• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Who isn't to say that Foley changes the risk averse game plan due to the backline composition? There's certainly a handful more quality players that might lend itself to a 'smart, creative, running rugby' gameplan.

But then again, it seems you are of the opinion that Foley will screw up our backline no matter what he does, or how dangerous/promising the new signings look.

The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looking at the signings made this year does anyone else think the Force could have a good chance of finishing reasonably highly this year maybe? Or is this me being wildly optimistic considering Foley is coach and a similar season was expected of the Waratahs of 2012?

I think we have a good chance of finishing mid table. It would be great to get out of the double digits. But for that to happen we would pretty much need to be the 3rd placed Aussie side. I can't see us outdoing the Brumbies or Tahs. Maybe the Reds will implode under Graham. Force fans would love to be in the finals but we'd definitely just settle for being competitive.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does the composition of the backline matter if Foley continues to play the risk averse game? Is he planning to move on from what we saw this year? I felt that the game plan this year was basically Tahs lite, ie the plan played at the Tahs without the pack selected and honed for three years to produce that plan.

A novel and counter-intuitive usage of the word "honed", Gnostic, employed in respect of what Foley did with to an international standard pack.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Given the current standard of the comp, where any given team has the capability to beat the top team, mid-comp would be a great result, its a tough and healthy comp.

And I gently disagree ChargerWA about future behaviour vis a vis past behaviour. Reds, Chiefs and Cheetahs have all been great examples of teams that changed their fortunes. And that is just the teams that improved! Tahs, Highlanders, Stormers all slumped.

So there is hope for us bottom dweller fans I argue, in the hands of thirty odd men and a few coaches.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And I gently disagree ChargerWA about future behaviour vis a vis past behaviour. Reds, Chiefs and Cheetahs have all been great examples of teams that changed their fortunes. And that is just the teams that improved! Tahs, Highlanders, Stormers all slumped.

So there is hope for us bottom dweller fans I argue, in the hands of thirty odd men and a few coaches.

He was talking about coaching style and game plans, not improvement in teams.

Cheetahs have been the most expansive of the SA sides for years and been steadily improving, but they haven't drastically changed game plans.

Reds and Chiefs changed coaches.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont know Foote but do know Wessels well. He was part of the Ikeys winning team head coached by John Dobson, the current WP Vodacom and u21 coach. Brachie was part of that team which include the likes of Kolisi, Etsebeth, Catrikilis, exct. The interesting part of Brachie is that he can also play for USA and has been plugged from boarding school to play for the Ikeys (UCT). That great cycle of players helped WP won the CC last year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A novel and counter-intuitive usage of the word "honed", Gnostic, employed in respect of what Foley did with to an international standard pack.

If you had ever seen me sharpen a knife Bruce you would say that I used the correct term, the skills were just lacking. :)

Seriously though, I am sure you can see what Foley and Hickey were seeking to achieve with their selection, training (including weight gain) and tactics. The problem is how short sighted it was in terms of outcomes both on the field and with regard to engagement with the fans.

I do hope that next year we will see the Force play a decent game plan and not this dire risk averse rubbish that infected the Tahs and Wallabies for so long. Their results below even the disjointed and unhappy Rebels this year should prove they need to change, as should the results a true conservative game plan achieved for the Brumbies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Who isn't to say that Foley changes the risk averse game plan due to the backline composition? There's certainly a handful more quality players that might lend itself to a 'smart, creative, running rugby' gameplan.

But then again, it seems you are of the opinion that Foley will screw up our backline no matter what he does, or how dangerous/promising the new signings look.

Where did I say that Foley will screw up the backline no matter who is selected? I posed a question based purely around historical performance.
The question is pertinent, as I am sure you will recall that the Tahs backline of 2009-2012 was stacked with current test players throughout that time as well as the pack. The implied answer (which I intended) which you have obviously taken umbrage to is that should the risk averse game plan continue then no matter who is signed it will make no one jot of difference, in exactly the same way as it did not make any difference for the Tahs.

I am looking for signing and indications that Foley is moving away from that narrow unambitious and failed plan, and then the potential of those signed can be truly realised. Without those structure huge potential talents like Godwin and Cummins will fail to be capitalised on.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Some more WP poaching, Dylan Leyds is some talent.
Sport24
Cape Town - Australian Super Rugby outfit, the Force, are eager to lure more Western Province players to Perth for next season.

They http://www.s24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Force-snap-up-Stormers-Marcel-Brache-20130801 - recently signed WP centre Marcel Brache and prop Chris Heiberg as part of their renewed focus on developing alternate avenues for selecting players.

According to Die Burger's http://www.dieburger.com/s - website, the Australians are now also after promising youngsters, fullback/flyhalf Dillyn Leyds and prop Francois van Wyk.

Kevin Foote, a former Ikeys coach who will be assistant coach at the Force next year, confirmed that they have offered the WP duo contracts. Leyds - a former Baby Bok - is currently part of the WP Under-21 side, while Van Wyk was part of WP's Vodacom Cup squad earlier this year.

Foote said the offers are only for one year. "It's a very good opportunity for them. They could always return," said Foote.

The Force also have South Africans, Sias Ebersohn (flyhalf) and Wilhelm Steenkamp (lock), on their books.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Coaching staff appointments of Dave Wessels and Kevin Foote from South Africa.

Wessels is a defence coach and helped the Brumbies in the 2012 pre-season and the Force last year.

Foote will look after the backs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe the Western Force will become the sixth SA team in the Super comp, seventh if you count the Brumbies. ;)

Reactions: TSR

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lacey is with the sevens program and u20 australian team was he not?

Needs to at least train with the squad
Not sure about the 7s but he did get a gig with the 20s. I see him pushing for a spot in the comjng years through the super b comp

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.