• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2024

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is the problem with the force (I.e. player retention) always seem to have 10+ players leave at the end of the season
So how does that proble/perception fit with The Rebels with 13 and the Waratahs with 12 this year?

Perhaps it's more of a reflection of the low number of wins from these three teams.

Isn't the average Super Rugby career something like 2.5 seasons??
That means changes are a reality of the professional game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You’d usually expect a fair bit of turn over in the 2nd year of a coach too wouldn’t you? He gets the know which players he wants / who responds to him while the players get a better understanding of their place in the squad etc.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
You’d usually expect a fair bit of turn over in the 2nd year of a coach too wouldn’t you? He gets the know which players he wants / who responds to him while the players get a better understanding of their place in the squad etc.
Yep, and combined with the generally med-high attrition rate across all Aus Super Rugby teams, this isn't remarkably high at all. Very interested to see who lands where..

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I think it was Wayne Bennett during his Bronco years that said you need 20% turnover a year to keep the team fresh and I don’t think it’s as dire as this thread suggests.
Simpson and Kiribige were loan players so never ours.
Faainga was signed knowing he was going.
Mataele is probably nearing the end of his career so would likely be dropping in form. His brother won’t stick around if he doesn’t.
Makara didn’t live up to his potential, I don’t think he got a game so not a loss.
We have an over abundance of inside backs so Hegarty is the weakest link.
McCauley never seemed to kick on.
For me it’s Sankey and Strachan that are the losses.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it was Wayne Bennett during his Bronco years that said you need 20% turnover a year to keep the team fresh and I don’t think it’s as dire as this thread suggests.
Simpson and Kiribige were loan players so never ours.
Faainga was signed knowing he was going.
Mataele is probably nearing the end of his career so would likely be dropping in form. His brother won’t stick around if he doesn’t.
Makara didn’t live up to his potential, I don’t think he got a game so not a loss.
We have an over abundance of inside backs so Hegarty is the weakest link.
McCauley never seemed to kick on.
For me it’s Sankey and Strachan that are the losses.
isn't Mataele only 26?