• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Newcastle for me would be obvious long term expansion option for WSR as I am a novacastrian and they are football mad down their culture wise and with good footy would get behind it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A few pages back North Harbour were touted as a possible addition to WSR. I've scoured every site I can think of & followed links to others I never knew existed without coming across a single reference. Does anyone have a source for this rumour?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not one. I've never heard, or read, it repeated from any NZ source. Only copypasta's from Australia into NZ sites. Seems unusual as something like that would normally come out somewhere -- even if just from the old 'anonymous sources' of Gregor Paul -- and it would likely create something of a puzzle in the Auckland rugby landscape.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can't remember the tweet or fb post i read this morning, but Jodi Hodgson stated in her post that she is looking forward to next seasons home and away competition. Wonder if this a strong indication it is going ahead? Fingers crossed

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not one. I've never heard, or read, it repeated from any NZ source. Only copypasta's from Australia into NZ sites. Seems unusual as something like that would normally come out somewhere -- even if just from the old 'anonymous sources' of Gregor Paul -- and it would likely create something of a puzzle in the Auckland rugby landscape.

I'd say it would fundamentally alter the landscape so even if it were just whispers in the proverbial smoke-filled rooms I'd expect Steve Tew to be in there kicking it to death before it can draw breath. The fact that no-one is talking about it, even on the more conspiratorial FB pages & TSF boards, makes me wonder htf it got started in the first place. I'm leaning towards it being a piss-take that someone somewhere took seriously.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

You'd think there would be an appetite for another team in Auckland. It must be hard work supporting the Blues.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's true. We are loyal, hard working, salt of the earth types here in Auckland.

Unlike those bandwagoning Cantabs.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, one of the key things it is waiting on is Rugby Australia.

WSR is not intended to be a "rebel" league. The preference is that it should be an Aus domiciled competition, and if that is to be the case then RA need to approve.

RA don't really want to get on board while Super rugby is uncertain and some juice remains in it. The soup hasn't turned to dust yet, it's still mud!

So they want to delay past the post-2020 Sanzaar decision that's meant to be made in the next few months, according to Steve Tew.

The World Series Rugby teams being canvassed are not greenfield entities, they don't start from zero. But any 2019 WSR comp will start (if it starts) at a realistic playing standard. It will be below the current soup. A lot of rugby's general focus will be on the RWC next year, but 2020 will be where it begins to get interesting.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, one of the key things it is waiting on is Rugby Australia.

RA don't really want to get on board while Super rugby is uncertain and some juice remains in it.

So they want to delay past the post-2020 Sanzaar decision that's meant to be made in the next few months, according to Steve Tew.

Are you saying they still might can it?

That surely can't happen.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I imagine RA will endorse any match that Twiggy wants to play on Australian soil. They have so far.
They may not endorse the eligibility of players that are contracted to the various non-Australian teams.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think they'd make it stick if they had to, dru.

It's only a proposed team with overseas PI input. Not fully a Sydney team.

"For rugby to survive we need to keep the Wallabies strong as an absolute priority and that means RA contracts focusing on the Super Rugby heartland teams."​
You don't want an alternative 20 km down the road. Chuck in a player combination/team analysis from Darwin—Benny, not Charlie—to support a bailout/boost in funding to Qld and NSW and continued cash to all n Supe teams, where n = 4 (or if it turns to custard, n=3).

That's the RA constituency. Keep those members paid up and the wheels rolling. At least for while.

There's no member votes in Western Sydney, bro.

Reactions: dru

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
"For rugby to survive we need to keep the Wallabies strong as an absolute priority and that means RA contracts focusing on the Super Rugby heartland teams."​

Essentially it is that rigid thinking and narrow focus that will ultimately confine the code in Australia to forever remain a minor sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.