• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What Do Aussies Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I read this comment on a story in the NZ Herald and I wondered how Aussies would take to this:

While I am totally loving the NZ dominance over the Wallabies for the last 10 years, I have to agree that 'strong Australian rugby is better for everyone'

I was reading the article myself, and was amazed at the amount of "likes" this comment had received.

It would be great if it could be done. You'd want a couple of teams, and it would give some of the up & coming players a better rugby education than they seem to be getting at the moment.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the Kiwis owe it to us because we've let Kiwi teams into the NRL, NBL & Z League. I think they should allow a Brisbane & Sydney team at the very least.
Add the Netball to that. Several teams.
The Aussie Rules guys I bet have offered incentives too but not even Kiwis would touch that.

L

Linebacker_41

Yep I could support this.

You would probably want about 6 teams to enter into the top 2 tiers of the NZ competition (probably 4/2 split)

In the absence of a pathway for players I think the funding for any improvements in our game has to start not at Juniors and not in the professional pathway. The biggest investment we can make is in out officials.

IMO the referees, whilst working to the best of their abilities, are holding the development of our game back both in quality of players as well as participation.

Apart from expat Walsh we have no true international standard referees. Even if we could get teams into the iTM cup we would still need to invest in Ref's to improve the standard from Seniors all the way down to Juniors.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't know that Aussie teams in the ITM Cup are the way to go. The NRL, A-League and NBL are the premier club competitions in Australasia for their respective sports. As far as I know they are basically all commercial enterprises and are designed to make money. The ITM Cup on the other handloses money hand over fist and is propped up by the NZRU. Most of the teams are struggling even to break even. It is far from a premier level competition as its's standard is pretty poor and although it is popular in some provincial towns, stuggles to produce anywhere near the level of interest that Super Rugby does. I can't see how adding trans-Tasman flights and accomodation could help bring it closer to breakeven.

There already is a premier international club competition in the Southern Hemisphere which is the Super XV. What Australia appears to need is an internal competition for 10-12 quality sides that will provide it with some depth. It definitely does not need 1 or two elite teams to play in another competition. Virtually all of the players who play in that 1 or 2 teams would be Super Rugby players anyway.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
IMO the referees, whilst working to the best of their abilities, are holding the development of our game back both in quality of players as well as participation.

Apart from expat Walsh we have no true international standard referees. Even if we could get teams into the iTM cup we would still need to invest in Ref's to improve the standard from Seniors all the way down to Juniors.

Well we don't have any decent referees either but it doesn't seem to do us any harm.

T

TOCC

I don't know that Aussie teams in the ITM Cup are the way to go. The NRL, A-League and NBL are the premier club competitions in Australasia for their respective sports. As far as I know they are basically all commercial enterprises and are designed to make money. The ITM Cup on the other handloses money hand over fist and is propped up by the NZRU. Most of the teams are struggling even to break even. It is far from a premier level competition as its's standard is pretty poor and although it is popular in some provincial towns, stuggles to produce anywhere near the level of interest that Super Rugby does. I can't see how adding trans-Tasman flights and accomodation could help bring it closer to breakeven.

There already is a premier international club competition in the Southern Hemisphere which is the Super XV. What Australia appears to need is an internal competition for 10-12 quality sides that will provide it with some depth. It definitely does not need 1 or two elite teams to play in another competition. Virtually all of the players who play in that 1 or 2 teams would be Super Rugby players anyway.

I think thats the big issue at hand Dam0, its easy to compare to the NRL and A-League, but the ITM Cup is run similar to the Shefield Shield which is done so at a significant loss to Cricket Australia, however is done so to provide a 2nd tier of cricket to promote depth.

The only way an Australian side could be introduced would be at great expense, and no New Zealand team is going to agree to burden the costs, if a team is introduced it will be at the cost of the new Australian teams, maybe an expanded broadcasting agreement could alleviate this but its still going to be a loss.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wait.

You're telling me that us letting a Kiwi side into the NRL and promoting rugby league in their country was doing New Zealand a favour?

Sssshhhh BH. Keep that up and they will twig that it's actually a cunning ploy to disrupt the seemingly endless AB production line. Might take a few years, but gotta start somewhere. :)

T

TOCC

ironically a large number of RAAF fighter pilots are actually kiwis, they all migrated after the NZ Air Force was effectively disbanded

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Are any of them forwards?

Probably not, they'd all be too tall to be fighter pilots. It's the reason I'm not one!

Anyway, I like the idea of a trans Tasman rugby competition, always have. But the only way it would work would be if the Super rugby comp didn't exist. I don't think there are the resources to have both.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
ironically a large number of RAAF fighter pilots are actually kiwis, they all migrated after the NZ Air Force was effectively disbanded

Probably did the same as the Kiwi Aircraft heavy maintenance mechanics come over here & work at half the rate & fucked up all the shift penalties by agreeing to do overtime at a flat rate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ahh Swat, I am offended by that video,:mad: you know as well as I it would never be like that, where's the Haka on the beaches, surely that would make it an automatic win to NZ as it would give us a huge advantage:p ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.