• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to give it to the Force for their recruitment. Heck even I questioned some of the recruitment decisions like recruiting the winger Jordan on loan from Leicester. But what they proved is the value of the older experienced players like thrush, Holmes, Kahui, Kearney,TK etc who despite their age still bring quality but more importantly experience and rugby iQ to help guide the team and younger players.

Credit has to be to those behind force recruitment strategy as needed to improve the squad from last year and given war for talent with overseas leagues showed they have been quite clever how gone about it. Lot people questioned in particular recruiting lot of older players but proved to be the master stroke as when had all those older players injured and missing the force struggled.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I love the older blokes playing, i feel like they have so much to add from a maturity and experience stand point, Australian Rugby for a long time has had an aversion to anyone over 30 because they're deemed too old. Just look at what guys like Cameron Smith and Benji Marshall have done in NRL into their twilight years, and that's no less physically demanding or intense.

Understand some guys in their later years want to chase one last big contract to set them up for life, which is usually from Europe or Japan. But there's merit in bringing guys like Greg Holmes home for one last season or two, even Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mowen, Hanson, JOC (James O'Connor) etc have all played on for another year or two following their big overseas contracts. I want to see more of it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I love the older blokes playing, i feel like they have so much to add from a maturity and experience stand point, Australian Rugby for a long time has had an aversion to anyone over 30 because they're deemed too old. Just look at what guys like Cameron Smith and Benji Marshall have done in NRL into their twilight years, and that's no less physically demanding or intense.

Understand some guys in their later years want to chase one last big contract to set them up for life, which is usually from Europe or Japan. But there's merit in bringing guys like Greg Holmes home for one last season or two, even Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mowen, Hanson, JOC (James O'Connor) etc have all played on for another year or two following their big overseas contracts. I want to see more of it.

Yeah especially bringing some of our guys BACK from O/S. The guys who have previously played test footy for Australia. I'm on board with a sprinkling of international players, but getting some old Aussie heads in the squads is a good thing.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Got to give it to the Force for their recruitment. Heck even I questioned some of the recruitment decisions like recruiting the winger Jordan on loan from Leicester. But what they proved is the value of the older experienced players like thrush, Holmes, Kahui, Kearney,TK etc who despite their age still bring quality but more importantly experience and rugby iQ to help guide the team and younger players.

Credit has to be to those behind force recruitment strategy as needed to improve the squad from last year and given war for talent with overseas leagues showed they have been quite clever how gone about it. Lot people questioned in particular recruiting lot of older players but proved to be the master stroke as when had all those older players injured and missing the force struggled.

All recruitment matters are handled by Director of Rugby, Matt Hodgson.
With input from Head Coach, Tim Sampson, and CEO Tony Lewis.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

I reckon with an average age of slightly <27yo, the Force probably has the oldest player squad.

The age spread as follows:
>35 - 5 (Heiberg, Holmes, Kahui, Longbottom, Thrush)
>30 <35 - 8 (Brache, Cubelli, Kearney, Lance, Prior, Pulu, Stander, Timani)
>25 <30 - 12
<25 - 17

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Explains a lot........

FoxSports - Christy Doran - 26 April 2021

Similarly to Jones’ England side since the World Cup, the Rebels have shown a lack of ambition and with the fear of failure they’ve not taken the chances when they’ve presented.

It’s the same crippling nature Matt Hodgson said hurt the Force in the years before their culling.
“I think we had the opportunity to express ourselves without the pressure of Super Rugby for a number of years and create a game style that suited the playing group that we had, and that’s what we’re building on now,” Hodgson, now the Force’s Head of Rugby, said ahead of the season.

“We want the players to continue to express themselves and play what’s in front of them like they were doing recently [without] the pressures that Super Rugby probably caused those players, so we want them to continue that ethos to just play football and focus on themselves.”

That new-found freedom helped the Force defeat the Reds on Friday night to book their maiden finals appearance, as England under-20s winger Jordan Olowofela scored a stunning hat-trick.

Article on Dave Wessels - read more

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Explains a lot....

FoxSports - Christy Doran - 26 April 2021

Similarly to Jones’ England side since the World Cup, the Rebels have shown a lack of ambition and with the fear of failure they’ve not taken the chances when they’ve presented.

It’s the same crippling nature Matt Hodgson said hurt the Force in the years before their culling.
“I think we had the opportunity to express ourselves without the pressure of Super Rugby for a number of years and create a game style that suited the playing group that we had, and that’s what we’re building on now,” Hodgson, now the Force’s Head of Rugby, said ahead of the season.

“We want the players to continue to express themselves and play what’s in front of them like they were doing recently [without] the pressures that Super Rugby probably caused those players, so we want them to continue that ethos to just play football and focus on themselves.”

That new-found freedom helped the Force defeat the Reds on Friday night to book their maiden finals appearance, as England under-20s winger Jordan Olowofela scored a stunning hat-trick.

Article on Dave Wessels - read more

lol new found freedom.

The Force scored 1 more try than the Rebels this season, ran less meters and made less line breaks.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Now the Waratahs are out, go the Mighty Force! Where are you now Bill..The dud.. Pulver? Great decision axing the Force because it was 'the right' financial decision and then taking a $300000 bonus after you left! Quality...

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have to love the passion of the Sea of Blue.
Top poem....Melanie Nelson

Let's hope it's an inspiration for the team for the Qualifying Final in Canberra.

Across the Nullarbor came a sound,
The earth trembled at our feet.
“There’s nothing left in the West”, they said,
But now they heard a beat.

And from the ashes, forged in fire,
A shape began to form.
Warriors from around the world,
The Western Force were born.

They weren’t alone as they breathed new life,
Around them standing strong,
Their army proud in a sea of blue,
Their voices raised in song.

And so this band of brothers grew,
Some called them renegades,
Barbarian hearts had joined as one,
In search of accolades.

Some battles would be lost, some won,
Men muddied, bashed and bruised,
But every time they lost their ground,
Surrender was refused.

For next to every fallen man,
The blue army would appear,
To raise them up and carry them,
Together, there’s no fear.

This is your story, a phoenix force,
A sum of all its parts,
Keep building and keep getting up,
You already have our hearts.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A terrible article by Christy Doran from FoxSports.
(No there's someone who has to move on!)

If he'd just focused on what Matt Hodgson actually said then he had the basis for a good article on where the Western Force is actually heading:

“There was definitely a moment where you stop and sit but it’s more when I go home and the adrenaline has stopped and you soak it in – that’s what I learned as a player, you’ve got to enjoy the moments and not let them pass by,” Hodgson told foxsports.com.au.

“I like doing that with the people close to me and you recognise that we’ve done this and it’s pretty exciting.”

“If you looked through a crystal ball in 2017, I don’t think you would have been seeing the position that the club is in now and pushing for a final berth,” Hodgson gleefully said.
“The whole club and the momentum and everyone who stayed strong have bought into the culture that we’re here to win.”

“We have to move on and focus on the now and the future,” Hodgson, who is Head of Rugby of the Western Force said.
“I’m planning for what the club’s going to look like for 2024 and 2025 and if we don’t learn from what we did wrong in the past we will never grow, so we’ve got to look at what we can control.

“If I’m too busy worrying about that stuff, I’m going to forget about what we’re here to do and that’s to play and put our best foot forward, so that’s what my focus is on. I’ve got a great bunch of players and staff and organisation that’s pushing forward and we want to be the leading force in rugby and that’s exciting.”

“I think it’s held us in good stead for this weekend,” Hodgson said, having qualified for the qualifying final on the back of three must-win games.
“We haven’t changed any of our preparation other than having to come to Canberra earlier because of the COVID situation and we’re just taking it in our stride."

“I know it’s a slightly different feeling, but we’ve been in this scenario where we’ve had to win each week to keep on going, and being put in pressure situations I know the players have been put in every different circumstance and can adapt to it.

“Winning’s a culture, winning’s something you’ve got to learn to do and now we’ve learned how to do it we’ve just got to keep on doing it.”

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. As soon as he described Hodgo as a “former Wallaby hardman” you knew it’d be largely a fairytale article.