance to play footie for a living. I thought that he was developing nicely this year for Eastwood and was playing the best footie of his career, albeit with more to develop in his game.

As others have said: let's hope that he comes back, and as a better player.

Well - it is good to see him back, just to see if he can get to where he was in rugby union before he left. Good union wingers don't always make it in league and vice versa is true also; so we shouldn't think that being discarded by the Tigers is a huge blot.

But he is bloody quick and big with it. Folks will remember that Lachie Turner won that race in 2010 against all the fast football players in Oz - well, Grant was second, after being called in late and having no preparation.

When asked what he liked most about playing league Grant is alleged to had said something like: "I don't have to play Union any more."

If true, it was a bridge that should not have been burnt, but let's all wish him the best now that he is back.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Is this the same John Grant who played for the Aussie 7's side? Tall guy?

Sorry, I should've watched the video first...

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
He's big, he's fast ..... and that is it. Watching him play for Eastwood I understood why no super rugby team signed him up. Doesn't have a step or kicking game to speak of and from memory didn't do a great deal of work off the ball. I hope Foley hasn't kept his NSW thinking pattern of 'he played for an NRL team so he must be good' with him for the Force's sake. Can't see him lasting at the Force beyond two seasons personally (if he gets a run this year he will be worket out pretty quick and if he doesn't get a run this year will be found out quickly next).

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Vern Reid quits Western Force

WESTERN Force chief executive Vern Reid has quit his job at the Super Rugby outfit.
Reid joins a long list of people to leave the club in recent months as it strives to rebuild following a tumultous season which saw Richard Graham removed as coach, following revelations he had signed to coach Queensland next season.
The club was unsuccessful in retaining Wallaby flanker David Pocock for next season, while veteran Test second-rower Nathan Sharpe retired from Super Rugby.
The decision of Reid, a former basketball and Australian football administrator, signifies a change in direction for the club.
Former NSW Waratahs coach Michael Foley has been installed as head coach among a host of personnel changes.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/vern-reid-quits-western-force/story-e6frg7mf-1226494450780

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I have never met the bloke, but if his manners after the Stormers game this year are anything to go by he won't be missed by the fans. When everyone was in the tent after the game having drinks waiting for the players to speak he wasn't being heard over the hub-bub and decided the appropriate way to get everyones attention was to yell "Would you all shut up" at the top of his lungs into the mic for 300 people who had payed $400 a ticket. Not jokingly either, pretty much in a rage.

It was pretty unprofessional.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Been on a/leave the last few weeks and have watched a few Cheetahs Currie Cup games to get a look at Sias Eberhson.

To be honest, I have been pretty underwhelmed. He is solid with a great kick but his speed is concerning, quite slow and he doesn't pass much long ball (though that could be the Cheetah game plan). I hope he is the answer but from what I have seen he will be Sarel Pretorius MkII.

W

Waylon

Feeling good about the coach after above interview

Also feeling good about the organisation after Vern fell on his sword

The joint needed a clean out at the top.

Great to see they are looking for some backs that can attack

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
When asked what he liked most about playing league Grant is alleged to had said something like: "I don't have to play Union any more."

If true, it was a bridge that should not have been burnt, but let's all wish him the best now that he is back.

Reckon that may have came from his West Tigers profile page (where it looks like someone is giving him a gee-up).

John Grant
00136503_Image.jpeg

• Date of Birth: 25 October, 1988
  • Height: 196 cm
  • Weight: 104 kg
  • Position: Wing
  • Rep. Honours: Rugby: Australian 7s, Australia U19s
  • Junior Clubs: Canowindra Tigers (Birthplace: Canowindra)
  • Previous Clubs: Eastwood Rugby
  • FG Debut: Yet to play for Wests Tigers
  • Club Debut: Yet to play for Wests Tigers
John Grant is a powerfully built winger who posesses tremendous speed.

The former Eastwood Rugby first grade winger knows how to find the tryline and his pace combined with his height will make him hard to stop in first year in the NRL.

Getting to Know John Grant.

Q: What is the most embarrassing/random song on your Ipod?
A: Barbie Girl

Q: What are the positives for you in being a contracted Wests Tigers player?.
A: I don't have to play rugby again.

Q: Wests Tigers have a great chance in 2012. What will you personally do to help the team achieve its true potential?
A: Play my best.

Q: As a kid, which team did you support and who was your favourite player?
A: Randwick (rugby). Lote Tuqiri.

Q: Is there any current and/or former rugby league player/players that you have modelled your own game on?
A: Lote Tuqiri

Q: Who would be your 4 dinner guests – 2 male, 2 female?
A: Lote Tuqiri, my mum, dad and sister.

Q: What is the one thing you need to do better in 2012 than you did in 2011?
A: Score more tries.

Q: What are your pre-game superstitions?
A: Never wash underpants all year.

Q: Who was your greatest inspiration growing up and why?
A: Lote Tuqiri. I just love watching him play.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/playerprofiledisplay/Wests Tigers/John Grant/5508

W

Waylon

It looks like Cost-a-Lote wrote it. There is a hint of bitterness about it........and a strong stench of boganism

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I actually reckon he wrote it. Don't know why, just do. I hope his attitude is better than it appears from the outside. He by all rights is going to be considered a fringe player and is going to have to earn his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.