• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You should take this NRC chat to the NRC forum, lads.

There are some lonely threads in there, feeling neglected. It's like the NRC is a backwater on GAGR. Show it some love.

Alternatively, move the NRC threads into the main forum. There's only 3–4 active threads moving very s l o w l y.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's precisely the reason why they will be playing, and have been selected for their respective squads...
OK, I am caught up with the news. Wasn't aware those teams announced.

Last think I heard was that it would be unlikely they would play.

Anyone know where other teams announced?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

There are some lonely threads in there, feeling neglected. It's like the NRC is a backwater on GAGR. Show it some love.

Alternatively, move the NRC threads into the main forum. There's only 3–4 active threads moving very s l o w l y.
Yes, happy to do that.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yep, good point. Will try to move it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Article in today's telegraph about Penrith about to be readmitted to Shute Shield following recent developments including major sponsor F45 coming on board and Penrith officials talking to Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest about acting as a feeder team for a western Sydney side to enter his World Series competition next year.

Given the importance of Western Sydney for Rugby's growth plans and the clear challenges they have had in growing the game in the west this has to sound the best idea I have heard in a long time that makes sense. If a Western Sydney rugby side can enter World Series Rugby it would be huge kudos to Twiggy and RA as such a big and badly untapped market.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really hope the suggestions in the media that Twiggy's camp and RA are still at loggerheads is a media beat up and there is good collaboration between them as I would rather RA be inside the tent with respect to supporting WSR then outside the tent as otherwise they have missed the best opportunity for Australian Rugby to grow the game in the region and in oz from the spinoff benefits since Rugby went professional.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I really hope the suggestions in the media that Twiggy's camp and RA are still at loggerheads is a media beat up and there is good collaboration between them as I would rather RA be inside the tent with respect to supporting WSR then outside the tent as otherwise they have missed the best opportunity for Australian Rugby to grow the game in the region and in oz from the spinoff benefits since Rugby went professional.

No qoutes at all from RA in that article and lots of unsourced "it's understood thats" suggest that may well be the case

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Article in today's telegraph about Penrith about to be readmitted to Shute Shield following recent developments including major sponsor F45 coming on board and Penrith officials talking to Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest about acting as a feeder team for a western Sydney side to enter his World Series competition next year.

Given the importance of Western Sydney for Rugby's growth plans and the clear challenges they have had in growing the game in the west this has to sound the best idea I have heard in a long time that makes sense. If a Western Sydney rugby side can enter World Series Rugby it would be huge kudos to Twiggy and RA as such a big and badly untapped market.

Interesting about a Western Sydney feeder team. And considering the absolute shamozzles that the RA have made of Western Sydney, it would be very hard for them to take the moral high ground.

But I'm sorry i cant see much co-operation coming from the RA, simply put that requires a level of sacrifice and potential loss of power which they simply will not surrender, which is exactly why the code is in its current position.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting about a Western Sydney feeder team. And considering the absolute shamozzles that the RA have made of Western Sydney, it would be very hard for them to take the moral high ground.

But I'm sorry i cant see much co-operation coming from the RA, simply put that requires a level of sacrifice and potential loss of power which they simply will not surrender, which is exactly why the code is in its current position.

Given the SRU and RA aren’t on the best of terms, I doubt the RA influence would matter. More important will be whether the SRU clubs think this is good or bad for them. The bigger clubs may see this as a chance to get themselves playing at the the highest tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Also, despite Forrest’s assertions otherwise, having influence in South America could be important for a comp that is called World Series Rugby, not Indo Pacific Series Rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Also, despite Forrest’s assertions otherwise, having influence in South America could be important for a comp that is called World Series Rugby, not Indo Pacific Series Rugby.

Having influence in SA or in particular with Pichot would allow him to apply more direct pressure on RA via WR (World Rugby). Fortescue will also be sponsoring the new Sth American league according to what I seen.

Reactions: dru

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Given the SRU and RA aren’t on the best of terms, I doubt the RA influence would matter. More important will be whether the SRU clubs think this is good or bad for them. The bigger clubs may see this as a chance to get themselves playing at the the highest tier.

In a way, what i was alluding to. The whole structure of the game here is essentially Wallaby-centric. The RA are trying to run a code through one team and the control it requires to do that.

It is simply compromised to any potential options like Twiggy ball. Any sharing of power on behalf of the RA requires a level of potential sacrifice of that power base required to maintain the status quo.

Which may ultimately lead to the whole House of cards collapsing. The question is what is best for the game here.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Taking a different perspective on this, another "what if".

How much influence and how strong would the bargaining position of ARU/RA be IF:
  • RA had reacted positively and warmly to Twiggy?
  • RA was working closely with a group looking to build a rugby base in Western Sydney
  • RA was helping drive the connection to this through the SRU helping creatively open opportunities that some in the SRU have been looking for
  • RA had built this Forrest relationship so strongly that they had firm closeness now with Pichot
  • A demonstrable "Plan B" was clearly occurring under RA encouragement
Then, let's talk with SANZAR as we go forward with the next Super negotiations. As it stands surely some in SANZAR will be wondering if Australia is bringing the right person to the table.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I know but one can be ever hopeful....but unfortunately I do agree the self interest and self preservation card for RA might be playing the background. But agreed given the complete shambles and failure to grow Western Sydney market it would be opportune for a Western Sydney team to join WSR, especially as always been talk could support 2 teams in Sydney but reality is more likely if in different competitions and moreso not joining the dead horse that is Super Rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You got to think SRU would welcome a Western Sydney team to WSR as it will provide the pathway to grow the game in the West which must be consistent with SRU aspirations. More opportunities above gets more people wanting to play rugby and hence more quality players for SRU etc etc.....

For me the idea of a Western Sydney team joining WSR would have to be the best idea I have heard in a long long time and as a Sydney Inner West fan I would sign up for membership from day 1 and I sure plenty others would too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You got to think SRU would welcome a Western Sydney team to WSR as it will provide the pathway to grow the game in the West which must be consistent with SRU aspirations. More opportunities above gets more people wanting to play rugby and hence more quality players for SRU etc etc...

For me the idea of a Western Sydney team joining WSR would have to be the best idea I have heard in a long long time and as a Sydney Inner West fan I would sign up for membership from day 1 and I sure plenty others would too.

Again, if it's done right I'd be 100% behind the move. Would also be a solid move for both Penrith and the soon to be rebranded Parramatta to align themselves with such a team. I'd certainly get on board with such a team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You got to think SRU would welcome a Western Sydney team to WSR as it will provide the pathway to grow the game in the West which must be consistent with SRU aspirations. More opportunities above gets more people wanting to play rugby and hence more quality players for SRU etc etc...

SRU is just a sub-union of NSWRU that runs club rugby. It isn't a competing organisation. If a team became part of WSR it would presumably be separate to any affiliation with SRU.

I think NSWRU and RA would entirely welcome funding for a team in western Sydney to join WSR or for Penrith to be re-capitalised so it can rejoin the Shute Shield.

The problem NSWRU has had growing rugby in the west is a lack of volunteer infrastructure that is needed to make clubs a success. It is no secret that grassroots rugby works on the back of countless hours of time given by volunteers. Areas where rugby is strongest have the most volunteers which also makes it very hard to grow new areas because you don't have that volunteer base. If you had the money it would be pretty easy to achieve by just employing all the people you need but sadly that has never been the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.