• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
More than 28 years since the game was made open and people still get worked up over the reality of professional sport. Identify, remunerate and develop the best of your local talent or someone else will. Valetini is probably the best player VIC has produced in decades but the Brumbies made the call to sign him as a 17 year old. Shit happens.

Yes, from a development perspective there are probably too many players in some key positions going to Wallaby ineligible players across ALL the Franchises. But to try and lump that (as well any accusations of player theft, or lack of development) on the Force is simply foolish.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The travel demands are such a silly argument. It just means for half their games they are at a clear disadvantage and for half their games they are at a clear advantage, it’s all relative. They are also the team most likely to play under strength teams because sides choose to send squads there without key players. It all means they have more advantages to win at home but more disadvantages to pick up wins away from home.

The Force are doing their best given the circumstances handed to them, just like every other team does.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You think this is the Force's best side? It's basically a learning experience for younger players on how to conduct yourself as a professional player, travel, train and prepare for a game. A bit of team building and mateship under the guidance of a couple of senior players. If it makes you feel better to dump on the Force......hahaha let's butcher their name and call them the Farce, how cleaver. Well that speaks volumes for you and your inherent bias.
Thanks for proving my point.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
More than 28 years since the game was made open and people still get worked up over the reality of professional sport. Identify, remunerate and develop the best of your local talent or someone else will. Valetini is probably the best player VIC has produced in decades but the Brumbies made the call to sign him as a 17 year old. Shit happens.

Yes, from a development perspective there are probably too many players in some key positions going to Wallaby ineligible players across ALL the Franchises. But to try and lump that (as well any accusations of player theft, or lack of development) on the Force is simply foolish.
The Rebels did offer Valetini a contract and the next day the family shopped around and found a better offer. That’s professional sport.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why does any of the above actually matter? Do the Melbourne Storm, Sydney Roosters or New Orleans Pelicans actually produce players. This is the reality of professional sport.
No but the Sydney’s East produce a lot of players, and Louisiana is a massive talent pool, mainly football players but those are 2 poor examples?

None of this stops me putting shit on them for not producing players though because it’s true?

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
No but the Sydney’s East produce a lot of players, and Louisiana is a massive talent pool, mainly football players but those are 2 poor examples?

None of this stops me putting shit on them for not producing players though because it’s true?
Just go back to your waratahs page and you can enjoy all your fantastic signings like Sam Wykes, Jamie Roberts, Nemani Nadolo etc

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s hilarious you actually picked those 3. If you searched my posts I guarantee you I heavily criticised all 3 of those signings.

You couldn’t have picked 3 worse examples if you tried.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I mean if they actually had their Wallabies lineup fit all year they would’ve done better? Bell didn’t play, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) coming back from an Achilles. Porecki was often injured, Hanigan too. Gleeson missed a lot so did Foketi and Perese and then Jorgensen. Edmed played only a couple. Let’s see how they go when they don’t have half the team out each week but this isn’t about the Tahs.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I mean if they actually had their Wallabies lineup fit all year they would’ve done better? Bell didn’t play, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) coming back from an Achilles. Porecki was often injured, Hanigan too. Gleeson missed a lot so did Foketi and Perese and then Jorgensen. Edmed played only a couple. Let’s see how they go when they don’t have half the team out each week but this isn’t about the Tahs.
Cry me a river!
But you're right - this thread isn't about the Tahs and their depth of Wallaby talent.

All SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) teams had injury issues during 2023 but few use them as an excuse.
Most clubs take the opportunity to expose the broader squad and wider training group.

The WF player group also had it's fair share including:
Isack Rodda - Most of season (Wallaby)
Folau Fianga'a - 1/2 of season (Wallaby)
Tom Robertson - 1/2 of season (Wallaby)
Santiago Medrano - 1/2 of season (Puma)
Kane Koteka - Season
Jake Strachan - 3/4 season (SWINTON!)
Bryce Hegarty - 2/3 of season
Bayley Kuenzle - 2/3 of season
Ollie Callan - 1/2 of season
Toni Pulu - 1/2 of season
Gareth Simpson - 1/2 of season
Sam Spinks - 1/3 of season
Michael Wells - 1/3 of season
Zack Kibirige - 1/3 of season
Manasa Mataele - 1/3 of season
Tim Anstee - 1/4 of season
Ryan McCauley - 1/4 of season
Hamish Stewart - ~1/4 of season
Ollie Cummins - Most of season
Reesjan Pasitoa - Season
Henry Robertson - Season
Rupeni Mataele - Season
Andrew Romano - Season

Makes the Western Force results in 2023 even more commendable.

Last edited:

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Obviously they don’t produce many players but that’s not the point of the Western Force so this whole thing is a little weird. They are a professional team in a non-rugby geography meant to grow the game domestically and provide an opportunity for professional players (from anywhere).

If they were winning games and successful, none of this would be an issue.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
It is clear that 15 Super Rugby games and no second tier competition isn't a formula for successfully developing players to international standard. So I am pleased to see that many of you recognise that any extra competitive matches Is a good thing, be it the Force or Reds or whomever. Especially where it involves non-Super Rugby players who might not otherwise get the experience. I also think bringing back and further developing players who moved overseas should be encouraged and commended, which is why the Reds signing Joe Brial is a positive irrespective of where he went to school.