• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs NSW Waratahs, 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm a little late to be brining in a few comments, but here are some thoughts:

- Benn Robinson looked to be more active than in previous weeks around the park, and more effective than previously. IMO, he's one player that should be good for hit ups because of his natural low body height (shortarse).

-Palu was also more active, but I thought he wasn't as effective as we've seen. Made the gain line, but didn't go over.

-Promising that the Tahs are improving in increments. We'd love for them to be running at 100% every week, but I think the fact that they're slowly getting up to speed is encouraging because it could mean that they are pacing themselves well.

-Good to see Hickey clear the bench. Most of the replacements had a positive impact, but it would have been nice to see them get a little more time. Better than none, though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a little late to be brining in a few comments, but here are some thoughts:

- Benn Robinson looked to be more active than in previous weeks around the park, and more effective than previously. IMO, he's one player that should be good for hit ups because of his natural low body height (shortarse).

-Palu was also more active, but I thought he wasn't as effective as we've seen. Made the gain line, but didn't go over.

-Promising that the Tahs are improving in increments. We'd love for them to be running at 100% every week, but I think the fact that they're slowly getting up to speed is encouraging because it could mean that they are pacing themselves well.

-Good to see Hickey clear the bench. Most of the replacements had a positive impact, but it would have been nice to see them get a little more time. Better than none, though.

He gave great service from the base of the scrum, and made the gain line on every occassion and even though as you say he didn't break it that often he attracted two or three defenders to halt his progress, which allowed the Tahs to get over the gain line easily on the next phase. Look at the defenders Palu took out on each run and it is invariably two of the Force backrowers which destroyed the moe of play that the Force have used in their previous games to stay with other teams.

This is exactly where I hate the use of statistics. Purely looking at statistics without examination of the how and why they came about get give massively false impressions on what a player does. It all goes towards my arguments against "work rate" getting a player selected over the top of a player who is effective. Palu was effective.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't disagree with you, in fact I should have written that he did well in attracting defenders because I did note that.

I didn't use any statistics or mention workrate. Just effectiveness, and the fact that I didn't think Palu was as effective as he can be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gnostic

I know you despise stats, but they are a valid tool in judging of a player, they just shouldn't be used by themselves.

They don't measure the benefits of Palu's soft hands at the back of the scrum, they do measure effort.

Someone with they mental approach to get up and go again and fill that gap can be coached to add accuracy that will improve each "effort"

It is much harder to coach the guy who doesn't get up, doesn't chase kicks hard, doesn't work hard to be there to support etc etc.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic

I know you despise stats, but they are a valid tool in judging of a player, they just shouldn't be used by themselves.

They don't measure the benefits of Palu's soft hands at the back of the scrum, they do measure effort.

Someone with they mental approach to get up and go again and fill that gap can be coached to add accuracy that will improve each "effort"

It is much harder to coach the guy who doesn't get up, doesn't chase kicks hard, doesn't work hard to be there to support etc etc.

I agfree with you fully. The issue with Stats usage is that they generally get quoted with no discussion (as an 1st year Stats student can tell you is required when using stats in any context) of errors and measurement factors. Hence we end up with the same stats getting used to support all sorts of erroneous arguments. I do not hate stats as such, I just despise their use without the required discussion of what the numbers actually represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.