• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Heard on the radio tonight that a placement that would earn $1 in print brings in 18c online

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From what we've seen of the Fairfax knife job, just shutting printing presses isn't enough for a digital publishing model to match the old printing model - it's not just paper paper and ink that's puffed up that market. It was a great racket while it lasted though - funded massive operations and made plenty of people very rich.

As for the money being made in new media - depends how you're talking. An article that someone sent me today from the SMH laid out how BS was actually only turning over a $250k profit with 40 staff. Yes, they got a great sale price - as did Huffpo, but as strategic acquisitions rather than proven money makers surely?

My point is just backing Moses' reply - taking the established journo model and whacking it online isn't a dollar printing press.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't mind one bit being a 'strategic acquisition' that gets bought out by a sugar daddy that can't innovate adequately themselves on digital platforms so has to buy in someone else's, if by so doing I turn every dollar into 10 on the way through and retire to a tropical paradise thereafter.

The point being that in this phase of the evolution of new media, it's actually not operating profit that is always king, it's - for example - carving out a high growth niche, building a great subscription model, achieving rapid, high growth eyeball accretion, making a digital delivery system that can remake an old print business etc. Unlocking new types of value for someone else, essentially.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Going back to the Business Spectator, that deal for $30 million is for the head company which also publishes the Eureka Report. The Eureka Report had revenue of almost $9 million and represents the bulk of the value in the business.

A major advantage that financial publications have is that almost every subscriber (whether they are a business or an individual) will be claiming a tax deduction for their subscription fees. If the government is paying between 31.5% and 46.5% of the cost then it makes it a lot more attractive to subscribe.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would that it were so, HJ. My observation across more than a few decades is that in organisational upheaval it is more usually the case that: "The turds float to the top."

Why is a septic tank like a [newspaper/Waratahs management/insert generic organisation of your choice]? The biggest lumps always float the highest.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To quote (my favourite muso) Jarvis Cocker:

Well did you hear, there’s a natural order.
Those most deserving will end up with the most.
That the cream cannot help but always rise up to the top,
Well I say: Shit floats.

E

ellabroz

Just posted a comment to Growden's joke of an article (Ruck & Maul) today.

"Well done Growden, more rumours, no facts!"

Unsurprisingly, it was rejected.

Does he ever leave his desk? Does anyone believe his constant stream of bullshit?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Check this out

newspaper-ad-spending.jpg

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Then map over the top of that graph Google's ad-derived revenue and you'll build out more of the whole picture as to what has happened to total advertising expenditure trends.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heard today from a usually trusty source that Grumbles is sounding out a gig at Rugby News.

Seems he will start off with a full page piece in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if my source was having a lend of me or not. I hope he was.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He didn't even apply for one of our jobs! Scared I reckon! Or maybe it was the working for the love of the game that turned him off.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ha ha. "Super League". Expect better attention to detail from Aunty ABC.

No job cuts or "overseasing" recently announced there.